6v Batteries and Solar Controller - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
6v Batteries and Solar Controller

Hi all,

I have a GoPower 30a solar controller, 4-6v batteries in series/parallel, and a 100w panel on the roof. My controller won't indicate above 90% on the battery level. It shows this even when the trailer is plugged in to house power and the voltage reads 13.7v (max level indicated).

Questions...What would be the 100% charge voltage for this configuration? How would I determine if it's the batteries or the controller that is the issue?
jdoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the only way to get 100% of out lead acid batteries is an absorption phase charge cycle of 14.2-14.4V for a few hours after the bulk phase peters out. this requires a 3 stage 'smart' charge controller. the WFCO controller's in Escapes don't do this, the PD46xxV replacement modules do. Solar controllers won't, either, since the sun goes down before they ever get there and they essentially have to start over. anyways, a 100W solar panel, that is only 7 or so amps max, which is awfully low charge rate for 4 GC batts, probably totalling 450 amp*hour at 12V, maybe 5400 watt*hours.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0
I'm considering adding a 190W panel on the roof which would give me 290w total into the built in controller and then use a 100w portable solar.
jdoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Also, a solar controller can only guess at the batteries true state. you really need a separate battery monitor that has a shunt on the negative pole to measure actual current in and out, along with a wire to the + terminal to monitor battery voltage. I'm using hte Victron SmartShunt, which is bluetooth only, so you check on it with an app on your phone. Victron and others make similar units that have a dedicated display for basic battery state as well as the bluetooth interface for more in depth info.

With the smartshunt, I need to configure it for the type and size of batteries I have, fully charge them with the power converter, then 'synchornize' the shunt so it knows thats 100%, and its good to go.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Check page 18 of the GoPower Manual. It states that the only time the display will show 100% is immediately after a completed boost & absorption run or after equalization. 100% on their scale = >12.8V. You can only get an accurate voltage measurement with all charging sources off, no load & the battery resting for an hour or two.

I agree with John that a shunt based amp hour meter is the best way to get an accurate measurement of the State of Charge of your batteries.