Breakout to the Bosque - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2021, 01:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Breakout to the Bosque

Sunday I had to break out, get out of Dodge, so we took the trailer down to the best wildlife refuge in the state, the Bosque del Apache, which is a 2½ hr drive south of us. Been there maybe 6 times over the years to shoot the birds. Usually tens of thousands of snow geese and sandhill cranes there at this time, because it is a great feeding spot on their flyway to Mexico. The visitor center was closed of course, and bird population was very low, because of the drought. But we stayed at a very nice, cheap nearby rv campground and I still got some shots.

The Chupadero Mountain View RV Park is one of two trailer parks on the road into the Bosque. Though very small, 10 sites with hookups, at $20 a night what's not to like? I can verify their great reviews are well deserved. We took a chance and drove in without reservations but, no problem. Guessing what we didn't know was that because of the drought the usual crowd of bird photographers who love the place stayed away.

The other thing was, though our sleeping bags were effective that very cold night, we avoided using the loudly cycling trailer furnace and ran a small ceramic electric heater instead. Other issue was I made the mistake of letting Josie out off the leash to give her some needed exercise. She is a rescue from running free on the reservations where she was born, and misses that freedom. Josie promptly took off out into the wide open farmland spaces outside the park. That was real trouble for me since I knew she was thinking hey, I'm back on the rez. She would not come back when called. I could see her looking back at me from a hundred yards away and thinking, "Is he nuts?" I got plenty of exercise before finally tracking her down.

Good thing I had a 50 amp dongle because they only have 50 amp connections. First time I ever used it and proves it pays to be prepared, could efficiently charge up all the camera batteries. Can't remember the owner's name but he is great. The place was less than half full.
Attached Thumbnails
ChupaderoRV.jpg   Bosqueloop.jpg   SnowGeeseBos.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Nice shot Myron.

I was planning on going next month. Do you think it is a worth while adventure?

I would like to go shoot birds there.

Getting a 50 to 30 mp converter. Thanks for that.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:30 PM   #3

There are several wildlife refuges down along I-25, all within the flyway the birds use. I always thought the Bosque del Apache, being the biggest, with the best driving loops, was the best. But yesterday I was surprised to find the population I expected to see dramatically diminished. The massive wetlands there that provide feeding grounds were very much dry, so the majority of birds found other places down I-25 and I missed that.

When we got home my photo buddy called to tell me that on their way down they saw us driving on I-25 towing north. They then stopped at the Bernardo wildlife refuge, about 35 miles north of the Bosque, and the masses of birds we didn't see were there.

I really don't know what to expect in February. The Bosque del Apache online site usually has population sightings listed. That may help you decide. Regardless, you will need your 600mm telephoto.
Old 01-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
eBird

I guess most of you birders know about this website, but just in case:

https://ebird.org/home

You can type in an address and find out about the birds that have been found in that area. Lately I've noticed a lot of bird watchers going slowly down my road. On my daily walk I asked one why the sudden interest. She told me about eBird and that the adjacent road was on its "hot" list for lots of species sighted.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Here's one I got this weekend. 200mm.

Thanks for the info Myron.

I will make a post and show some others soon.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
T03_6567.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:30 PM   #6

A word to the wise: I should mention, if you are in the area and decide to go up to Soccoro (8 miles) and drive thru the drive-in window lane of the McDonalds there, do not attempt it when towing your Escape. I paid more attention to the sign that said height 9 feet and totally missed the sign that said no trailers. Paid for my McBurger and looked back to see how horribly close the trailer was to the building. About an inch. Made it very-very slowly through. No fix for stupid, just luck.

Great shots! I saw only one raptor at the Bosque. Too far for a frame filler.
Attached Thumbnails
ChupaderoRV3.jpg  
Old 01-05-2021, 09:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 17B
Who goes to McDonald’s when there are two delicious greasy green chili burger joints in nearby San Antonio?
Calicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:06 AM   #8

Quite right, but this place (the best) was closed and since I never de-hitched and had camera equipment in the truck did not want to take a chance at the Owl.

For unknown reasons MickeyD does not serve breakfast bacon egg and cheese on a biscuit after 10 am. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails
BosqSanAntonio.jpg  
Old 01-06-2021, 08:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Can't remember the owner's name but he is great.
Jose. (At least according to campground reviews on the web)
Old 01-06-2021, 08:47 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 15A
I didn't know some campsites only have 50 amp... I have a 30 amp adapter (my little 15A only has 15 amp) but not a 50, putting that on the list.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I didn't know some campsites only have 50 amp... I have a 30 amp adapter (my little 15A only has 15 amp) but not a 50, putting that on the list.
They are handy. I've used mine at least once on every trip. While rare to find only 50 amp receptacles available, I've often found badly worn 30 amp receptacles with a usable 50 amp in the same pedestal.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
They are handy. I've used mine at least once on every trip. While rare to find only 50 amp receptacles available, I've often found badly worn 30 amp receptacles with a usable 50 amp in the same pedestal.
Is it bad practice to have a 50>30 adapter connected to a 30>15 adapter?

50>15 adapters look fairly rare, though I am finding a few.
Old 01-06-2021, 10:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Is it bad practice to have a 50>30 adapter connected to a 30>15 adapter?

50>15 adapters look fairly rare, though I am finding a few.
Generally, you don't want to chain adapters since every connection is a place for problems, but if that is the only way to connect, go for it.

One caution - If your 15 amp wiring is typical, I would be concerned if there is no 15 amp breaker in the string. 50 amps over a piece of #14 wire will let the smoke out...
Old 01-06-2021, 01:33 PM   #14

Good question, I assume there is a breaker but I just got the camper in November and haven't really verified that, as it is slumbering under a blanket of snow. I plan to do some wiring and outlet upgrades in the spring, which will give me a chance to check it out.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #15

Trailer: looking to purchase
Wiring size issue is a concern for actual current passing through wire, not for potential current. Your house has at least a 200 amp service. Only a problem in trailer if one circuit decides to need all 50 amps, which would hopefully trip breaker. May not.
Every connection is a potential problem. Worn out receptacles, or “cheap” (poorly made) connectors, such as at the pedestal or the adapters are most likely problem. Don’t expect a circuit breaker to prevent a problem at a receptacle or adapter. The connection may overheat without tripping the breaker. Just have a good connection with quality adapters. Receptacles do wear out. Parks should replace them when worn. Worn through use and weather.
If you need 50 amps in your RV, should not use adapters for a 15 amp service at the pedestal. Will likely overload adapter and pedestal. Breaker might not trip, and adapters could melt from overloading/heat. If a 50 amp service connection at the pedestal is adapted to a 15 amp RV, not a real problem. The current won’t try to force its way into the RV. Only the current that is needed will pass.
cocinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #16

I had to reread to see that you were talking about photography and not hunting. Haven’t done much photography for 20+ years since being a part time freelance photojournalist.
Trying to retrain myself with digital stuff. My portable darkroom is no longer relevant. Now it will be my laptop, if I can figure out photoshop and how to properly use my camera.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocinas View Post
I had to reread to see that you were talking about photography and not hunting. Haven’t done much photography for 20+ years since being a part time freelance photojournalist.
Trying to retract myself digital stuff. My portable darkroom is no longer relevant. Now it will be my laptop, if I can figure out photoshop and how to properly use my camera.
Amen still trying to figure ours out lol
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 05:41 PM   #18

Thanks for the post - I am just learning about bird locations and birding in general. Difficult with covid when Audobon does not have group events/walks. Did not know about Bosque. Will place that on my need to visit list.