New inverter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 21C
New inverter

I just took possession of a 21C, and I want to install an inverter and new batteries. I know they come with a Go Power inverter. Is this the best one for the job and is it big enough? 1500w vs 2000w. I will probably use the 2 6v batteries, due to money restraints.
Thanks,
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
what do you want to run on the inverter ? I'm quite happy with my Renogy 2000W PureSine inverter.

Figure with dual GC-2 6V golf cart batts, you have a total capacity of about 220AH, 2600 watt*hours and a usable capacity of about 75% of that(*), or about 165 amp*hour, 2000 watt*hours. If you are off grid, and charging by solar, a 180 watt solar panel will give you about 1000 watt*hours per full sunny day, so take maybe 2 days to fully charge a deeply discharged battery.

(*) people commonly quote 50% for lead acid battery 'safe discharge' but in fact true deep discharge batteries like GC2 golf cart batts are good for more like 75% discharge and still do 1000 or so charge/discharge cycles.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

I will mostly be off grid, it has a 170W solar panel and the normal battery. I use a CPAP at night and need AC power for that, we would like to use the microwave for heating things up, popcorn and frozen meals. Recharging phones and laptops as well. I would like to get lithium batteries, but i just bought a trailer, so the 6v are my choice. I assume that Interstate is a reliable brand, what about AGM batteries?
Old 07-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #4
Site Team

best deep discharge lead acid batts are Trojan. Interstate IMHO has gone way downhill of late, but they are cheap, so....

AGM are considerably more expensive without any benefits that matter to a trailer application.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:09 PM   #5

Did you get the monster or controller from Renogy as well?
Old 07-09-2022, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkabout View Post
I use a CPAP at night and need AC power for that
I have a DC cord for my CPAP. They are available. Mind you, I've not used it in the trailer because I also have an AC oxygen concentrator, which would probably burn through my group 27 battery in half an hour. I'm going to have to camp with power.
Attached Thumbnails
Resmed DC charger.jpg  
Old 07-09-2022, 02:26 PM   #7

Thank you, I am looking at Trojan batteries, I am not sure what I need, I have solar and don't know if I need solar batteries or RV batteries?
Old 07-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
I'll disagree with John over Trojan batteries, we found that they came pre-sulfated so we did not have to mistreat them to get them to that state. In solar homes, in AZ, Crown batteries are thought to be the best. Our own opinion is get the freshest ones you can, with the newest manufacturing date, any brand. Batteries in our opinion are just commodity items, they all seem identical. We have used AGMs in our crappy Casita, it made sense to buy one as it had to go in sideways as our Casita did not have a battery door. In our previous life on a sailboat we found people with AGMs were getting the same life out of their batteries as lead acid batteries. AGMs made lots of sense if they have to be placed on their side, or are hard to access to frequently water. In our E19 the battery is easy to access, easy to fill with distilled water. Lead acid 6V batteries are budget priced and can work for years as you save up to buy lithium batteries and all the rest of the system you'll need.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:40 PM   #9

I us a Resmed BPAP, I looked the DC cord up and its is about $80, I think I can get a 1500-2000w inverter for about $400. I think that is the way to go. I would probably have too turn off the water heater to conserve power.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #10

Quote:
I think that is the way to go. I would probably have too turn off the water heater to conserve power.
I have propane only water heater. I turn it on for about 20 minutes in the morning. I turn it off and water is hot enough all day. Turn it on again for 20 minutes to do dinner dishes. Turn it off.
There is no need for AC/propane water heater if you are not parked in a full-service "camp" ground.
I do turn it on prior to taking a shower and turn it off after.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
I'll disagree with John over Trojan batteries, we found that they came pre-sulfated so we did not have to mistreat them to get them to that state.
I have to disagree with Upfisk. How many Trojan batteries did you test to come to this conclusion?
Old 07-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I have propane only water heater. I turn it on for about 20 minutes in the morning. I turn it off and water is hot enough all day. Turn it on again for 20 minutes to do dinner dishes. Turn it off.
There is no need for AC/propane water heater if you are not parked in a full-service "camp" ground.
I do turn it on prior to taking a shower and turn it off after.
I have a propane only water heater, I turn it on when we arrive at a campsite, and turn it off when we're packing to leave.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:59 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
I will mostly be off grid, it has a 170W solar panel and the normal battery. I use a CPAP at night and need AC power for that, we would like to use the microwave for heating things up, popcorn and frozen meals. Recharging phones and laptops as well. I would like to get lithium batteries, but i just bought a trailer, so the 6v are my choice. I assume that Interstate is a reliable brand, what about AGM batteries?
to get your microwave running off the inverter, you'll probably need to add a transfer switch and sub panel, and move the microwave circuit from the main fuse panel to the subpanel. pretty much only the Converter and Air Conditioner would stay on the original AC panel, and everything else would move to the subpanel.

I added my Renogy 2000W inverter and wired it to a dedicated outlet, mostly for occasional use by my wife's hair dryer and maybe an electric coffee maker + grinder. We hardly ever use a microwave for anything, either in the trailer or at home. I *am* thinking of getting a transfer switch and subpanel and rewiring stuff, but haven't been sufficiently motivated yet.

btw, my Renogy inverter was $225 6 months ago and is now about $320 on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Invert.../dp/B07H9SXV61

I installed it under the streetside dinette bench,

and wired it to this dedicated outlet...

(red so I know its the inverter)
Old 07-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #14
Site Team

oh, note, you'll need 1/0 wiring from the battery to a 2000W inverter, with a 220A or so fast blow fuse as close to the battery as practical.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #15

Oh, I'd say about 20 Trojan 6V golf cart batteries convinced me that they come presulfated.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Oh, I'd say about 20 Trojan 6V golf cart batteries convinced me that they come presulfated.
I wonder how Trojan got the excellent reputation they have.
Did you get these batteries from the same dealer? Did you talk to Trojan?
Old 07-09-2022, 03:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I us a Resmed BPAP, I looked the DC cord up and its is about $80, I think I can get a 1500-2000w inverter for about $400. I think that is the way to go. I would probably have too turn off the water heater to conserve power.
I'd prefer a 2000 watt inverter since there are a number of household appliances that are designed to draw 1700 -1800 watts. While running any of them for any length of time would drastically draw down your batteries & require a long time to recharge from your converter or most solar systems, short runs could be done. With a 1500 watt inverter you will need to carefully shop for high wattage appliances. They exist - I went for a couple of years with a 1000 watt inverter, and found a toaster, toaster oven & coffee pot that worked with it, but having the peak of 2000 watts available for a couple minute run of a faster toaster oven, microwave, etc would be nice.

As to the water heater, I would never run it on an inverter. They all come with propane and that is the way to go when camping without hookups.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Where did you get those, off the back of a recycling truck?

Every golf course I've been at, the golf carts nearly exclusively run on trojans.

ps, coming presulfated would be a good trick, as Trojan ships them dry, you (or the dealer/distributor) adds acid just before the first charge and use.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:24 PM   #19

[QUOTE=gbaglo;424928]I wonder how Trojan got the excellent reputation they have.
Did you get these batteries from the same dealer? Did you talk to Trojan?[/QUOT

We bought every one of these sets of 4 from different dealers, in different areas. Every battery was 1-2 months old when bought. We did talk to Trojan after our 2nd set failed, "luck of the draw, so sorry, etc." Golf cart batteries tend to be replaced at frequent intervals, have never heard of their long life at golf courses. Another battery we tried and found lacking was Rolls batteries. I think we paid $375 each for a normal 6V battery. In Arizona where there solar homes are usual, Trojans are not the suggested battery. Yes, at golf courses, but I think they are replaced annually.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #20
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We run two CPAP machines with our 19 which has a 180W solar panel, and two 6V Interstates. We have done this in cold weather so we have also had the furnace run all night (off and on). In the morning I've checked and the battery charge state is usually above 50%. But, I seldom get up before dawn, and usually sleep well past sunrise so there is some charging going on. Bottom line is that we have been fine.

If you start talking microwaves, and coffee pots, etc. I really don't know how well using that with a CPAP and furnace would work out, so it would be smart to add up the power all of the accessories draw and compare that to your capacity with the two 6V (about 165 Ah according to John). For cooking we usually prepare our dinners in advance and seal them in boil bags. When it's time for dinner we just heat up a pot of water and boil it for about 30 min. Works great and not much to clean up after.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote