Hot water tank Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Ok, got it thx. Appreciate your help. They tell me this info is in book. Not seeing it.
Hi: johnnyv... The only way I know most of this stuff is because I'm in "Hot water" all the time!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021
Good one Artist ! Makes two of us.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You can’t say your goose is cooked without hot water somewhere in the process. Ever scald a big Toulouse about Ten O Clock at night, scald him, dress him and pick pin feathers till about midnight? Then explain to Miss McReynolds, the American literature teacher as to why you don’t have your reading assignment done? It went something like “my dad traded a brake job for a goose and he got home from the tavern about ten and we set to dressing that big boy.” She will roll her eyes and mutter something about “no hope”. And that’s how character is built.
Iowa Boy
Iowa Dave
Old 05-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Finding out amps on an outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
If you mean turning off the inside hot water heater switch (propane) and leaving on the outside switch inside Suburban door (electric) then YES. Depending on your power service you don’t want to run high draw appliances simultaneously though. For example if you are on a 15A circuit don’t combine HWH on electric, A/C or microwave.
Question for rubicon327:
How do you know the amperage you are using, for example, I am going to visit my son and his family in WI. I'll be plugging into somewhere at his house. Do I find where that outlet is in the breaker box and see the amps on the breaker? Or is there a standard way of figuring this out. I am assuming it will be 110, which I am 99.99% sure it is. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2021, 07:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PleinAirCedar View Post
Question for rubicon327:
How do you know the amperage you are using, for example, I am going to visit my son and his family in WI. I'll be plugging into somewhere at his house. Do I find where that outlet is in the breaker box and see the amps on the breaker? Or is there a standard way of figuring this out. I am assuming it will be 110, which I am 99.99% sure it is. Thanks!
Amps being used while plugged into shore power are displayed on the EMS (surge protector), assuming you ordered one during the build.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:04 PM   #26

stephen99,
OMG, I don't even know where my 17b's surge protector is. But I did order one, just double checked my build sheet from Feb 2018. Is it one of those panels under the double dinette? I read my owner's manual and its not in the electrical section. I am going outside and looking around right now!

thanks for pointing that out.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
stephen99,
OMG, I don't even know where my 17b's surge protector is. But I did order one, just double checked my build sheet from Feb 2018. Is it one of those panels under the double dinette? I read my owner's manual and its not in the electrical section. I am going outside and looking around right now!

In our 21 the EMS is located on the driver side dinette bench. It's a small black rectangle about 2 inches by 4 inches. While in operation the display cycles thru volts, hertz, amps and error code if any.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Question for rubicon327:
The voltage will definitely be 120V if it’s a standard outlet. (Some large appliances like electric dryers and electric stoves can be wired to provide 240V but it’s a specialty plug.) Really the bigger question will be whether it’s a 15 or 20A circuit you are on. Maybe your son will know what breaker it’s on and you can see the rating in the main panel. Make sure it doesn’t have any other major loads besides the trailer. Even so you won’t have the full 30A available the trailer is designed for. You will need to limit the use of major loads simultaneously. If you have the EMS as mentioned you can see the amps you are drawing on the scrolling display which is very convenient.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:24 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: johnnyv... The only way I know most of this stuff is because I'm in "Hot water" all the time!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Amps being used while plugged into shore power are displayed on the EMS (surge protector), assuming you ordered one during the build.
If you didn’t order an ems, there are plenty of surge suppressors that will measure that. I’m a fan of huges bulldog surge suppressors. They come in two flavors, a basic surge that you can connect with your phone and will show you real time and can alert you when your under or over voltage. They make the upgrade version that will shut off the system if the previous mentioned conditions are met. They also offer the unit in pedastal and built in versions which would be an easy retrofit. Cheaper than progressive industries offering, but seems to do the same thing only with Bluetooth connectivity. I have the basic pedestal version. Also the protection circuit is replaceable on both units at a very reasonable cost making it even more attractive.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:15 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
stephen99,

The usual location for the surge protector is under the driver's side rear dinette seat. The display is separate from the actual EMS (surge protector) and is a small box with rotating red LED characters that display voltage, amperage, frequency, and an error code, and a switch that lets you turn it off & on. It is wired to the EMS, so is probably located near it. Mine was on the front edge of the driver's side rear bench seat.

If you are plugged into a 15/20 amp receptacle, you can use the display to insure that you are not overloading the receptacle. If you have the electric option for the water heater, in alone draws 13-14 amps until the water is hot, so I'd shut it off using the switch located under the outside water heater cover. Use propane if you need hot water & any other high current appliance. Other large loads include the microwave & the air conditioner. Most plug in heating appliances also ofter present high current loads.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #31

I found it. I just spaced out and didn't realize that the "code control center display" is really called the EMS or Surge Protector. I even keep the card that ETI gave me in the drawer right next to the awning remote that refuses to stay magnetized to its wall holder. That may be my fault for the bumpy roads I drive or maybe the large amounts of dust that has been blowing around here the last couple years. (Drought epicenter in the West)