Cross Country Trip Rt. 80 West to East and back - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2022, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 Escape
Cross Country Trip Rt. 80 West to East and back

Hi all, My husband Rick and I are planning a cross country trip in our new 2022 5.0 TA Escape! We don't have a bunch of time. We plan on doing the round trip in 5 weeks. We figured that Rt. 80 would be most direct. I'd like to know if anyone has tips on making this plan a success. We are totally new to this and would appreciate any guidance. Thanks so much! Disneyfan
Disneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Congrats on your new Escape!

Sounds like you are going to put it to use!

Not sure what advice you were looking for but we just returned from our first "extended" trip (2 weeks) and drove both directions on I-80 between Salt Lake City and Sacramento.

I had asked for similar advice. You might find some of the responses useful (I did): https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ast-22100.html

I chose not to exceed 65 mph which worked out in spite of some limits being 80. We also drove on a few smaller highways and I found I-80 to feel safer and less stressful as other drivers were able to pass instead of waiting for me to pull over!

I will say I-15 between SLC and Provo is stressful. Hopefully you can avoid that one!

We set a goal of 5 hrs max driving time per day for planning purposes. This worked well as I was never TOTALLY fried (only partially) and we had flexibility for set-up, packing, delays, etc.

We stayed in commercial campgrounds because we wanted electrical hookups in case we needed AC. We did use AC a couple times in Nevada, even in May. We were concerned about reservations but did not want to commit a schedule we couldn't keep so we booked sites one day in advance as we went. We spent too much but never had an issue finding a place to spend a night. The RV parks definitely filled up though.

I'm sure you will get a lot of support from seasoned Escape travelers here. We are still learning!

Mike
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We just returned from Northern California to central Florida and back with our then 5 month old 21C.

We have done this trip 3 times in 5 years with a camper. Always go the southern route. This year, we detoured up to Wyoming on the return to avoid wild fires in New Mexico and Arizona. Ended up with mid 20 F nights, black ice, 40 mph wind and blowing snow. 6 of one…
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
We did it from the SF Bay Area to NY on I 80. The weather nowadays can be unpredictable no matter what route you take. 5 weeks is plenty…we took our time, 15 days, stopped and enjoyed the scenery. You may want to go a different way back. Why see the same route?
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
Hi all, My husband Rick and I are planning a cross country trip in our new 2022 5.0 TA Escape! We don't have a bunch of time. We plan on doing the round trip in 5 weeks. We figured that Rt. 80 would be most direct. I'd like to know if anyone has tips on making this plan a success. We are totally new to this and would appreciate any guidance. Thanks so much! Disneyfan
I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of I80. I80 becomes a toll road starting in Illinois and east from there. Tolls are pretty high because they are based on the number of axles and height, not weight.

I agree with the comment about keeping your speed 65 or below regardless. So, we normally don't travel by Interstate highways. There really isn't a lot to see on them.

If you do take I80 and are a fan of rollercoasters. Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio is the 'Roller Coaster Capital of the World".

Cedar Point named best amusement park in America by USA Today readers; Steel Vengeance named best roller coaster

"Located on a Lake Erie peninsula in Sandusky, Ohio, Cedar Point bills itself as 'the roller coaster capital of the world' with 18 thrilling coasters covering 10 miles of track (out of more than 70 total rides)," the editors wrote. "The 364-acre park has a history dating back to 1870, making it the second oldest continually operated amusement park on the continent, and it's managed to maintain that classic park feel, complete with 3 miles of midway and one of the only operating D.C. Muller carousels in the world."

Coming east we've taken US50, dubbed the 'Loneliest Road in America' through Nevada.
US50 runs past Great Basin National Park One of the last true dark skies in America...

From US50 you can pick up I70 and visit the Gateway Arch in St Louis, though finding parking with your trailer near the Arch is next to impossible. So, I would suggest finding a campground close enough to leave your 5.0 and just taking your truck.

In my opinion RV trips are like life, it is the journey not the destination.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:26 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
No tolls on I80 in PA, but wall-to-wall heavy trucks.

We want to go to the Southwest sometime in the coming year (we are in MA). Not really fans of driving every day and one-night-stands in RV parks, but staying 3-4 nights at each stop would take months. We might well take the train.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Congrats on your new Escape!

Sounds like you are going to put it to use!

Not sure what advice you were looking for but we just returned from our first "extended" trip (2 weeks) and drove both directions on I-80 between Salt Lake City and Sacramento.

I had asked for similar advice. You might find some of the responses useful (I did): https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ast-22100.html

I chose not to exceed 65 mph which worked out in spite of some limits being 80. We also drove on a few smaller highways and I found I-80 to feel safer and less stressful as other drivers were able to pass instead of waiting for me to pull over!

I will say I-15 between SLC and Provo is stressful. Hopefully you can avoid that one!

We set a goal of 5 hrs max driving time per day for planning purposes. This worked well as I was never TOTALLY fried (only partially) and we had flexibility for set-up, packing, delays, etc.

We stayed in commercial campgrounds because we wanted electrical hookups in case we needed AC. We did use AC a couple times in Nevada, even in May. We were concerned about reservations but did not want to commit a schedule we couldn't keep so we booked sites one day in advance as we went. We spent too much but never had an issue finding a place to spend a night. The RV parks definitely filled up though.

I'm sure you will get a lot of support from seasoned Escape travelers here. We are still learning!

Mike
Hi Mike (Shiny),
Thank you! We love our new home on the road! It's good to hear from someone who recently did the 80 route. We will definitely consider hookups for Nevada for air conditioning and thanks for the warning about Provo to SLC. It's also good to learn booking sites one day in advance worked for you.

I looked at the link you provided to the previous forum. The resources and experience on how to approach planning is very helpful. Thanks for sharing it. It's exciting to think of the possibilities after reading all the comments.

We already have some reservations where we will be staying a few days so that kind of gives us the basis for our planning. Now we have more information to guide us the rest of the way.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.
Mary (Disneyfan)
Old 06-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
We just returned from Northern California to central Florida and back with our then 5 month old 21C.

We have done this trip 3 times in 5 years with a camper. Always go the southern route. This year, we detoured up to Wyoming on the return to avoid wild fires in New Mexico and Arizona. Ended up with mid 20 F nights, black ice, 40 mph wind and blowing snow. 6 of one…
Wow! Guess you never know what to expect sometimes. Thank you for sharing and hope you have a better trip next time. I guess my takeaway would be to hope for the best and prepare for the worst!
Old 06-01-2022, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
We did it from the SF Bay Area to NY on I 80. The weather nowadays can be unpredictable no matter what route you take. 5 weeks is plenty…we took our time, 15 days, stopped and enjoyed the scenery. You may want to go a different way back. Why see the same route?
Good to know that 5 weeks is adequate. We will have to consider your suggestion of a different route back...makes sense! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2022, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I'll start by saying I'm not a fan of I80. I80 becomes a toll road starting in Illinois and east from there. Tolls are pretty high because they are based on the number of axles and height, not weight.

I agree with the comment about keeping your speed 65 or below regardless. So, we normally don't travel by Interstate highways. There really isn't a lot to see on them.

If you do take I80 and are a fan of rollercoasters. Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio is the 'Roller Coaster Capital of the World".

Cedar Point named best amusement park in America by USA Today readers; Steel Vengeance named best roller coaster

"Located on a Lake Erie peninsula in Sandusky, Ohio, Cedar Point bills itself as 'the roller coaster capital of the world' with 18 thrilling coasters covering 10 miles of track (out of more than 70 total rides)," the editors wrote. "The 364-acre park has a history dating back to 1870, making it the second oldest continually operated amusement park on the continent, and it's managed to maintain that classic park feel, complete with 3 miles of midway and one of the only operating D.C. Muller carousels in the world."

Coming east we've taken US50, dubbed the 'Loneliest Road in America' through Nevada.
US50 runs past Great Basin National Park One of the last true dark skies in America...

From US50 you can pick up I70 and visit the Gateway Arch in St Louis, though finding parking with your trailer near the Arch is next to impossible. So, I would suggest finding a campground close enough to leave your 5.0 and just taking your truck.

In my opinion RV trips are like life, it is the journey not the destination.
Hi!
Great to know about the tolls. Those points of interest sound like something we should explore on the return home. Thanks for sharing!
Mary (Disneyfan)
Old 06-01-2022, 02:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
No tolls on I80 in PA, but wall-to-wall heavy trucks.

We want to go to the Southwest sometime in the coming year (we are in MA). Not really fans of driving every day and one-night-stands in RV parks, but staying 3-4 nights at each stop would take months. We might well take the train.
Oh...yeah...trucks in PA are something to consider when pulling a trailer. We got sucked in passing a truck just recently. My husband was taken by surprise but kept cool and we calmly held our own without incident.

I think a train trip is another way to experience our beautiful country. Best travels to you, whatever you decide and thanks for sharing.

Mary (Disneyfan)
Old 06-02-2022, 10:35 AM   #12

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
No tolls on I80 in Illinois, there are tolls on I88 which leads into I90/the Tristate Toll road which, of course, has tolls which leads into the Indiana Toll road and the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Ohio Turnpike and the New York... you get the picture. I80 after the Rockies is fairly flat and through Nebraska is miles and miles of miles and miles. Keep your eyes open though and there is plenty to see and do along the way. ENJOY
Old 06-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We just returned home on I80/I70 from Osoyoos/California yesterday. We hit snow/sleet/freezing rain in Wyoming but otherwise a safe trip. Beautiful scenery accompanies the nasty weather.
Old 06-02-2022, 01:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We just returned home on I80/I70 from Osoyoos/California yesterday. We hit snow/sleet/freezing rain in Wyoming but otherwise a safe trip. Beautiful scenery accompanies the nasty weather.
That seems to be standard for you when coming home from Osoyoos rallies lol
Old 06-02-2022, 01:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
No tolls on I80 in Illinois, there are tolls on I88 which leads into I90/the Tristate Toll road which, of course, has tolls which leads into the Indiana Toll road and the Pennsylvania Turnpike and the Ohio Turnpike and the New York... you get the picture. I80 after the Rockies is fairly flat and through Nebraska is miles and miles of miles and miles. Keep your eyes open though and there is plenty to see and do along the way. ENJOY
I highly recommend EZ-Pass, seamless tolls and payments......
Old 06-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
I read about the "222" rule for RV trips. No more than 200 miles a day, be done driving for the day by 2:00pm, and stay [edit to add: “at least”] 2 nights at each place. We haven’t done a long-distance trip yet but I think I’d stick with those rules, except I could see staying one night at places when you’re trying to get somewhere. So maybe the "22" rule LOL.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Maybe it's two weeks, not two nights.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
Hi Steven!
Nice of you to share your cross-country travel experience with us. Looks like there will be no getting around tolls on Interstate/Turnpike. Glad to know that the sites along I80 will be something to keep my eyes open for
Thanks again,
Mary (Disneyfan) & Rick
Old 06-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Hi, Disneyfan, sounds like a great first trip. However, if you feel the least bit venturesome, I'd suggest considering staying off I-80 through Nevada and Utah. It's just another damn freeway with lots of traffic and definitely not scenic.

When I go across Nevada, I separate from I-80 at Fernley and take Highway 50 across the state. The scenery is infinitely better, and the pace is much more relaxed on a very nice road. When you get into Utah, follow Highway 50/6 to Heber City north of Provo, where you can catch Highway 40 to Vernal, then north on 191 where you will intersect the beloved I-80 just west of Rock Springs.

I would suggest following 40 across Colorado, but this being your first trip, you are probably a bit nervous about time constraints. On your way back home, you might want to try the southern route when you see how long your legs are and realize that you can make a lot of progress once you have learned to hurry slowly.

Enjoy your trip, and check out everything interesting. You won't regret it.
Old 06-03-2022, 03:34 AM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I have only done one major cross country trip. My best advice is unless you know where your going, don't leave the Interstate. We were in a construction backup in Iowa and I thought we would just take the backroads to go around. Well Iowa backroads aren't the same as Ontario backroads. At one point the roads turned from pavement to gravel to a trail at best. The GPS said it was good.

I have read on here, travel 2 days and rest the 3rd. Probably good advice. When I am travelling, I prefer to make a coffee and hit the road early, drive a few hours and stop for breakfast and always have a plan to stop by 3:00pm so you know you have a spot that night.

I am not a fan of Walmart overnights. I have heard a few stories of people being harassed at night in mall parking lots. I would probably do rest stops if in a bind.

Speed limit. I generally do 60 to 65MPH. Past that speed, an accident can get really bad. I usually settle a bit behind a transport truck.

Tags
cross country trip rt 80