Water Pump not Working after using City Water - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2021, 03:56 PM   #1
JHR

Trailer: N/A
Water Pump not Working after using City Water

Hello - I could not find a thread for my issue and the Escape UTube video doesn't cover it either. Thought I would come to the experts.

Issue: Connected to city water for 1.5 days. Had the water pump turned on while connected to city water. (Don't know what I was thinking!)

Disconnected from from City water and filled up fresh water tank to disinfect lines. Water pump is turned on - no water water coming out of the facets. I can hear the water pump running. Cleaned out the filter in the pump - no luck. No water coming through the facet. I have the hot water tank in bypass mode - Later read it should not be in bypass mode to sanitize but don't think that would cause my problem. ?

Re-connected to city water, turned off water pump and water ran fine.

Because I had the water pump on while connected to city water could there be a bunch of air in the line and that's why it doesn't work when not connected to city water? If so, how do I get the air out? Something else?

I read the thread "water Pump Air/Spitting Water". In my case there is no spitting of water or air when the water pump was turned on and disconnected from city water.

I have a 19' Escape - 2019

I'm new at all of this - nothing is too basic in your explanation. Thanks very much for your help,
Julia
JHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Use one or the other but not both water systems.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:06 PM   #3
JHR

Ya, I understand my mistake about being connected to city water and having the water pump on but how do I get the air out of the line? Or maybe that is not the problem?
Old 03-30-2021, 05:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You will get a number of fixes. None are probably wrong but only one or
Two will fix your problem.
Here’s a few to try
1. With pump running slowly flip the pressure relief valve at the top of the water heater ( without the burner or element running so you don’t get scalded, and see if air comes out and then water.

Go inside an one by one open every tap, hot and cold including flushing the toilet and the outside water if you have it. They will take some time spitting before
They run steady.

Access your pump and look at the line and filter cap to see if you can see bubbles. If you can you’re sucking air. Might be the filter cap seal or a cracked cap or not tight or the line to the pump letting air in.

Make sure your winterizing t valve is set for operation and put you thumb over the open end that sucks
Antifreeze out of the jug to make sure the t valve is not sucking air.

Ok everybody, give this man some pointers on what happened to you once. These four things have happened to me and each fixed the “problem du jour”.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #5
JHR

Thanks Dave, It's going to be too cold to put water back in the tank today but a warming trend is on the way and I will work through your suggestions one by one.
Julia
Old 03-30-2021, 10:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 17B
Do you have water in your freshwater tank? To help prime the water pump, try pouring a cup of water into the water filter screen then screw the cap back on so it is snug.
BC_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
First, there is a check valve in the pump that if not worn or damaged, allows flow in only one direction and prevents city water from flowing through the pump and into the fresh water tank. If it fails, the fresh water tank will fill and eventually overflow, resulting in a stream of water OUTSIDE of the trailer in the general area near the drain valve, but at the top of the tank. It will be readily visible running onto the ground. If the fresh water tank was empty, while you were on city water and had the pump turned on, could you hear the pump running? It shuts off when it senses the system is up to pressure. If the check valve is functioning and the fresh water tank is empty, the pump would likely run constantly because it’s sensor does not shut it down until it gets to a set pressure.
That being said, while these pumps can run dry, I do not know what happens if they run dry for long periods of time. You say you can hear the pump’s motor running, but is it still functional for pumping? If you have a winterizing valve with a hose, fill a container with water, stick the open end of the winterizing hose into the water, and see if the pump sucks water out of the container. You can also do this with vinyl tubing with the correct fitting if you do not have the wintering valve by disconnecting the inflow side (side with the filter bowl) and attaching the tube with the fitting and sticking it in the container of water, or carefully filling the tube with water while keeping it elevated. If you are working alone, find a way to keep it elevated so you can turn on the pump. If water flows out of the container or the elevated tube empties, you likely have an airlock in the fresh water tank’s line as someone else has suggested. If not, the pump is probably damaged and will either need to be repaired, if possible, or replaced.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Hi Julia
Have you watched the Escape Trailer video of Reace trouble shooting water pumps ?
That may be helpful
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
JHR

Hello - I have watched the video. It was the first thing I did. I haven't taken the water pump apart yet because it turns on. Just no water or air comes out of any facet or the toilet. Makes me scratch my head. :-)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #10
JHR

I figured it Out

Hello,

First I wanted to say thank you to this group, I really appreciated your suggestions. I am a newbie when it comes to trailers and how they work. My Escape 19' is the only trailer I've owned or plan to own. Lots to learn....

I went through your suggestions and nothing worked and I stood there and scratched my head. Then I went back to the Escape uTube video. When I pulled out the filter to clean it, I checked for moisture and there was water in the hole that the filter sits in. I ruled out adding water because it wasn't "dry".

I got brave and added just a bit of water thinking it would overflow and much to my surprise the water pump gobbled it up. I ended up adding about 1 to 1.5 cups, turned on the water pump, opened up the faucet and water came gushing out.

Problem solved and I've learned quite a bit, well at least more than I have ever known about a water pump.

Thank you again and I hope everyone has a wonderful camping season.

Julia
Old 04-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Have faith in sincere advice

Here’s a ditty that seems appropriate. Glad you got the pump to work.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-16-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
JHR

Pretty appropriate and funny Iowa Dave. Thanks for the smile.

Tags
no water, water ok with city water, water pump not working