Which 6 volt AGM batteries to choose? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 10:18 AM   #41

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I read this the other day, didn't see where it was AGM specific and the "conditioning" numbers sound like they are talking flooded.
I'm certainly no battery expert, but AGM is mentioned repeatedly throughout the document and to my knowledge Lifeline only manufactures AGM type. Here is their take on conditioning or equalizing. I believe it is only necessary if the batteries are never getting fully recharged.
Can I equalize AGM batteries? - Lifeline Batteries

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I'm certainly no battery expert, but AGM is mentioned repeatedly throughout the document and to my knowledge Lifeline only manufactures AGM type. Here is their take on conditioning or equalizing. I believe it is only necessary if the batteries are never getting fully recharged.
Can I equalize AGM batteries? - Lifeline Batteries
My bad, you are right. I was under the impression one did not equalize AGM's, wrong on that count too.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
My bad, you are right. I was under the impression one did not equalize AGM's, wrong on that count too.
Not all AGM battery technology is the same - some of the other brands do not recommend equalization.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
The only solution that I have found, if you want proper charging from the tug, is a BtoB charger which will raise the input voltages to appropriate charge voltages.
Good luck with your decisions.

Allan- Which BtoB charger did you use? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

Not all AGM battery technology is the same - some of the other brands do not recommend equalization.
actually, they are all pretty darn similar, its just a question if the battery maker thinks equalization is useful or not.

AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead Acid) batteries use antimony doped lead plates, with woven glass fiber mats between the plates to hold the sulphuric acid in place, so even if the case cracks little or no acid leaks out. if they are severely overcharged, the electrolyte outgasses and the valves open, and the cells weep excess acid, but this should never happen during normal and even reasonably abnormal operation. due to the antimony doping, they like a few 0.1 volts higher during the absorption phase compared with a conventional wet cell. the optimal duration of the absorption phase is dependent on the size of the battery.
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:05 AM   #46

IMHO (hah hah, value of said opinion is about US$ 0.02)

the 21st century RV power solution should include a power converter with solar, AC, and tug inputs, and automatically select between the power sources to optimally manage the battery charge state with a single charge controller, isntead of having multiple regulators/controllers all trying to do the same thing.
2006 Yellow Lab (Maggie... RIP Feb 2019 )
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post

the 21st century RV power solution should include a power converter with solar, AC, and tug inputs, and automatically select between the power sources to optimally manage the battery charge state with a single charge controller, isntead of having multiple regulators/controllers all trying to do the same thing.

Sure. But on the other hand, there’s something to be said for multiple redundant systems, each of which is also simpler than one device capable of doing it all. When, not if, one system fails, it’s good to have an alternative or alternatives that still operate.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
While I think multiple controllers are functionally required - if only because two are often used at the same time - everything would work better if they were coordinated. This would not be technically difficult (with network communication to a central manager), and only requires 20th century technology, but no one sells it as far as I know. It could be assembled from unrelated charger/controllers, but only if each one has some reasonable sort of external control input.

Coordinating multiple charger/controllers would not stop them from independently operating as well as they do now if the coordinating system failed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 AM   #49

Trailer: Excited new owner of a gently broken in 2016 Escape 21
Quote:

I agree with your $ 0.02. I’m in the process of planning battery upgrade, adding solar, inverter, etc and am overwhelmed by the many requirements and choices!!

yologals is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm batteries