Any better alternative to Progressive Dynamics PD 4635LIV repl for WFCO? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Any better alternative to Progressive Dynamics PD 4635LIV repl for WFCO?

I've read where folks have replaced the WFCO converter with the Progressive Dynamics PD 4635LIV when changing to lithium. My understanding is that it doesn't have a float charging mode and continuously charges at 14.6 volts. Does anyone know if this unit has been upgraded or if there is an alternative? Thanks.
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:01 PM   #2
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
When I converted our trailer ot LiFePO4, I called BattleBorn technical service concerning their recommendation for AC-DC converters (WFCO, Progressive Dynamics, etc.), float voltage requirements, etc. Staff in their testing lab were not happy with the WFCO Li unit since it cut out to a lower voltage too early. In terms of needing a float voltage, they told me to just rely on the BMS to manage the state of charge.

I recommend that you contact the Li battery manufacturer technical service for their recommendation.

2 cents
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
I've read where folks have replaced the WFCO converter with the Progressive Dynamics PD 4635LIV when changing to lithium. My understanding is that it doesn't have a float charging mode and continuously charges at 14.6 volts. Does anyone know if this unit has been upgraded or if there is an alternative? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVA View Post
When I converted our trailer ot LiFePO4, I called BattleBorn technical service concerning their recommendation for AC-DC converters (WFCO, Progressive Dynamics, etc.), float voltage requirements, etc. Staff in their testing lab were not happy with the WFCO Li unit since it cut out to a lower voltage too early. In terms of needing a float voltage, they told me to just rely on the BMS to manage the state of charge.

I recommend that you contact the Li battery manufacturer technical service for their recommendation.
Agree. Because Lithium batteries have an internal BMS they don't really need a smart charger. They just need to be presented with a higher voltage to use.

I also agree check with your battery manufacturer for their recommendation.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
So is the thinking that it's better not to have the WFCO or PD controller try to manage the charge and possibly go to float too early, so it's actually better to rely on the battery's own BMS? Which would mean getting a constant 14.6 volts from the controller is best?
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium, progressive dynamics, wfco converter