Cross Country Trip Rt. 80 West to East and back - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2022, 09:13 AM   #21

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I highly recommend EZ-Pass, seamless tolls and payments......

Jim, the problem with tolls isn't paying them, though EZ-Pass or in my case I-Pass is the easy way to go, it's the cost. A 75 cent toll is around $3.75 with the trailer in Illinois. The toll doubles without an EZ-Pass or I-Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfan View Post
Hi Steven!
Nice of you to share your cross-country travel experience with us. Looks like there will be no getting around tolls on Interstate/Turnpike. Glad to know that the sites along I80 will be something to keep my eyes open for
Thanks again,
Mary (Disneyfan) & Rick

My pleasure to be of some assistance. As noted above by Jim/CPAHarley if you can open an account with EZ-Pass. You can do this online and they'll send you the transponder to place in your car. Just make sure that you give them both plate to you tow vehicle and the trailer
Old 06-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My pleasure to be of some assistance. As noted above by Jim/CPAHarley if you can open an account with EZ-Pass. You can do this online and they'll send you the transponder to place in your car. Just make sure that you give them both plate to you tow vehicle and the trailer

Not sure what will happen to me as there was no plate on the trailer coming home and not sure if they could see the truck plate, so "I will have to wait and see" what happens.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #23

Not sure what will happen to me as there was no plate on the trailer coming home and not sure if they could see the truck plate, so "I will have to wait and see" what happens.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:37 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
So, is EZ pass a national system?

We have some kinda EZ pass system here in California, but I’ve managed to avoid buying the transponder by staying out of the commuter lanes when appropriate, and the bridges all have cameras to get the vehicle license plate. I have the plates on all our vehicles linked to a system.

Am I going to have to finally break down and get a transponder? If anyone can supply a link to a national system I should register with to go coast to coast on 80 (mostly) I’d be grateful.

I guess I should google map the route between Chicago and New Jersey, then Pennsylvania too see what roads are toll and try to get an estimate of cost.

So far, I’m guesstimating about $1k a week, for 5.5 weeks. Mostly diesel fuel

Rick & Mary. (I’m the Rick part)
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:12 AM   #25

E‑ZPass is an electronic toll collection system used on toll roads, toll bridges and toll tunnels in the Midwestern United States, Eastern United States and Southern United States. Wikipedia

Will it work on the Golden Gate Bridge? I have no idea, perhaps someone from California can respond?
Old 06-07-2022, 08:00 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

We have some kinda EZ pass system here in California, but I’ve managed to avoid buying the transponder by staying out of the commuter lanes when appropriate, and the bridges all have cameras to get the vehicle license plate. I have the plates on all our vehicles linked to a system.

Am I going to have to finally break down and get a transponder? If anyone can supply a link to a national system I should register with to go coast to coast on 80 (mostly) I’d be grateful.

I guess I should google map the route between Chicago and New Jersey, then Pennsylvania too see what roads are toll and try to get an estimate of cost.

Illinois, at least part of Indiana, PA tollway all advertise the pay by plate option. I’ve used it in Illinois and it worked fine, you just have to create an account. No transponder needed.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:18 AM   #27

That is a lot of fuel. Perhaps for 7 days but we just returned from Chilliwack/Osoyoos and our fuel avg about $200/day. But with increases in gas price it may reach $1k/week.....
Old 06-07-2022, 08:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Illinois, at least part of Indiana, PA tollway all advertise the pay by plate option. I’ve used it in Illinois and it worked fine, you just have to create an account. No transponder needed.
Thanks, I’ll look into adding our plates to those systems.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:30 AM   #29

Trailer: 21
We just got back from a trip to the north rim Grand Canyon and Brice canyon. Spent $1200.00 on fuel. Trip was from DFW area n back.
Old 06-07-2022, 08:34 AM   #30

Quote:
That is a lot of fuel. Perhaps for 7 days but we just returned from Chilliwack/Osoyoos and our fuel avg about $200/day. But with increases in gas price it may reach $1k/week.....
Our total trip will be around 6k miles. On days we drive, 20 or so days, we’ll use a $120 tank of fuel and then some. So I’m figuring $2.5k on fuel, total. Then food and camping fees will make up the rest.

For almost a week we’ll be parked in Hazleton, PA visiting family, what area of PA are you in?
Old 06-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #31

Hazelton is about 2 hours away, it is known for it's dark skies according to local astronomers.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Yes & no. I know there is at least one bridge in Michigan that doesn't take it...
Old 06-07-2022, 01:07 PM   #33

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Hello Disneyfan,

Sounds like you're headed for a great adventure.

You might consider a day or two at Cuyahoga Valley National Park, off of I-80 in Ohio. Spending much of my life in various parts of PA, I always thought of OH as flat & boring, but this is a little gem. Though less Wow Factor here than at places like the Grand Canyon, it has something for everyone: hiking, local history, kayaking, & lovely scenery. We weren't camping during our visit here, so can't recommend a campground.

Have a safe trip!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:42 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
If your State doesn't offer E Z Pass, you can buy it from any State. Many States have annual or monthly fees E Z Pass fees. A few States do not. Those States are the best ones to buy your E Z Pass from.

Currently, Delaware appears to be the best place to get your E Z Pass.

Wikipedia E-ZPass
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:30 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
I'm not far from Hazleton...
Short drive away a very nice spot is Boulder Field in Hickory Run SP.
Highly recommended: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickory_Run_State_Park
Also, burgers farm for fresh produce is close: 371 Saint Johns Rd, Drums, PA 18222
Nice meal and setting at Sand Springs Golf Course: https://www.sandspringsgolf.com/
Padre
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:40 AM   #36

Maybe later this summer we can plan on camping there.....it about 2.5 hours from me.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:01 AM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Hazelton is about 2 hours away, it is known for it's dark skies according to local astronomers.
Interesting. We have often stopped in Hazelton overnight on the way to and from Virginia, where daughter's family lives. The lights from the motel parking lots generally drown out the sky.

If we're camping we sometimes stay overnight at Locust Lake State Park, down I81 near Frackville. One time there was an amazing starry display—but it turned out to be a neighboring camper who was projecting starlights onto the trees.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre View Post
I'm not far from Hazleton...
Short drive away a very nice spot is Boulder Field in Hickory Run SP.
Highly recommended: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hickory_Run_State_Park
Also, burgers farm for fresh produce is close: 371 Saint Johns Rd, Drums, PA 18222
Nice meal and setting at Sand Springs Golf Course: https://www.sandspringsgolf.com/
Padre
We’ll be moochdocking in the Hazleton area, Sugarloaf, or Drums. We’ll check out the farm for sure!

After Hazleton, we go to Otter lake for a family get together. Otter lake is a fall tradition, but ir seems to be getting too crowded.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #39

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Split Lane, you will only be minutes from the farm and Sand Springs. I hope you have a nice stay in NEPA, though the weather doesn't look great.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:51 AM   #40

We won’t be there until second week in October. We are just planning at this time.

Tags
cross country trip rt 80