Dometic AC interior fan noise - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Dometic AC interior fan noise

As everyone knows these AC’s are very loud inside the trailer. We just got ours out of storage and I decided to confirm the AC was working. It blows cold no problem. The interior fan seems to now have a high frequency component that I don’t recall from previous use.
It is a 2019 model but has very limited use, maybe 20 hrs.
Could it require a cleaning or service ? I removed the interior plastic intake grill, it has a mesh screen that is perfectly clean, the inside is clean, no obvious issues.
Any suggestions ?
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I find as I age, my hearing diminishes, thus no issue with a/c noise......
Old 05-10-2022, 04:04 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
As everyone knows these AC’s are very loud inside the trailer. We just got ours out of storage and I decided to confirm the AC was working. It blows cold no problem. The interior fan seems to now have a high frequency component that I don’t recall from previous use.
It is a 2019 model but has very limited use, maybe 20 hrs.
Could it require a cleaning or service ? I removed the interior plastic intake grill, it has a mesh screen that is perfectly clean, the inside is clean, no obvious issues.
Any suggestions ?
Bob

my 2020 started making high frequency noise witch got worse over time. I had only used it a few times. I was going to take in for service to look at. they where backed up for months . I removed the inside shroud and determined it was the fan just hitting. I then took off the outside cover and found one of the motor bolts had vibrated loose and fell off . I reinstalled it and tightened and have had no issues. Not sure if thats your problem by its worth a check.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
my 2020 started making high frequency noise witch got worse over time. I had only used it a few times. I was going to take in for service to look at. they where backed up for months . I removed the inside shroud and determined it was the fan just hitting. I then took off the outside cover and found one of the motor bolts had vibrated loose and fell off . I reinstalled it and tightened and have had no issues. Not sure if thats your problem by its worth a check.
Thanks so much, very helpful, I’ll have a look.

When I first turn it on and the fan starts I can hear what sounds like it touching something, as the fan accelerates the sound goes up in frequency until it’s a high pitch, maybe 4 or 5 Khz. I don’t know if the interior fan is accessible from the inside or outside ?

Bob
Old 06-02-2022, 09:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Had the same issue and I think I posted a few pics about the repair. In short, you have to get on the roof and take off the cover to the AC. The motor bolts had come of and had to be re-attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #6

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I’ll take the cover off and have a look. Sounds you guys have nailed it.
Bob
Old 06-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Should have added that you should ensure that if you get on the roof you should spread your load out. A piece of 3/4" plywood with a moving blanket under it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I’ll take the cover off and have a look. Sounds you guys have nailed it.
Bob
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:00 PM   #8

Thanks, will do !
B