replacement drain value for potable water tank? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
replacement drain value for potable water tank?

have 2018 Escape 21, that I love. latest problem: the drain valve that empties the potable water tank is falling apart. I guess it doesn't like TX heat, has been over 100 degrees everyday for awhile. anyone ever replaced this part?, just need a source for the replacement, maybe one that will hold up better. also, what sealant to use? all replies welcomed, cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Water Tank Drain Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
have 2018 Escape 21, that I love. latest problem: the drain valve that empties the potable water tank is falling apart. I guess it doesn't like TX heat, has been over 100 degrees everyday for awhile. anyone ever replaced this part?, just need a source for the replacement, maybe one that will hold up better. also, what sealant to use? all replies welcomed, cheers
I replaced mine with this (was $5.550 in 2018, now $19+)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a 1/2" washing machine supply valve intended for mobile homes. I wanted a 1/4-turn ball valve design, durable plastic and the ability to attach a hose for draining. I recommend teflon paste to seal the threads. Teflon tape occasionally leads to cross threading on plastic to plastic fittings. I suggest not installing brass male fittings in female plastic threads...the reverse is OK.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:50 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Here is an exact replacement: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-15-2020, 03:53 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
This drain on my 21 has become quite difficult to turn. I am afraid that I may snap off the handle at some point. Probably could use a pliers to make it work in a pinch but is there any way of making it easier to turn?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:00 PM   #5

brownie, you are exactly where I'm at, I'm going to replace mine with something more durable, what's on the trailer OEM needs an upgrade IMO. cheers
Old 08-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #6

thanks for replies, very helpful. actually, I would like to replace the valve with a simple length of pvc threaded on both ends/ adapter. screw one end into the tank fitting, and screw a threaded cap on the open end. that's the way my Casita was and worked great. what we have now is slow to drain, not durable, and expensive for what you get. I usually like to go with simple is better.

my question: are the threads for this fitting standard?, or do I need to look for something specific? all replies welcomed, cheers
Old 08-15-2020, 04:17 PM   #7

swco, I like the bib idea, but which end screws into the tank fitting? I suspect you screwed the garden hose end into the tank, if so how do you connect your hose to the drain opening? sorry for dumb questions. cheers
Old 08-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Why do you need a hose for draining. I just turn the handle and have done for 12 years. It works. It still works. Try some white lithium grease spray if it needs lube.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Why not just use a plastic drain plug?
Attached Thumbnails
61cT7wSK6BL._AC_SL1200_.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Paul
How about one of the wax based bike lubes? I've been using one on plastic things that need lubing, like the shutoff valves for the drip irrigation, plastic zippers on the storage shelter, things like that. I've not had to lube the valve in question, but I've replaced one on my brothers camper.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
swco, I like the bib idea, but which end screws into the tank fitting? I suspect you screwed the garden hose end into the tank, if so how do you connect your hose to the drain opening? sorry for dumb questions. cheers
The 1/2" male pipe thread end goes in the tank.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Why do you need a hose for draining. I just turn the handle and have done for 12 years. It works. It still works. Try some white lithium grease spray if it needs lube.
Never said I needed a hose for draining. I wanted the option to attach a hose so I can send the water where I want it when I drain the tank. Not sure how I would get lube into a ball valve, or why I would want to, especially in a potable water tank.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
thanks for replies, very helpful. actually, I would like to replace the valve with a simple length of pvc threaded on both ends/ adapter. screw one end into the tank fitting, and screw a threaded cap on the open end. that's the way my Casita was and worked great. what we have now is slow to drain, not durable, and expensive for what you get. I usually like to go with simple is better.

my question: are the threads for this fitting standard?, or do I need to look for something specific? all replies welcomed, cheers
Are these the fittings you are looking for?
1/2 MIP x 3/4 GHT
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1799/207176334
GHT cap
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1719/300096769

--- they're available in plastic too if cost is an issue ---
Attached Thumbnails
brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-801719-64_1000.jpg   brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-801799-64_1000.jpg  
Old 08-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Mine was hard to turn and got brittle. One “ear” broke off. I sprayed it with silicone and it worked better. I was in an RV shop and saw one on the shelf for about 5 or 6 dollars. Bought and installed in a couple of minutes. I used three wraps of Teflon and my mantra. “Easy does it”. Give it a little shot of silicone spray every so often. Not worried about ingesting minuscule amounts. Works for me. Nothing fancy.
Good luck.
Old 08-15-2020, 09:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Not spraying the lube into the spigot. Just on what you can see around the lever.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:42 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Thanks Glenn, I assumed folks would know that and yes somebody probably calls me an ass every day.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Why do you need a hose for draining. I just turn the handle and have done for 12 years. It works. It still works..
... and it leaves the water in a puddle under the trailer, which may or may not be desirable, depending on the location of the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCO View Post
Never said I needed a hose for draining. I wanted the option to attach a hose so I can send the water where I want it when I drain the tank.
I like that option, too. Even the stock drain cock as linked by David has a barbed end which is intended to accept a plain hose end pushed over it (probably for installations in which the hose is left attached), but a garden hose thread is more convenient for a hose which is only used when draining.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Why not just use a plastic drain plug?
That would work, but it's annoying finishing the removal of a plug while water starts to run out - at least it's only water, so it's not as bad as taking an engine oil drain plug out.

The real reason for me would be that pipe threads are a pain to work with, so where possible I only take them together once for the life of the fittings. Every removal risks rounding the head of the plastic plug, and every installation risks rounding the head, damaging the threads in the tank, or just not getting it sealed properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Had a problem with the valve on my 2017 5.0. Took it out and found the issue was fine sediment. I was able to clean it out and replaced it . Has been working great ever since. I summarized that the sediment was introduced when filling the tank so now I never fill the tank without the water first going thru my filter. This includes at home as I do have well water which does carry some sediment. I do have a plastic plug now that I carry with me in case I ever break off the drain spout as it hangs slightly lower than everything else. Cheap and hopefully never needed insurance 😁
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Drain

Quote:
I like the idea of the hose bib, not for draining, but for filling. I had that arrangement on my Casita by changing out its drain to a fitting from Little House Customs.
Attached Thumbnails
20200224_153647.jpg  
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote