After build Inverter install questions - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #101

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Whats better than sliced bread?

Toast !!!

I Finished Up the DC wiring today.Thanks for every ones help on this project.This has Not the best weather for this project. I will have to wait a few months to seal the wiring holes. Pictures are worth a 1000 words and might help someone in the future . I used the windy nation 2/0 welding wire.To protect the Cables outside I used water proof and UV resident marine grade shrink wrap. I followed TDF instructions and removed the frame ground from the battery . The 7 pin box and the wfco converter are the only two grounds to the frame. Also Ground wire from the shunt to the wfco ground stud.I chose to leave the current 8 AWG wiringBy putting a junction stud in the positive 2/0 cable next to the fuse I was able to just use a 2" jumper to feed the existing 50 amp fuse.This resulted in the rest of the 8AWG wire being less than 2' long witch should handle the load. The marine battery mount fuse was to tall to fit under the battery cover. I built a buss bar out of 3/8" copper and Inverted the fuse holder so it would Reach to side of battery.This worked great in the 19' as there is some dead space in front of the batteries.My goal was to do this without using up the free floor space behind converter . I wanted to keep this space open in case I added lithium batteries Or AGM inside in the future .
I was a little concerned about the ability of cheap grip tool to preform a solid crimp. I cut one in half as you can see in the photo it did a fair job of fusing everything solid. Although I did not save much money from the EFT install I did end up with heavy gauge wire and My control panel in a more usable location.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210219_145422.jpg   IMG_20210208_191351.jpg   IMG_20210219_095925.jpg   IMG_20210219_102809.jpg   IMG_20210219_100737.jpg  

IMG_20210219_143935.jpg   IMG_20210219_144155.jpg   IMG_20210219_154540.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #102

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Toast !!!

I Finished Up the DC wiring today.Thanks for every ones help on this project.This has Not the best weather for this project. I will have to wait a few months to seal the wiring holes. Pictures are worth a 1000 words and might help someone in the future . I used the windy nation 2/0 welding wire.To protect the Cables outside I used water proof and UV resident marine grade shrink wrap. I followed TDF instructions and removed the frame ground from the battery . The 7 pin box and the wfco converter are the only two grounds to the frame. Also Ground wire from the shunt to the wfco ground stud.I chose to leave the current 8 AWG wiringBy putting a junction stud in the positive 2/0 cable next to the fuse I was able to just use a 2" jumper to feed the existing 50 amp fuse.This resulted in the rest of the 8AWG wire being less than 2' long witch should handle the load. The marine battery mount fuse was to tall to fit under the battery cover. I built a buss bar out of 3/8" copper and Inverted the fuse holder so it would Reach to side of battery.This worked great in the 19' as there is some dead space in front of the batteries.My goal was to do this without using up the free floor space behind converter . I wanted to keep this space open in case I added lithium batteries Or AGM inside in the future .
I was a little concerned about the ability of cheap grip tool to preform a solid crimp. I cut one in half as you can see in the photo it did a fair job of fusing everything solid. Although I did not save much money from the EFT install I did end up with heavy gauge wire and My control panel in a more usable location.
Excellent job of wiring! You may not have saved much from Escape doing it but it is definitely a better installation.

I see the pic of the toast - I'm assuming that you did that using the inverter.

edit: I looked back at your pictures and noticed that the plywood cover sets on top of the batteries. Could that be an issue if the plywood gets wet? A thin sheet of lexan glued to the side of the plywood that is next to the battery terminals might be a good idea.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:31 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Excellent job of wiring! You may not have saved much from Escape doing it but it is definitely a better installation.

I see the pic of the toast - I'm assuming that you did that using the inverter.

edit: I looked back at your pictures and noticed that the plywood cover sets on top of the batteries. Could that be an issue if the plywood gets wet? A thin sheet of lexan glued to the side of the plywood that is next to the battery terminals might be a good idea.

Yes that the first slices of toast!! I even made the wife come out and have a slice with me. The plywood cover is the ETI install. They use 1/2" bare plywood. I ended up putting 3 coat of polyurethane on it. The cover does not touch the terminal as it sits on top of the vents . There is about 3/8" air space from the top of terminals to bottom of plywood.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210219_144037.jpg  
Old 02-19-2021, 08:41 PM   #104

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Yes that the first slices of toast!! I even made the wife come out and have a slice with me. The plywood cover is the ETI install. They use 1/2" bare plywood. I ended up putting 3 coat of polyurethane on it. The cover does not touch the terminal as it sits on top of the vents . There is about 3/8" air space from the top of terminals to bottom of plywood.
Not touching the terminals and a good coat of poly - you definitely have all the bases covered.

Since the 19 can be used as a go by for the 17 battery wiring just flipped, your installation makes a good reference on how it should be done. Now if someone would do a 5.0, that would cover all the models.

Oh, and we Texans got to see what that white stuff is that is around your trailer in the pics. Would you please not send any more as we don't handle it well down here.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:54 PM   #105

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Would you please not send any more as we don't handle it well down here.

I thought you'd be helping them rewire the electrical grid.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #106

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Toast !!!
Nice work! That definitely took some time and thought to do it right. Glad your inverter and shunt are inside and well protected. You used your space very efficiently. Great to allow for possible future batteries inside.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #107

Quote:
Not touching the terminals and a good coat of poly - you definitely have all the bases covered.

Since the 19 can be used as a go by for the 17 battery wiring just flipped, your installation makes a good reference on how it should be done. Now if someone would do a 5.0, that would cover all the models.

Oh, and we Texans got to see what that white stuff is that is around your trailer in the pics. Would you please not send any more as we don't handle it well down here.
Yes you guys got a little white stuff, But I am sure yours will melt before mine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210220_162823.jpg