Larger propane tanks - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #41

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Supposedly the A/C unit Escape uses is one of the few that is not designed to accept the electric heat strip
The heat strip needs to be mounted in a metal enclosure so the plastic A/C housing doesn’t melt . Plus I would need to change the control wiring and the Thermostat .
The information I have may be incorrect but 2 different RV supply houses gave me the same answer

We had the strip heater in both our Scamp and Casita and really liked them
We tried a portable electric heater in our Escape but between the receptacles overheating and the dog knocking it over , I don’t feel safe or comfortable running one at night while
we’re sleeping.
I added a 120VAC commercial grade receptacle on a separate circuit to our trailer , so I may try the portable heater again
Yes, Heat Storm makes very efficient 900 watt unit, fits sink cab perfect-at left side walking in to the 5.0! NO NOISE like the heat strip, and keeps the 5.0 toasty warm! Vent blows out at bottom, safe heat, not hot to touch or catch anything on fire; extremely safe for pets or kids! Automatic thermostat and fan control
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #42

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
It shouldn't be hard to add one.

I think this is the correct one:
Dometic 3314998.000 RV Air Conditioner (Non Ducted Heat Strip)
Yes, Heat Storm makes very efficient 900 watt unit, fits sink cab perfect-at left side walking in to the 5.0! NO NOISE like the heat strip, and keeps the 5.0 toasty warm! Vent blows out at bottom, safe heat, not hot to touch or catch anything on fire; extremely safe for pets or kids! Automatic thermostat and fan control
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Multiple 3X posts

Are you selling the Heat Storm line? 4 identical posts by you, or is it 5?

My $15 ceramic cube heater does fine by me.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:58 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeDoesIt View Post
I recently updated the propane space to 2-40lb tanks.......
My Propane supplier filled the bottles in place! I was happy about that! Now, I have 80 gallon supply.
Fantastic work! We were entertaining doing 2-30lb tanks but when I inquired many believed moving the tanks in and out of the compartment would be next to impossible. I think I can do it now but perhaps not as I get older.

How difficult have you found it to get your 40lb tanks "filled in place" while traveling arround the country?

Removing the tanks to get filled is my only show stopper for doing something like you have done. I don't need that compartment for storage and weigh extra gas as much more important.
Thanks!
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:18 AM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
I have one five gallon tank with vinyl cover.

Bought two new 30 lb tanks and have a appointment to have them installed on trailer with white plastic tank cover and tray. On the 17 B they have a welded mounting bar for the tank that has to be cut off to add the double tray.

The two 30 lb tanks will last me longer than any trips I have planned and I have access to a filling station where I-can fill them myself on the trailer.

You can manage weight, since there is nothing that says that you always have to have full tanks. After a few trips you get a feel for it.
ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:51 AM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
For me there is a huge difference between propane tanks sitting on the tongue versus lifting them up and putting inside the hatch on the 5.0. My strength and back isn't getting better with age...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #47

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
propane tanks

The 20 size tanks are my limit for setting them in the 5th wheel compartment and hooking up the hose. I just did that a few days ago. If I felt I needed more gas I would either use the fire pit less or carry an extra 20 lb tank.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Two 20 lb tanks last us for a few weeks of fulltime use, even in cooler temps with the furnace running some. I tend to replace one every week or two. The only thing that actually drains them fairly fast is the propane firepit, but that sees little use as we will always do wood if able.

Fortunately I am still young enough to handle them with ease, and into the future as age could have a physical effect, lugging around a heavier tank is not something I would want to do, and fortunately I find no need for them in our smaller trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:13 AM   #49
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The very first time I lifted full propane tanks into the hatch of Ten Forward, I bashed the aluminum surround that the hatch door presses against to make the hatch waterproof. Dang. I was able to straighten it out sufficiently, but don't want to do it again!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:16 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The very first time I lifted full propane tanks into the hatch of Ten Forward, I bashed the aluminum surround that the hatch door presses against to make the hatch waterproof. Dang. I was able to straighten it out sufficiently, but don't want to do it again!
Being the clumsy guy I can be, I have done that a few times. I have been thinking of attaching a small iron abbot across the back of the lip, still allowing for latching.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #51

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
If I felt I needed more gas I would either use the fire pit less or carry an extra 20 lb tank.
We carry a 12# tank for our Weber Q, our tabletop stove, and to fill our Flame King 1# LP tanks, so we're potentially carrying 52#'s of LP.

We also don't use the automatic changeover, so we know when one tank gets empty. We always top off the 12# tank when we fill a 20# tank.

We travel for 3-4 months in the winter and have yet to connect the 12# tank to the camper. We prefer to use our Martin catalytic heater that's quite efficient, and quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Only once? We carry a 3' wide vice grip that has straightened that surround a number of times.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-17-2021, 09:11 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting idea, I never knew these tanks were refillable............
Old 11-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #53

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
You're right, it's not covering a pump, but I have developed a fetish for looking at plumbing, wiring, framing, etc. To my mind, covers are often structures that are intended to hide problems. I can see if the hoses are deteriorating, or are kinked. My eye sees real beauty in good workmanship on industrial fixtures. I don't really like the look of the tank covers. Now, after going down a muddy dirt road for 40 miles, I may change my mind.
Then you really do not want spray insulation. “NOT” out of sight out of mind kind of guy
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:09 AM   #54

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We have six refillable Flame King 1 pound tanks. Over the past three years I've easily refilled each tank five or more times (who counts). I only fill them to about .8#. At .8# you start wasting gas for that last .2# but it's enough to run our Martin heater all night keeping the camper at 55-60F.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-17-2021, 11:03 AM   #55

Trailer: 2022 E19
Get the full #20 of propane when possible

Another aspect to consider is that most places that do #20 bottle exchanges are only giving you about #15 of propane.

A #20 tank is rated to have about #20 when "full" (80% of capacity)

So, if you can get your tanks fully refilled, you get 33% more (5/15) propane than an exchange approach and extend your run times accordingly.

7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #56

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:33 PM   #57

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Does anyone around So.Calif. know where you can exchange 30# tanks, or get them renovated and re-certified?
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:45 PM   #58
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Does anyone around So.Calif. know where you can exchange 30# tanks, or get them renovated and re-certified?
any propane dealer should be able to do that. my old tent trailer had a single 30# bottle on it, got it filled in place at numerous propane stations, and once in the middle of nowhere, they inspected it, and stamped it good for another bunch of years. they won't do that for the 20s, they say just turn them in at the exchange, and let them do it on their own dime
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #59

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
... they won't do that for the 20s, they say just turn them in at the exchange ....
My local Ferrellgas will recertify 20s, and do an honest weight based full fill. YMMV.

FYI / FWIW here's schemes for fitting a 3rd 20# tank in the 5.0 front compartment. This based on inspection and measurements from my 2021, YMMV. There's a lot of un-/under-utilized space in this area.

This is quite do-able with a bit of woodwork and fiberglass cloth/resin which is what ETI uses to 'seal' the original plywood propane compartment (it's is vented to the outside through a 'drain hole' in the floor).

Obviously if one extends the storage compartment floor as in the second version shown, those panels need to be removable for service access to the jacks (and the removable panels at each end of the propane compartment retained as original though relocated farther outboard in both versions).

The 'value' of the mod is yours to judge ...
Attached Thumbnails
ESCAPE 5.0 FRONT COMPARTMENTS.jpg  
Old 11-18-2021, 11:44 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
every propane place I've ever been to out west sells propane per gallon, not weight. my 20# tanks take about 4.7 gallons if they are empty. I think at least one of them has a 0.1g or so in the bottom thats remaining even when the propane runs out, I need to figure out how to dump that.

Here at home, I usually go to this one 76 station that has a tank filling station behind the former garage building, rather than a propane distribution business, mostly because none of the distributors are real convenient anymore, the one in Scotts Valley moved to Watsonville. There is a fuel wholesaler close to me, but they mostly sell diesel on contract, and their propane station is a long walk for the 2nd guy in the office, and they are more expensive than said 76 since I'm not on a volume account.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote