Rooftop Solar wire Routing E19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Rooftop Solar wire Routing E19

I have a 2017 E19 and I will be running the solar panel wires to the controller that will be installed in driver's side dinette. Can I get some input on method of using the refrigerator vent chase then past bathroom to dinette box. Do you have to pull refrigerator or can you snake wires forward to box? Held off this job because of this step and now biting the bullet.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM   #2

Escape 19 rooftop solar install

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
I have a 2017 E19 and I will be running the solar panel wires to the controller that will be installed in driver's side dinette. Can I get some input on method of using the refrigerator vent chase then past bathroom to dinette box. Do you have to pull refrigerator or can you snake wires forward to box? Held off this job because of this step and now biting the bullet.
Trying once more to get input on my above search for input on getting wire to controller. Is it possible to snake to dinette bench from refrigerator vent without pulling fridge?
Old 07-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I have to be careful with my answer because on my previous 19 it was pretty easy to drop wires through the vent on the roof down to the exterior access area for the fridge. Then drill a small hole in the front corner "floor" and drop the wires down into the cavity below. Then they can be snaked forward or aft.

My 19 was Gen 1 and had the rounded shell and there was space to snake wires.

My 21 is Gen 2 and I've done the same thing with solar wires etc. so your 19 shouldn't be a problem.

A little patience is required. Work something flexible through the space, attach some cord to it and pull your wires through.

I have a cord over twice the length required. It stays in place. If I want to run wire for a new device I can tape the new wire to it and pull it through the hidden space. Then I detach the wire and pull the extra cord back ready for use again. Saves have to fish stuff through each time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have to be careful with my answer because on my previous 19 it was pretty easy to drop wires through the vent on the roof down to the exterior access area for the fridge. Then drill a small hole in the front corner "floor" and drop the wires down into the cavity below. Then they can be snaked forward or aft.

My 19 was Gen 1 and had the rounded shell and there was space to snake wires.

My 21 is Gen 2 and I've done the same thing with solar wires etc. so your 19 shouldn't be a problem.

A little patience is required. Work something flexible through the space, attach some cord to it and pull your wires through.

I have a cord over twice the length required. It stays in place. If I want to run wire for a new device I can tape the new wire to it and pull it through the hidden space. Then I detach the wire and pull the extra cord back ready for use again. Saves have to fish stuff through each time.

Ron
Ron,
I knew you did it so was hoping for a reply. Thanks!
I was just looking in front outside fridge compartment and saw a propane/12v wires going into lower front corner wall. I don't yet know what cavity opening below to drill hole down through floor. Also I wondered if lines from 120V plus others in hot water tank area was a possible point to run snake to front dinette. I saw the opening at front with wire bundle was small and would need to be careful trying to get into same wall cavity going back behind bathroom.

I have an electrician"s snake but don't want to damage anything or get hung up. I guess it might be best to run snake aft and see its I can find it.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #5

It's definitely doable but using care is the operative word. I did get snagged a couple of times but with care you can get through the whole length.

I opened up a storage area under the furnace and the photo shows that there are a lot of wires etc. in the area. It also shows that there's a lot of wasted unused storage space in the area. Any of the "back walls" are just light plywood and can be wiggled loose for access to help run wires or to gain storage.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-11-2014 3-39-10 PM6_resize.jpg   23-11-2014 3-49-26 PM3_resize.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #6

I was planning on a mod to open up storage below furnace and maybe this now moves it up on list. Did you get Escape to make a cabinet door to access routinely? I have to get one for front and maybe this is #2. Also need to deal with propane sensor in this spot.

Since you also dealt with boats, why not use Sikaflex instead of Dicor?
Old 07-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #7

Yes, the door came from ETI. I opened up two areas and bought two doors. There is a bit of flexibility in sizes. They come complete with hardware.

I should mention that the "back walls" in the compartments are more like back fences in that they don't actually go up the overhead plywood. There's a bit of finger room and enough room to shine a light and mirror into. On my 21 I trimmed a small amount off one corner and it made it much easier to get the cable through.

I've used lots of 3M 5200 and Sikaflex and there're great products but lot's of folks use Dicor products and from what I've seen they're pretty good also.

Just don't ever say you used silicone, Donna D's ears will burn.

Ron
Old 07-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's definitely doable but using care is the operative word. I did get snagged a couple of times but with care you can get through the whole length.

I opened up a storage area under the furnace and the photo shows that there are a lot of wires etc. in the area. It also shows that there's a lot of wasted unused storage space in the area. Any of the "back walls" are just light plywood and can be wiggled loose for access to help run wires or to gain storage.

Ron
Ron,
Now have snake from dinette to under refrigerator compartment and needing access from above to this area. In the outside accessible refrigerator compartment on my 2017 E19 I probed the front wall where the propane and 2 - 12V lines enter from below but it seems too tight and possibly in framing not open cavity. Drilling bottom outside corner hole may not work there, again due to framing and concern with wires and hose.

Did you move off front wall and drill down on refrigerator compartment floor pan? And if so, did you insert a sealed riser for wire hole to prevent water entering inside plus seal wire grommet to ensure propane doesn't enter trailer?