Larger propane tanks - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I thought about a window or opening to check the propane indicator, but with the power tongue jack the post gets in the way anyway. I use an inspection mirror (a bit bigger than the dental mirror, but the same idea).
Old 08-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 F250
Ambient temperature and your need to feel warm and comfy will have a big impact on both battery life and propane life. That is to say you’ll burn a lot more propane and battery in cold weather then will in balmy weather. Gas heaters for example burn both propane and use electricity.

One of the post talks about thinking about the weight of a 30 pound tank. From my experience that is very good advice.

If you have a regulator that automatically switches tanks, and has an indicator on it, two 20 pound tanks should be just fine. If for example your propane tank last 5 to 10 days that means that you have 5 to 10 days left in the other tank before you refill the first tank.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Another alternative to cutting the plastic cover or getting the dental mirror is to get new hoses with gauges on them. I was surprised how quickly the OEM rubber hoses deteriorated - less than a year before developing cracks. I got these stainless braided hoses with gauges on them, and fit perfectly. Now I just lift the cover up and check the gauges every so often.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #24
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstruzz View Post
Another alternative to cutting the plastic cover or getting the dental mirror is to get new hoses with gauges on them. I was surprised how quickly the OEM rubber hoses deteriorated - less than a year before developing cracks. I got these stainless braided hoses with gauges on them, and fit perfectly. Now I just lift the cover up and check the gauges every so often.

Hi mstruzz, I like your suggestion to switch out to the stainless braided hoses but have a question about the ones with gauges. I'm wondering about how susceptible those gauges are to cracking in below 32F temps? I understand the gauges on the water pressure regulators (that look similar to these gauges) can crack in freezing temps, so just wondering if the same holds for these propane gauges?

Don't plan on doing a lot of winter camping but instead, we have woken up to many surprise snow storms in the Sierra Mts and would not like to see broken propane gauges. Alternatively, it can get to sub zero temps during storage times so... contemplating these ones without a gauge...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087BRR61C...dDbGljaz10cnVl. Any advice? TIA -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:14 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hi mstruzz, I like your suggestion to switch out to the stainless braided hoses but have a question about the ones with gauges. I'm wondering about how susceptible those gauges are to cracking in below 32F temps? I understand the gauges on the water pressure regulators (that look similar to these gauges) can crack in freezing temps, so just wondering if the same holds for these propane gauges?

Don't plan on doing a lot of winter camping but instead, we have woken up to many surprise snow storms in the Sierra Mts and would not like to see broken propane gauges. Alternatively, it can get to sub zero temps during storage times so... contemplating these ones without a gauge...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087BRR61C...dDbGljaz10cnVl. Any advice? TIA -Bea
I can't speak to these specific gauges yet since I got them earlier this summer, but I have several propane tanks with gauges for my grill at home. They stay outside all winter in Colorado at 8k ft elevation, and never had an issue with them...
mstruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

Pretty sure the water pressure gauges freeze because of the water in them....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #27
Bea

Quote:
I can't speak to these specific gauges yet since I got them earlier this summer, but I have several propane tanks with gauges for my grill at home. They stay outside all winter in Colorado at 8k ft elevation, and never had an issue with them...
Good to hear! And come to think of it, those water pressure ones are probably pretty exposed to the elements, whereas, the propane ones are generally 'under cover', so to speak...and have survived high elevation Colorado winters. Impressive. Thanks for your feedback! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Consider aluminum tanks with real gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce clarkson View Post
Can I put 30 pound tanks To replace the 20 pound tanks on my 21’ escape?
We replaced the 20 lb steel tanks with 30 lb aluminum tanks. You will need a longer 3/8 in. stainless threaded rod, longer flexible hoses to raise the regulator, and the proper rack top bracket. Also recommend a Torklift tank lock.

We like the real gauges on these tanks.

We got the larger tanks to extend refill periods and to have more propane should we want to run our propane-converted Honda EU2000i generator.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Another alternative to cutting the plastic cover or getting the dental mirror is to get new hoses with gauges on them.
I got these stainless braided hoses with gauges on them, and fit perfectly. Now I just lift the cover up and check the gauges every so often.

Those gauges only show pressure; that's all a gauge in the hose can do.

As long as there is any liquid in the tank, the pressure depends only on the temperature of the propane in the tank. The propane is chilled by vapourization while propane is being used, but if there is no propane flowing the temperature just moves to the temperature of the surrounding air. You could have two full tanks, two nearly empty tanks, or one of each and when propane is not flowing both tanks will just show the same reading in the green, determined by the weather.

Even if propane is flowing, only the tank which is in use will be chilled and show a lower reading; the standby tank could be nearly empty and will still show green (in summer), so if you're depending on that you could be disappointed when you switch over.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My buddy picked up a couple gauges at Costco for our BBQ propane cylinders. After experiencing poor performance from the Weber Qs, we removed them. Qs went back to normal operation and the gauges were tossed.
Attached Thumbnails
propane gas gauge.jpg  
Old 08-20-2020, 07:31 AM   #31

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce clarkson View Post
Can I put 30 pound tanks To replace the 20 pound tanks on my 21’ escape?
... and how long will my battery last while dry camping. ( if using lights etc only in the evening)
I recently updated the propane space to 2 40lb tanks I bought online from WM, You have to cut out the top to make way for the new bottles and completely foam and make the upper chamber airtight in regards to the upgrade, also requires extending the supply hose and purchase the new valve feed to the multi thread tank holder before tightening down hose and bottle lockdown rod, Very important to make the upper part of storage area complete air tight to the cabin, I used 1/2” foam glued to the back wall and sealed again with a good glued flexible caulk. You must then move the top lock to the bottom door, and the all time accesses lock to the top to be able to shut off the tanks by the valve s on the tanks. This is so the valves can be shut down quickly by anyone. Fed LAW)
My Propane supplier filled the bottles in place! I was happy about that! Now, I have 80 gallon supply enough to use the furnace for about a month, but if “hooked up” to power, I use the heat strip on the AC, to conserve the propane for other uses.
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
I recently updated the propane space to 2 40lb tanks I bought online from WM, You have to cut out the top to make way for the new bottles and completely foam and make the upper chamber airtight in regards to the upgrade, also requires extending the supply hose and purchase the new valve feed to the multi thread tank holder before tightening down hose and bottle lockdown rod, Very important to make the upper part of storage area complete air tight to the cabin, I used 1/2” foam glued to the back wall and sealed again with a good glued flexible caulk. You must then move the top lock to the bottom door, and the all time accesses lock to the top to be able to shut off the tanks by the valve s on the tanks. This is so the valves can be shut down quickly by anyone. Fed LAW)
My Propane supplier filled the bottles in place! I was happy about that! Now, I have 80 gallon supply enough to use the furnace for about a month, but if “hooked up” to power, I use the heat strip on the AC, to conserve the propane for other uses.
Your post reminded me about one of the major regrets about our Escape
** NO HEAT STRIP IN OUR A/C **
I made the mistake thinking it would be standard equipment on a Canadian built Escape like it was on our Texas built Casita . That’s what I get for thinking !!
It sure was great for taking the morning chill off the trailer when Spring or Fall camping
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I made the mistake thinking it would be standard equipment on a Canadian built Escape like it was on our Texas built Casita . That’s what I get for thinking !!
It sure was great for taking the morning chill off the trailer when Spring or Fall camping
It shouldn't be hard to add one.

I think this is the correct one:
Dometic 3314998.000 RV Air Conditioner (Non Ducted Heat Strip)
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It shouldn't be hard to add one.

I think this is the correct one:
Dometic 3314998.000 RV Air Conditioner (Non Ducted Heat Strip)
Supposedly the A/C unit Escape uses is one of the few that is not designed to accept the electric heat strip
The heat strip needs to be mounted in a metal enclosure so the plastic A/C housing doesn’t melt . Plus I would need to change the control wiring and the Thermostat .
The information I have may be incorrect but 2 different RV supply houses gave me the same answer

We had the strip heater in both our Scamp and Casita and really liked them
We tried a portable electric heater in our Escape but between the receptacles overheating and the dog knocking it over , I don’t feel safe or comfortable running one at night while
we’re sleeping.
I added a 120VAC commercial grade receptacle on a separate circuit to our trailer , so I may try the portable heater again
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Supposedly the A/C unit Escape uses is one of the few that is not designed to accept the electric heat strip
The heat strip needs to be mounted in a metal enclosure so the plastic A/C housing doesn’t melt . Plus I would need to change the control wiring and the Thermostat .
The information I have may be incorrect but 2 different RV supply houses gave me the same answer

We had the strip heater in both our Scamp and Casita and really liked them
We tried a portable electric heater in our Escape but between the receptacles overheating and the dog knocking it over , I don’t feel safe or comfortable running one at night while
we’re sleeping.
I added a 120VAC commercial grade receptacle on a separate circuit to our trailer , so I may try the portable heater again
Escape offers a heat strip option, I doubt they buy an entirely different unit for that, but, I could be wrong.

The heat strip I linked to includes the metal enclosure.

The digital thermostat that Escape currently uses is capable of operating a heat strip. Here's a video with Karl explaining how the thermostat does heat strip mode.

Dometic Digital Thermostat

You might want to call Escape and confirm it one way or the other.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #36

Quote:
Yes, Heat Storm makes very efficient 900 watt unit, fits sink cab perfect-at left side walking in to the 5.0! NO NOISE like the heat strip, and keeps the 5.0 toasty warm! Vent blows out at bottom, safe heat, not hot to touch or catch anything on fire; extremely safe for pets or kids! Automatic thermostat and fan control
Old 04-09-2021, 12:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Escape offers a heat strip option, I doubt they buy an entirely different unit for that, but, I could be wrong.

The digital thermostat that Escape currently uses is capable of operating a heat strip. Here's a video with Karl explaining how the thermostat does heat strip mode.

Check out Heat Storm 900 watt wall heater, very efficient cant burn anything or anybody) keeps my 5.0 warm in cold winter silently! Escape installed a 15 amp plug under my stove burners (no oven) plug for RV convection oven, I use it for the Heat Storm)
Old 04-09-2021, 02:41 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
Check out Heat Storm 900 watt wall heater, very efficient cant burn anything or anybody) keeps my 5.0 warm in cold winter silently! Escape installed a 15 amp plug under my stove burners (no oven) plug for RV convection oven, I use it for the Heat Storm)
There are several electric heater options. I find a 750 watt is adequate in the the winter. Mounted under the bed, keeps the floor toasty...
Old 04-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Keep in mind, you have to drag them to the fill site.
I went for 2 40lb propane tanks) send me priv msg for photo, in a 5.0 TA)
Attached Thumbnails
5FD45E0A-CAA5-449F-A8B9-EB9DCEFFE8C3.jpg  
Old 04-12-2021, 03:28 PM   #40

Quote:

Yes, Heat Storm makes very efficient 900 watt unit, fits sink cab perfect-at left side walking in to the 5.0! NO NOISE like the heat strip, and keeps the 5.0 toasty warm! Vent blows out at bottom, safe heat, not hot to touch or catch anything on fire; extremely safe for pets or kids! Automatic thermostat and fan control