Champion 2000w dual fuel generator - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Champion 2000w dual fuel generator

I have a 2014 21' Eacape and am wondering about a generator, mostly for the house in case of a power outage, but want something that would run the AC in the trailer. The Champion dual fuel 2000w unit is rated quite well and is poetable and affordable. Will it run the AC in my trailer?

I see lots of people use the Honda 2200 with no trouble but its a bit more powerful.
thanks for any input.

tim
Tim Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Check the performance rating on both gasoline and propane for the generator. The 2000 watt rating is probably for gasoline. The output on propane will probably be about 15% less, likely just a little too low for running your AC.

If in fact your primary intended use is for house back up, you might want to consider the 3500 watt dual fuel unit. Yes, it is heavier and more expensive, but it will support your house better and will certainly support the AC on your trailer. Some folks keep the larger unit in their pickups and run them from there so they don't have to lift them in and out except at the beginning and end of their trips. The 100 lb. weight of the larger unit can be a bit much for some folks.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:10 PM   #3

thanks for the quick response. You make a good point, thh 3500 would run more stuff in the house. Im mostly concerned about the freezer but I would need to verify if the 2000 would start that.
Old 10-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I assume based on the year of your trailer you have the 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin. Before I installed a mini-split our experience near sea level is that the Honda EU2000i (1600W rated) would run the A/C but nothing else. It might go in to overload for example if the converter was trying to charge the battery at the same time. My parents have used it to power two or three refrigerators (cycling) during an extended power outage in their neighborhood. Some have reported that EU2000i/EU2200i's and other "2000W" models would not run their A/C (maybe elevation influences) without the addition of an MicroAir EasyStart. It looks like Champion also makes a 2500W model but look at the running watts. The Champion is 1850W rated on gasoline so it is basically equivalent to a Honda EU2200 that is rated 1800W. That 2500W model might be a decent choice for a balance of cost, power, noise and portability. As was mentioned watch your derate on propane. The Champion 2500W rated at 1665W running on propane is essentially equivalent to a Honda EU2000i running on gasoline.
Old 10-27-2021, 10:07 PM   #5

Rubicon, thank you for the detailed response. it is clear the2500 would be a better choice than the 2000.