Adirondacks NY Hwy 8 or 28? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2024, 11:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 E19
Adirondacks NY Hwy 8 or 28?

I'm contemplating a trip from OK to Acadia NP and the Maine coastline. Rather than just shoot up and back on the expressways, I am thinking of driving on the way up through the Adirondacks and the White Mountain NF. Does anyone have personal experience driving NY state highway 8 or 28? Or any thoughts about which highways to continue eastward on through VT, NH, and Maine?

When I look at the road atlas, all the highways meander hither and yon like they were laid out by a drunkard. I image the countryside must be quite rugged and hilly. I'm wondering how trailer-friendly the roads are. Looking at last week of May to first half of June as a rough time window, so no snow worries. (Mosquito worries, maybe!)

Also, any suggestions on scenic places to visit are welcome. I already know I'd like to visit Watkins Glen SP.

TIA.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:26 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I'm contemplating a trip from OK to Acadia NP and the Maine coastline.
Watkins Glen is a definite must do. Last June, I visited there (camped at Sampson SP 30 minutes away) and it was very nice and no mosquitos.
The Corning glass museum is also spectacular, as is the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. Lots of wineries in the area.

I live near the top of the I-81, so my routes through the Adirondacks have tended to be north-south rather than east-west, so I'll let others comment on 8 vs 28. Certainly the road (NY49) beside the Erie Canal is scenic. I drove US15 from Washington to Williamsport NY then NY14 and it was very scenic and trailer-friendly (You can wave to vermilye as you pass Oswego). If you haven't seen Gettysburg, it is worth doing.

vermilye maintains an extensive journal of his travels at https://lakeshoreimages.com/, including the areas you are planning to travel through. Worth a read.

Sounds like a grand adventure.
Old 02-05-2024, 07:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Casita
We spent a month in that area last Fall with Acadia our final destination, but hurricane Lee sent us home early. You're correct that the highways meander a lot, but we never encountered any roads we considered bad. Would recommend the Finger Lakes area of New York. Lots of wine, Watkins Glen, Corning, etc. Vermont and New Hampshire were nice, with lots of small towns and villages, some quite the tourist town. Don't miss Mt Washington. Drive to the top if it's a clear day. One can easily travel four states in a day there if needed, bu we found it was a great area to just wander around. Lots of small nfs campgrounds in the Green Mountains of Vermont, and the White Mountains of New Hampshire.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You have enough time to access the tourism sites for each state you’re planning to visit and have them send you a print copy of their 2024 tourism guides. I do this whenever I’m going somewhere I haven’t been for a while. You get a paper roadmap, and some nice literature that features sections on restaurants, museums, parks and camping, historic sites Etc. That’s how I would start.
ON EDIT
I’ve been looking At tourism Sites This morning.
There’s a lot of them in the east who no longer mail out free
print guides. So you will have to peruse the states especially New York one at a time and search for specific areas and read up on them. I was a little disappointed but I can somewhat understand the costs involved so I guess it’s a sign of the times.
On my bucket list is to drive the highway (in good weather) through the Hainesville woods in Maine. In a tribute to country singer Dick Curtiss (Tombstone every mile)
Iowa Dave
Old 02-05-2024, 12:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
If you're in the Watkins Glen area and have some extra time you may want to consider visiting Letchworth State Park. With the Genesee River flowing through the gorge in the park, it is considered by many to be the most scenic State Park in the east.

I don't think you would go wrong with either route through the Adirondacks. I have a little more experience with route 8. Making stops at Speculator and Fort Ticonderoga before taking the ferry across Lake Champlain and into Vermont.
If you venture a little further north you can find some nice camping Fish Creek and Rollins Pond campgrounds. They are located near Saranac Lake and also not far from Lake Placid.
Don't be deceived by its location in the East. At nearly 3 times the size of Yellowstone National Park, The Adirondack Park is truly a big place.

No trip to New Hampshire would be complete without visiting the Presidential Range of the White Mountains. Route 302 will take you through some of the nicest sections of the range.
If you're feeling particularly adventurous and want a memorable driving experience you could try the Kancamagus Highway. (Okay, maybe not with the trailer.)

Not sure if this would work with your travel plans but there is a fiberglass rally May 16-18 at the Chocorua KOA located in Tamworth New Hampshire. It would be a good opportunity to meet up with some New England fiberglass owners and get some inside information about the area before moving on to Acadia.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:22 PM   #6

Some good help there already, thanks. The rally will be too early, but thanks for mentioning it. I'll definitely look up Letchworth, it sounds similar to Watkins Glen... but better? Wow. Keep 'em coming!
Old 02-05-2024, 06:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Depending on your route, an overnight at Rickets Glen State Park in NE PA is worth a stop, particularly if you like streams with beautiful cataracts & waterfalls. My favorite state park, bar none. 21 waterfalls along a 7 mile hike. Both dry camping as well as hookups, bathrooms with showers. It is about 90 miles / 2 hours southeast of Watkins Glen. If you approach from the south (Red Rock) there is a 2 mile, 18% grade climb to the park; approaching from the north is fairly flat.

As to NY 28, it is a bit "twisty" through the Catskills, but a main road through the Adirondacks. My usual route through the Adirondacks is 28 to 28N to 30 to 3 to US 2.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As to NY 28, it is a bit "twisty" through the Catskills, but a main road through the Adirondacks. My usual route through the Adirondacks is 28 to 28N to 30 to 3 to US 2.
Interesting, thanks. I looked up that route; you're taking the ferry, eh? I'd noticed that the only road across was near Crown Point. Your northern route would give me more time in the Daks, so I'll give it some serious thought.

Ricketts Glen sounds wonderful. Maybe on the way back....
Old 02-06-2024, 10:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I've taken the ferry at Plattsburgh, but when I have the trailer I usually take the bridge using US 2 at Rouses Point.