Honda EU2200i propane conversion kit. Hutch Mtn or Genconnex? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2020, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
Honda EU2200i propane conversion kit. Hutch Mtn or Genconnex?

Genconnex says "no holes" Hutch Mtn has a TRI fuel. Anyone experienced with this?
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
First, I’m not sure why you would want a Tri-fuel Honda EU2200 if you are going to use it camping. The third fuel is natural gas and it contains less BTUs than propane, which contains less than gasoline. And people typically do not have a source of natural gas on the road.

And I’m not sure what you mean by no hole propane conversion. Propane conversion kits still utilize the carburetor and you have to get the propane to the carburetor which is inside. Perhaps this is done by removing the side access panel. When I looked at the do-it-yourself kits from Genconnex it appeared as though there was some kind of QD Fitting on the side of the Honda and my Honda doesn’t have any holes where a fitting could be installed without drilling one. Maybe I am missing something here. I converted an EU2000 to propane and it is a simple job, but I had to drill a hole.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I have the Hutch Mountain kit on my Honda e2200i. Works great on propane and natural gas. I plan to never have gasoline in it, so I don't have to worry about old gasoline residues in the fuel system.
The Hutch Mountain kit requires 1 hole in the plastic case, for the propane/natural gas quick-connect and elbow to pass through.
Inside the case, a hose connects the above fitting to a flange, that bolts on between the air cleaner and carburetor throat. To change from propane(LP) to natural gas(NG), you take the hose off the flange, unscrew the small NG fitting, and screw on the LP fitting (and vice versa for the other fuel). It takes about 30 seconds to change.
We use natural gas when the Utility Co. shuts down the grid due to area brush fires (we're in So.Calif.). We use propane with our Escape if we're dry camping in hot areas (think: Mojave Desert or Owens Valley).
The photo shows the generator quick-connected by hose to the the Hutch Mountain external regulator, and an appliance connector (flex metal) connected to the regulator on the propane. Also in the background is our natural gas line extension to an S/O valve and flare connector for the appliance connector.
Attached Thumbnails
gen 5.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:21 AM   #4

Thank you C&G in Florida and dfandrews for your replies.

The trifuel intrigues me because I like options. I don't ever see the need for natural gas OR gasoline but I could if I needed it. As little as I run the generator now I see the value of keeping gas out of the system.

I have now hear from two Hutch Mountain users - both happy with the conversion - and those endorsements give me confidence.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I know the Honda EU2200i will run the A/C in our 2020 21NE without a problem...but we're just 300 feet above sea level.
Since propane provides less energy - what is the drop in power output?
Both at sea level and at 2000 feet?
Curious if the conversion kit is suitable when considering elevation variations vs energy output...will propane operate A/C with this generator if you're in the mountains?
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
I know the Honda EU2200i will run the A/C in our 2020 21NE without a problem...but we're just 300 feet above sea level.
Since propane provides less energy - what is the drop in power output?
Both at sea level and at 2000 feet?
Curious if the conversion kit is suitable when considering elevation variations vs energy output...will propane operate A/C with this generator if you're in the mountains?
On a scale of minor/medium/major the power loss from running propane I would classify as minor. I would expect the EU2200 would operate the A/C at 2,000 feet. I doubt it would at 10,000 feet. But in my mountaineering experience, above 3,000 feet it is unusual to need A/C. So it really depends on the altitude where you plan to go.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
We live in Denver, the mile high city at 5280'. The forecast for today is 100 F.
Comfort at 3000' depends on many things, not just altitude.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
Ops

Well... just did some checks for elevation here in Canada... curiosity continues.
Calgary is over 3000 feet.
Canmore is in the mountains at over 4500 feet about an hour west of Calgary.
A/C has been needed in those locations on occasion.
Same generator...with propane...will it run A/C in those areas?
Old 07-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
I'm hoping not to need AC at high elevations. I live near Atlanta. Our heat and humidity is so thick you can wear our weather. Planning a Yellowstone trip next summer. Crossing fingers.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
This is the first I’ve heard of these kits. If you convert, can you still use gas? And how long of a runtime do you get on a large propane tank running AC?
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
This is the first I’ve heard of these kits. If you convert, can you still use gas? And how long of a runtime do you get on a large propane tank running AC?
It depends on the conversion kit. Most are at least 2 way (Gas & Propane). There may be conversions that only run on propane, but that is unusual for small generators (although you can purchase propane only generators such as the Baja 900.).

As to run time, it depends on the load & the size of the generator. A starting estimate for a 2200 watt generator is around 2 pounds per hour at 1/2 load. Again, this depends on the generator & load. For example, the Baja 900 linked above states it will run 60 hours on a full 20 pound propane tank at 25% (175 watts) load.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #12

Trailer: Oliver 23
I have a Genconnex conversion kit, and I am happy with it. I don't like the idea of carrying gasoline, and since I use the generator very infrequently, the gas would go bad.
For the Genconnex conversion, one pulls out the internal gas tank, and in that space goes the large Genconnex propane regulator. Other types of propane conversion kits have this large regulator on the outside.
For higher elevation use, Genconnex offers a free (I think) high altitude fuel orifice kit for generator operation at altitudes above 5,000 feet.
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyD View Post
We live in Denver, the mile high city at 5280'. The forecast for today is 100 F.
Comfort at 3000' depends on many things, not just altitude.
Yes, but after the sun goes down does it stay at 100°. F or does it drop to the point that by opening a window and running the MaxxFan to suck in outside air you can sleep comfortably. I mentioned 3,000 feet elevation because I don’t sit inside the trailer during the daylight hours and only need cool air for sleeping. 3,000 feet is normally comfortable for me for sleeping during nighttime hours; maybe not for others.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:14 AM   #14

So I'm really tempted to get the Hutch Mountain kit - but it voids the Honda's warranty, no? Anyone put off by this? Worth the risk?
Old 07-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
Ops

Quote:
So I'm really tempted to get the Hutch Mountain kit - but it voids the Honda's warranty, no? Anyone put off by this? Worth the risk?
I recently bought our Honda EU2200i generator and the dealer was very specific..."any alteration to the machine will void the 3 year warranty". I'm still mixed on which way I'll go.

I think a lot will depend on how often we'll use the generator. If it's rarely used over the first year (maybe stretch assessment out to 2 years), and the unit has no problems over that year (or two), than I'll add the conversion.

Why lug around gasoline if I'm only going to use the generator now and then, since I'm already carrying propane with the trailer?
Old 07-20-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

Hmm. I just looked at Hutch Mountain’s site and they say this on their warranty page:

Honda Warranty

In our experience Honda has been great to cover any malfunctions with their generators that are not associated with the propane kit (recalls, invertor board, ignition system, etc) However, if the Hutch Mountain conversion causes harm to your gen, Honda’s warranty will not cover it – rightfully so.

In 8 years we have not had a SINGLE Honda returned with an issue associated with the propane conversion. You are in good company with the thousands who have successfully used the Hutch Mountain conversion over the years. This is why we ONLY do conversions for Honda. They are amazing! 😊

Contact us if you have a potential warranty issue during your Honda warranty & we’ll be happy to help.

Would you trust that?
Old 07-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Hmm. I just looked at Hutch Mountain’s site and they say this on their warranty page:

Honda Warranty

In our experience Honda has been great to cover any malfunctions with their generators that are not associated with the propane kit (recalls, invertor board, ignition system, etc) However, if the Hutch Mountain conversion causes harm to your gen, Honda’s warranty will not cover it – rightfully so.

In 8 years we have not had a SINGLE Honda returned with an issue associated with the propane conversion. You are in good company with the thousands who have successfully used the Hutch Mountain conversion over the years. This is why we ONLY do conversions for Honda. They are amazing! 😊

Contact us if you have a potential warranty issue during your Honda warranty & we’ll be happy to help.

Would you trust that?
Yes, I personally would. The Honda is well made and not likely to have any warranty problems, at least IMO. I have the older EU2000i and run it both on gasoline or propane. Mine is several years old, out of warranty, but never had any problems whatsoever.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
While I don't have a Honda I can vouch for https://centuryfuelproducts.com/ I used them on my Champion and it works great.
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I know this is an old thread, but I bought a genconnex propane and natural gas kit for a new Honda eu2200i, and I converted it myself. It was easy to do.

It comes with 2 jets. I camp with it on propane. At home in OKC, we have the occasional power outage that tend to last several days or more sometimes. I got tired of it and installed a transfer switch and L14-30 outlet. Also, a quick disconnect near my natural gas meter. I switch jets out, and have power to run my refrigerator and essential things.

The EU2200i runs excellent on propane in both Eco and full throttle mode. On natural gas, it performs well at full throttle. I read, but can’t verify, that genconnex has made changes to improve Eco idle on natural gas across all the Hondas they make kits for. You remove the fuel tank to install their kit on this model, but it’s not anything I miss.

I can vouch that the Genconnex kit works good, but it is expensive.
dpluml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 02:45 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome to our forum Dale.......