Revoltin’ Development - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2023, 08:28 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Revoltin’ Development

In a move that has been kept pretty darn quiet, yesterday on June 14, 2023, it was announced by the Iowa Department of Transportation that all 22 dump stations located at Iowa’s Interstate Rest Areas, have been permanently closed and cemented over. In my promotion of recreational opportunities in my home state I have, several times, reported the existence of these free and convenient dump stations. I thought it appropriate to now announce their closing so forum readers who had previously used these dump stations and come to depend on them and those who planned to use them are now S… Outta Luck. (S.O.L.)

Reasons given were increased costs of pump out, Illegal dumping of liquids that local wastewater plants were not able to deal with, general abuse of the systems (vandalism), and where the dump station was plumbed through a local sanitary sewer to a marginally sized municipally owned treatment plant, the operating agency is no longer willing to serve this use.

Sorry to have to report this but I have read about illegal liquids being a problem in a number of instances so I suppose it shouldn’t be that surprising.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-15-2023, 08:57 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hold on we're nearly there!!!

Hi: Iowa Dave... Hold on... This sounds like a "#One, #two" punch to RV'ers. Next thing they'll close down the "Comfort stations" so you'll have to hold it till you're out of state. Could be another round of flying your problems to another area.
Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:00 AM   #3

Always thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... Hold on... This sounds like a "#One, #two" punch to RV'ers. Next thing they'll close down the "Comfort stations" so you'll have to hold it till you're out of state. Could be another round of flying your problems to another area.
Alf
With more hogs under confinement feeding (in the millions per year) and the Fish kills in the creeks and rivers from badly timed land application, overflowing tanks and thousands of hogs lost in winter storms when the power goes out and the gas build up kills the pigs on the spot, t not to mention the not so fragrant aroma of pig manure wafting for miles in a light breeze offending passing motorists and residents alike, here’s a concept. Using already government subsidized privately owned farm operations, perhaps our country friends could further enhance their revenue (ahem..streams) by installing dump stations at the confinement area.
Seems like a win win stinky stinky solution to me.
Keep the faith Alf, see you in September as the old song goes. Tell Mary Anne hello and get to work on the garden.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-15-2023, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dave, it sounds like a job for Brat-Man.
Attached Thumbnails
bratman1.jpg  
Old 06-15-2023, 12:32 PM   #5

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We're heading to your state next week for a few days at Lake Red Rock.

One kid gets caught chewing gum in class and the rest of us suffer.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 12:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 E19
The State of Iowa won't take no crap from nobody.

Oh, well. Don't fight it, and live to crap another day.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:16 PM   #7

Red rock area

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
We're heading to your state next week for a few days at Lake Red Rock.

One kid gets caught chewing gum in class and the rest of us suffer.
Hi Willy
Lots to do in that area.
State Federal and county camping as well as a good city campground not far away at Winterset Iowa.
Attractions people might enjoy
1. Neil Smith grassland where the Buffalo roam
2. Marion county fairgrounds at Knoxville. Home of some of the finest dirt track racing in the world and a beautiful race car museum.
3. Winterset Iowa. County seat of Madison County of the Bridges of Madison county fame
4. John Wayne’s birthplace in Winterset where there’s a recently completed million dollar addition to the museum and an excellent quilt shop in town.
5. All kinds of things to do in Des Moines not far away.
Arboretum, Blank Park Zoo. Professional Baseball at Sec Taylor stadium, and probably the finest selection of deli meats and sandwiches and award winning Italian sausages, anywhere available at Graziano’s meat market.
Great farmers markets in the area too.
I think everything I’ve listed has a website for your perusal.
Iowa Dave

Just a few attractions to get you started if you’ve never been.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:19 PM   #8

Anaerobic Digesters appear to offer some solutions to animal and food waste problems Iowas is having.

It's nearly impossible to stop scumbags from dumping toxic waste though.
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2023, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Willy
Lots to do in in that area.
I cover Eastern Iowa for work and have been putting together a list of things since we put our deposit down on our Escape.

This is part work trip and part fun. This COE location is very expensive. Including my wife's America the Beautiful pass this electric site is costing us a WHOPPING $10/Night.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #10

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I cover Eastern Iowa for work and have been putting together a list of things since we put our deposit down on our Escape.

This is part work trip and part fun. This COE location is very expensive. Including my wife's America the Beautiful pass this electric site is costing us a WHOPPING $10/Night.
And you can dump for free, charge up anything you have. Use all the water you need and get a hot shower anytime you like. Just don’t Speed, run over a turtle, leave a bottle of Jack out on the table or advertise anything for sale. Those rangers will be on you like a dog on a bone.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-15-2023, 03:07 PM   #11

What No Jack on the table?!
Old 06-15-2023, 05:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And you can dump for free, charge up anything you have. Use all the water you need and get a hot shower anytime you like. Just don’t Speed, run over a turtle, leave a bottle of Jack out on the table or advertise anything for sale. Those rangers will be on you like a dog on a bone.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... I thought Jihad Jake sat patiently waiting for the signal to GO!!!
BTW I harvested the Scapes and put them through the processor& freezer to use for garlic spread later. The potato's are flowering now!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:49 PM   #13

Scapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... I thought Jihad Jake sat patiently waiting for the signal to GO!!!
BTW I harvested the Scapes and put them through the processor& freezer to use for garlic spread later. The potato's are flowering now!!! Alf
I harvested my scapes about a week ago gave them to a good friend and his wife. He looks forward to getting them.

My spuds are flowering too. I’m growing three varieties this year. A red one (Pontiacs) , Yukon Gold and a new to me white one Dakota Pearl.
I have 16 peppers going and some other stuff. I built new cages this year from 1X2 welded wire which has foiled those waskally baby rabbits. Red raspberries coming on, ought to make the Fourth of July I think.

Jake, doing well, still a little ornery at times. He’s a French Brittany and keeps telling me the least I can do for him is a trip to Quebec
Iowa Dave