RMD8555 fridge stopped working on propane :( - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2022, 03:11 PM   #81

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
Not me. There shouldn't be anything proprietary about the solenoid, normally they purchase "generic" gas, solenoid valves. Did you look at the valve, find a part number, and do a search on that? Also, a little odd the solenoid is bad but not impossible. Is it actually "clicking" and trying to open?
I'm at the mercy of the RV shop at present, which is an hour away. I don't know how he diagnosed it, but it does match the way the fridge has been working so intermittently. I'll certainly dig into it on my own when I get the Escape home.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I indeed have a RMD8555 in my driveway, but it at first would not run on propane, then stopped running entirely (dead control panel), and no idea whats wrong.

I replaced it with a Norcold N2175 dc compressor fridge and am as happy as I could be, even in 105F weather, it freezes solid in the freezer, and stays frosty cold in the fridge. It uses as much as 6 amps DC when its running, which typically is 30% of the time, unless it is really hot, then it might run twice that, so tahts around 30-75 watt*hours per hour, or 500 watt hours a day typical. I went kamikaze overkill, as I am so wont to do, and upgraded my batts to 412AH/5200WH of lithium iron phosphate, and upgraded my solar to a 360W monocrystalline with a 30A MTTP controller. So using fridge + typical lighting + maxxifan on nearly constantly at low to medium, + furnace at night, I can go about a week with ZERO sun, and forever with 50% sun (my solar panel makes 2000WH on a sunny day with no shade)

oh, the N2175 was an *exact fit* in the space of the RMD8555. You can (and should) block off the external venting, I actually removed the rooftop vent and capped it off, as the larger solar panel would have run into it.
I'm on the way to installing a compressor fridge as well if I can't find a part for this one. I do need to spend some time researching which fridge(s) fit in a 2013 model.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #83

Quote:
ok, I took a couple jumper clips, and a AA 1.5V battery, negative to the ground terminal, and alternately connected plus briefly to each of the two V+ terminals and I hear it clicking.

ah, this page shows the same valve,
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...1.html?page=15
BOTH V+ have to be powered for it to switch on, its 2 valves in series as a safety thing.

and yup, if I power both V+ with my little 1.5V battery, I can blow through it, unpower, and it clicks off.
This is great news! That's the one. My initial reaction was that solenoid valves are not that complicated, and any springloaded-to-close valve would work, but it sounds considerably more complicated. Sending a PM.

Thanks, John!
Old 06-25-2022, 11:35 AM   #84

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Nothing to exciting here, but this is what my lower cover looks like covered over. HDPE sheet from local big box hardware store. Then I sanded, flame treated, and used JB Weld plastic adhesive to glue the patch on. Fairly certain it's going to stay put. Thought about adding a couple of v-grooves on it to break it up, but got overruled by the boss. Can still do that at a later date though.

alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:56 AM   #85

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
How about converting that area with a hatch cover?
Old 06-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #86
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
How about converting that area with a hatch cover?
I wouldn't want to be storing stuff in there, the back of the compressor fridge has open access, it just doesn't expect airflow.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:39 PM   #87
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Dometic says buy a new fridge. What a despicable company.
Dometic and despicable are synonyms. Pinhole leak in a coolant tube in my AC - needed to be repaired/recharged right? Nothing a speck of solder and a can of refrigerant couldn't fix.

Wrong. Not designed to be serviceable. "Buy a new AC unit".
Old 06-25-2022, 07:45 PM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Dometic and despicable are synonyms. Pinhole leak in a coolant tube in my AC - needed to be repaired/recharged right? Nothing a speck of solder and a can of refrigerant couldn't fix.

that tube is probably aluminum. not at all easy to solder.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:48 PM   #89

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:

Yeah, I hate LG too: my 7 year old French Door fridge crapped out after 7 years. Cost replace part with labor wasn't worth fixing.

I'm kidding- and this hate Dometic shtick is frankly misplaced IMO.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yeah,
and this hate Dometic shtick is frankly misplaced IMO.
Maybe that comment was a little too strong and my frustrations bubbled to the top. Maybe "disappointing" would have been a better choice of words. I'm looking at the very real possibility of a third fridge being installed in our nine-year old camper. Three-year average life on a fridge that costs $2500 to $3000 is pretty poor performance in my option. Plus almost all interactions I've had with RV shops result in hearing, once again, how difficult it is to work with Dometic, how parts are not available (granted, a problem not limited to Dometic) and how difficult it is for their technicians to even get information from the company. So I'm less than impressed with Dometic. But to end on a positive note, I should soon have a used part arriving from John in Santa Cruz that may keep our fridge going a little longer.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:56 AM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
that tube is probably aluminum. not at all easy to solder.
It was copper colored, so I'm assuming it wasn't aluminum. But there was also no charging port. It was designed so the whole unit was to be discarded if the refrigerant leaked out.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:58 AM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yeah, I hate LG too: my 7 year old French Door fridge crapped out after 7 years. Cost replace part with labor wasn't worth fixing.

I'm kidding- and this hate Dometic shtick is frankly misplaced IMO.
Apples and oranges. That unit had maybe 24 total operating hours on it when it failed. And it was specifically designed to be discarded if it did.

And one need only look back at the myriad of issues folks have had with trying to get the 8 Series refrigerators to cool properly, as well as the numerous issues with their warranty service as a whole, to see it's not 'shtick'.
Old 06-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #93

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
It was copper colored, so I'm assuming it wasn't aluminum. But there was also no charging port. It was designed so the whole unit was to be discarded if the refrigerant leaked out.
That doesn't mean that it can't be recharged. I have a clamp on charging port. It pierces the tube and allows for recharging. Once installed it stays on.

The rule used to be that a system that leaked could be recharged once. If it leaked again then you couldn't legally recharge it a second time.

Which reminds me, I really should dispose of my cans and tank of Freon 12, not much market for it these days.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #94
Site Team

Quote:
I wonder what refrigerant it uses... my Norcold compressor fridge uses some butane mix.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:42 PM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
I wonder what refrigerant it uses... my Norcold compressor fridge uses some butane mix.
Good question. I assumed it was just R-134A but it might be something more specialized.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:45 AM   #96

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Good question. I assumed it was just R-134A but it might be something more specialized.
The Dometic Penguin air conditioners have traditionally used R-410A refrigerant.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:24 PM   #97

Believe it or not that plastic sheet covering the vents on that cover isn't working the greatest. The top of the vent cover leaks when it rains, and the sheet created a little pocket out of the vents that filled up with water as the rain leaked thru the top and ran down the inside. Normally the rain would leak out the vents, but with the vents covered, that's a no go. So either I'm going to need to add some drain holes, or figure out how to seal the top.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:39 PM   #98
Site Team

I'd put a bead of some urethane sealant like Lexel or Proflex RV around it, screw it back on, boom, sealed.
Old 07-26-2022, 10:59 PM   #99

Something like that had also crossed my mind, but it would also be nice to confirm that it isn't leaking if it does rain. A small flashing across the top is also another thought.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:45 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
Something like that had also crossed my mind, but it would also be nice to confirm that it isn't leaking if it does rain. A small flashing across the top is also another thought.
I've noted that a number of the side attachments on the Escape came from the factory with sealant on the sides and top but none on the bottom.