Overcharging batteries? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17
Overcharging batteries?

Hello, new Escape owner here. A few weeks ago we had to replace our batteries which had become too run down...no idea how old they were, but our Escape is a 2008. I want to make sure the new ones stay in good health, and that they're full up before we set out on trips, but wondering if it's possible to overcharge them? How long should I leave them plugged in to shore power?

Our first trip with the new ones was about 3 days long, 2 weeks ago, with not much power use.
Northern.Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern.Escape View Post
Hello, new Escape owner here. A few weeks ago we had to replace our batteries which had become too run down...no idea how old they were, but our Escape is a 2008. I want to make sure the new ones stay in good health, and that they're full up before we set out on trips, but wondering if it's possible to overcharge them? How long should I leave them plugged in to shore power?

Our first trip with the new ones was about 3 days long, 2 weeks ago, with not much power use.
There are safeguards in the charging equipment (Power Center, Solar Controller) that will prevent that. Provided all is working properly.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
How long should I leave them plugged in to shore power?

My trailer is plugged in 24/7 all year long. Trailer prevents overcharging. I just check water levels every couple of months.
Old 06-22-2021, 03:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What Glenn posted, same here........
Old 06-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17
Thanks, much appreciated!
Northern.Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Since we purchased our 5.0 in October 2018 we've seen two sets of AGM batteries fail. The first set lasted three months. The second set lasted two years. I've narrowed it down to the WFCO charger. On a couple of other RV forums that cheap WFCO has been blamed for overcharging.

I removed the fuses in the WFCO for the charger. Since our camper is always outside, either traveling with us or sitting in our seasonal site, our solar has had no problem keeping the SiO2 batteries fully charged. I doubt I'll install those fuses back in the current WFCO.

After the second AGM set failed I removed the GoPower controller and installed a Victron 100/30 smart controller. It gives history, something the GoPower can't, so I can see if there is a problem much, much sooner.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 06-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
If you have the dual six volt flooded battery option I contend the problem is under charging. Interstate and Trojan want very high charge voltages in their flooded batteries. Check what your manufacturer recommends and invest in a cheap battery monitor. Google Equus Battery Monitor for a sample.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:39 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:

I do not trust the standard charger. In our E21, I put a Sterling Battery to Battery charger in, and feed it with the output from the standard charger. The Sterling allows setting the multiple stage charging to whatever your batteries require for proper operation and maintenance, unlike the standard charger. The same Sterling also controls charging from the tow vehicle. It will raise the charge voltage to proper levels, which is otherwise pretty much impossible due to the cable length involved, and the voltages normally put out by the alternator controller.

When the trailer is stored, I disconnect the 2 6 volt batteries by removing one end of the cable between the two of them. We use AGM's which retain their charge safely for months. Flooded batteries lose their charge much quicker, and are slower to charge. If I was starting from scratch now, I would carefully consider Lithium batteries. I would never go back to flooded batteries.

All just my 2 cents of course.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
but wondering if it's possible to overcharge them? How long should I leave them plugged in to shore power?
One (of the many) way(s) to kill batteries is to overcharge them.
One of the best ways to monitor overcharge in a flooded battery is to monitor the water level. If you have to add water more frequently than 1 or 2 times per year then you should check the charge voltage with an accurate voltmeter (multi-meter). Compare the reading to what the manufacture specifies.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I removed the fuses in the WFCO for the charger. Since our camper is always outside, either traveling with us or sitting in our seasonal site, our solar has had no problem keeping the SiO2 batteries fully charged. I doubt I'll install those fuses back in the current WFCO.
Perry
Perry, We are replacing our dying flooded batteries with AGM Batteries. And adding a battery charger recommended by the manufacturer for occasional charging with a generator. We want to turn off the WFCO battery charging function. Can you show us a picture or give us a description of which fuses you removed? Katrina
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
that would be the two green 30A or red 40A fuses that are out of line with the rest.

here's mine, they are the ones on the left.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

Thank you!

Thank you John for the photo. I'm going to try this. That is, as soon as I can walk out to my trailer without drowning in the atmospheric river in southern California.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaOstby View Post
We want to turn off the WFCO battery charging function. Can you show us a picture or give us a description of which fuses you removed?
You can remove those fuses to make sure that the converter/charger in the WFCO Power Center doesn't accidentally get used, but the AC power to the converter/charger should also be turned off, or it will be running uselessly every time shore power is plugged in. You can turn off the corresponding circuit breaker in the AC panel of the WFCO, and if that breaker is shared with something else the AC wires to the converter/charger can be disconnected.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 08:53 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
You can remove those fuses to make sure that the converter/charger in the WFCO Power Center doesn't accidentally get used, but the AC power to the converter/charger should also be turned off, or it will be running uselessly every time shore power is plugged in. You can turn off the corresponding circuit breaker in the AC panel of the WFCO, and if that breaker is shared with something else the AC wires to the converter/charger can be disconnected.
on my E21, the converter shares the breaker with the fridge
Old 12-23-2021, 09:02 PM   #15

Don't want to waste power...

Thank you Brian,
I'll do some more homework to see if I can find/adjust the breaker/circuit which feeds the charger.
Katrina
Old 12-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #16

Dumb question

If I'm camping on shore power longer term (30-60 days), wouldn't it make sense to disconnect the battery and just run 120 V through the converter to create the 12 volt power I need for the LED lighting and the fans?
Old 12-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
If I'm camping on shore power longer term (30-60 days), wouldn't it make sense to disconnect the battery and just run 120 V through the converter to create the 12 volt power I need for the LED lighting and the fans?
I would think so. use the battery disconnect switch for that. on my E21, thats just above the converter panel, on the U dinette street side.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Perry, We are replacing our dying flooded batteries with AGM Batteries. And adding a battery charger recommended by the manufacturer for occasional charging with a generator. We want to turn off the WFCO battery charging function. Can you show us a picture or give us a description of which fuses you removed? Katrina
My 2 cents. Why not use the WFCO to charge the AGM’s or just upgrade the main board to a Progressive Dynamics unit? This would seamlessly handle shore power or generator. A separately wired charger seems unnecessary unless you were going to the extent of installing a combination inverter/charger or something like that. If you do decide to disable the WFCO personally I would leave the reverse polarity fuses in place and just wire the 120V AC side to its own breaker that can be turned on and off. Easy enough to add a breaker. It sounds like you might appreciate the convenience.

(Picture shows rewired 120V panel. We have an upgraded Progressive Dynamics converter/charger wired to a dedicated breaker as it is typically off as it is now only a backup to a Xantrex Freedom XC inverter/charger.)
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2021, 11:58 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Before I sold my 21 c I upgraded the WFCO with the Progressive dynamics Wildcat WFCO replacement converter module, Easy as pie, it took about 20 minutes. That fit should do AGMS fine. It was only 250 I think. Best converters handles that version of it.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #20

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"It will be running uselessly"? I have checked for excess heat and there is none. Many others have installed separate chargers and just pull the fuses.

If I turn the breaker off other items don't work, don't remember what items though. I learned to pull the 40 amp fuses from another forum (don't remember which) and the converter still converts, but doesn't charge. We haven't used the charger to charge our batteries when hooked to the electrical post since last January. We have enough solar and don't need the charger (or a generator), and don't need need a DC-DC charger either.

Enjoy,

Perry