Alaska trip 2022 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21...our EscapePod; 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
Alaska trip 2022

Heading to Alaska June 1st from Wa. Cross at Lynden to Prince Rupert, Whitehorse, Tok, Valdez, Seward, Denali, top of the world to Dawson City, then up Dempster to TukTuk and then back...roughly 7K in miles, about 40 days. Have had tires, brakes and bearings all checked and greased. Carrying two spares for both truck and trailer, bug spray, generator, extra water, gas cans, etc. booked campgrounds...still plenty of space. Any other advice/thoughts for this trip? Who else is going? Jim
camperwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 03:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 Apache
I would carry an extra set of bearings as well as a (mini) lube gun plus enough tools to basically fix anything on the trailer. I've done the drive to Alaska with a camper 3 times (and now live here), and I think the biggest challenge is the road conditions, mostly in construction areas and the last 100 miles before getting to Alaska. There is a lot of gravel thrown up. So much that we had the trailer brake wire cut by it. The last 100 miles are probably the worse roads you will ever drive due to frost heaves. Just take it easy through there, and plan for 1/2 the speed you were doing until then. The rest of the road is actually quite good.

I'd also suggest the Milepost, but beware that a lot of the small places may be out of business due to COVID.

It is a beautiful drive. Enjoy!

BTW: make sure you've done everything for the border crossing to Canada, including the ArriveCAN app. It isn't as bad as when we went through a year ago, but you still need to have your ducks in a row before getting to the Canadian border.
warsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 escape 17b -sia-
We have traveled all the roads mentioned in the original post, with the exception of the
dempster. I have read other posters report they travel on sketchy gravel byways and have
not had any problems, but we soon learned to take some precautions to protect our 17b
from washboard gravel sections that can be frequent in construction zones.
Rock tamer mud flaps with a hula skirt brush mounted inside to keep rocks from
bouncing off the flaps. A split vinyl hose wire-tied around exposed sewer pipe. Pipe
insulating foam wire-tied around awning hardware frame and end of spool. Painters
tape on exposed leading edges of plastic exterior lights and protruding items. We also
secure the refrigerator door with tight stretch bands to keep it in place. We try to keep
any heavier items in floor-braced to prevent movement.
We also carry a small jump starter/power bank with adapter for charging devices.
this may sound extreme to some, but we have been traveling this area for years and
know what to expect road condition-wise. We used to carry 2-3 jerry jugs full of fuel
but after learning where fuel was available discontinued that practice, although that
would be advisable on the dempster.
Hope you have a wonderful adventure on your trip-wish we could go on the leg to tuk.
We will be in BC/Yukon/Alaska in late July/August-will look for you in Dawson City-one of
our favorite towns. have fun. FGunderson/Wrangell,Alaska
fgunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I was stationed up there during my military service and the one thing you can't bring enough of is insect repellant. The mosquito is the (unofficial) state bird. Before we learned that 100-percent deet was bad for you, I used to slather that stuff all through my hair, neck ears, even when wearing a hat, and they will try to bore through your jeans too, but are usually not successful with that.

The current data that I received from my son's boy scout troop several years ago suggests a formula with no more than 15-percent deet, and as long as you apply it everywhere it should do the trick, or if you find a non-deet based repellant that works for you - great! When I was there some people had decent luck with skin-so-soft, but I don't know where you find that in a store now days. There are newer "devices" you can wear that are supposed to repel mosquitos, but I have not been back to Alaska to try them. Just don't count on them doing the complete job in Alaska.

Of course everything folks say about the roads and construction are true, including your spare tires, gas, and count on likely having to replacing your windshield too - but not until you get back home. Road construction projects tend to start as soon as the snow clears and then you can pass by them every day during the summer and swear they are making no progress. Then magically at the end of September, first week of October they all get done!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #5

Thank you for all your suggestions. We have been using the milepost for planning our trip and have already booked several campground and RV sites. Plan to go slow during road construction and just take our time to enjoy Alaska and Canada. Hope to see and meet other folks along the way. J&J
Old 05-17-2022, 06:00 AM   #6

Trailer: class B camper van- 2021
Have a Safe trip buddy! enjoy well��
levi&live72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
For the bugs, timing is everything. There are times when they're less bothersome.

In addition to bug spray we have these funny looking screened hats. Worth their weight in gold.

Actually when we were in Alaska the bugs weren't too bad. The worst place ever for bugs was Wells Grey Park. To say that we felt under attack was an understatement. They might look funny but they sure work.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P6020023_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape
One word of caution. Three years ago we made a side trip off the Cassiar highway to Hyder, AK. for a Halibut dinner. On the way back to the Cassiar on 37A, at around 10 P.M. (still light) we stopped at a rest stop that had two vault toilets. No one else there so I parked very close to the facilities. I was approaching the vault toilet door and something caught my eye right next to the toilet. I was staring into some big brown eyes. I backed up and stupidly stood behind my car door to look closer. It was a large grizzly foraging next to the toilet. He was hidden by the tall grass. I got in the car and we just watched him for a spell. He then walked out in front of us and continued eating. Probably a 1000 lbs on him. Never displayed any aggression. But.......my point is NEVER EVER assume the tall grass in and around the rest stops are danger free......He could have had me in a second. I was literally 4 feet from those big eyes.... Take care and don't assume anything when it comes to bears unless it's to assume they are close...
USMCJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:39 AM   #9

We have our bug shirt and pants, just in case the mosquitoes get too much where we will be traveling. Also bringing bear spray to have on us just in case.....hope for the best and also hope a bear does not take a liking to our escape....not sure it would hold up for long under those claws. Thanks again for your suggestions.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Don’t miss Laird hot springs it’s worth the stop. Also make absolutely sure your comprehensive insurance on your truck has a zero deductible. It doesn’t cost that much but it will pay for a crack in your windshield. Their is a high probability that might happen.ive driven both the Cassier and the Alaskan Highway and seen plenty of flying rocks. If you go through a construction zone where it’s chip sealed look out for semi trucks coming at your they don’t slow down. Pull over as far as you can. Sometimes if I had time I would weave all over the road like I was drunk it really pis**ed them off but they slowed right down. You can tell how fast they are going by the size of the dust cloud.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #11

Will be camping at Laird River Hot Springs on July 9th.....towards the end of the trip. Looking forward to it.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:13 AM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I always keep a couple big pieces of cardboard under the bed. My friends father was away many years ago. One of the windows got hit with gravel and smashed. He had cardboard and tape ready to go. Carried on and had the window fixed down the road.
Old 05-25-2022, 10:12 AM   #13

Great advice, i will be adding that to my list.