I am lost.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2022, 06:40 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I am lost....

Can anyone tell me where I am at this rest stop off I80? It is a beautiful picture and I want to bookmark the area,,,,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0303.jpg  
Old 06-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Can anyone tell me where I am at this rest stop off I80? It is a beautiful picture and I want to bookmark the area,,,,
Too bad you didn’t get that road sign in the picture. On my phone there’s a location for each photo in the albums. I have an I phone and Verizon service.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Depending on what you used to take the photo, there may be GPS coordinates buried in the original image. Check with a viewer such as ImageExifViewer...
Old 06-19-2022, 01:31 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Depending on what you used to take the photo, there may be GPS coordinates buried in the original image. Check with a viewer such as ImageExifViewer...
+1 for exif metadata
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #5

Went back to original picture and did more investigating, like suggested. I was in Brooklyn, Iowa on my return trip from Chilliwack/Osoyoos last month. Thanks everyone for the help.....
On edit, I would like to stay, I have nothing but fond memories of Iowa, both from my college days there and trips too/from the west with my Escapes/. Iowa Dave, you have a beautiful state there.....
Old 06-19-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Re: Lost....Well, it ain't Laramie.
Attached Thumbnails
Laramie.jpg  
Old 06-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #7

Brooklyn

Quote:
Went back to original picture and did more investigating, like suggested. I was in Brooklyn, Iowa on my return trip from Chilliwack/Osoyoos last month. Thanks everyone for the help.....
On edit, I would like to stay, I have nothing but fond memories of Iowa, both from my college days there and trips too/from the west with my Escapes/. Iowa Dave, you have a beautiful state there.....
When I was young I worked in a standard oil station with my dad. It was built in the 30a I believe and it was a “cookie cutter” Standard station of the day. The previous design was more heavily of the “Art Deco” design. One of those stations still exists in Brooklyn which is about 40 miles from where we live now and only a few miles from where my dad grew up on the family farm. It’s right in the center of town.

I don’t get down there as often as I used to. One of the promotions at Brooklyn is the “city of flags” display they have there. School district consolidations in Iowa over the past 50 years have made a huge change in the vitality and viability of small towns in our state. The towns which ended up with a regional high school, the county courthouse and a tractor dealership or grain elevator on a rail line have persevered, Others, once vibrant and nearly self sufficient, have faded and have been relegated to remembering past glories.
Brooklyn is doing ok. Lots of folks there work at Kinzie Manufacturing and some drive to the Amanas to work at the refrigerator manufacturing facility. The westward migration and ability to homestead in the 1860s and later brought many people to Iowa from the east and immigrants from Europe. A number of Belgian families in the area of Brooklyn still play Rolle Bolle. If your town has a lighted Rolle Bolle court and a tavern with an annual Rocky Mountain Oyster Fry, you’re probably doing ok. Why aren’t there more Boche Ball, Rolle Bolle, Horse Shoe and croquet players in the campgrounds or at Rallies? We need a revival of outdoor games in our country.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-19-2022, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Best Iowa memory...2010.
Attached Thumbnails
Iowa3.jpg  
Old 06-19-2022, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Re: Lost....Well, it ain't Laramie.

Stayed at that Wal*mart while fleeing the Mullen Fire they had near Albany 2 years ago.
Nearly a dozen 18 wheelers and about 15 - 20 RV's. They evacuated the area where we had been staying the next morning, in the Keystone area.
HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Best Iowa memory...2010.
Gotcha beat, we were partying in the cornfields in 1967.....
Old 06-19-2022, 08:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
We were haying in the hay fields of southern Montana around Absarokee in 1962
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 None
Quote:
Gotcha beat, we were partying in the cornfields in 1967.....
Gotcha beat, We were partying in cornfields 80 to 86. Ahhh the nights under the stars. Glad there wasn't cell phones or phones with cameras. ;-)
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Brooklyn Iowa

My great grandparents are buried in Brooklyn Iowa. That's where my grandmother was born. The wife and I were in Iowa visiting her hometown and we drove out to Brooklyn to look for my grandparents burial site. I was told it's real close to a big tree there are about eight big trees at the graveyard. 25 minutes later and the rain we found the grave site.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:53 PM   #14

Cemeteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
My great grandparents are buried in Brooklyn Iowa. That's where my grandmother was born. The wife and I were in Iowa visiting her hometown and we drove out to Brooklyn to look for my grandparents burial site. I was told it's real close to a big tree there are about eight big trees at the graveyard. 25 minutes later and the rain we found the grave site.
My brother who lives in Colorado is a very avid genealogist. He was in town a few years ago doing some research and I offered to take him to the cemetery at Guernsey, Iowa, not far from Brooklyn. My paternal grandmother is buried there along with many other relatives who homesteader in that area. They came from Guernsey county Ohio. He took about 60 photos of the memorials there and learned a lot that day.

My dad went to high school in Victor. I am lucky to have two brothers with widely varying interests and educations. My contribution always seems to revolve around the fact that I’ve covered a lot of ground d over the years and can remember where I’ve been and why I was there. I have managed centuries in several cities. It’s a grounds maintenance challenge as well as a complicated job to work with family at times. Grief makes things hard.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-20-2022, 09:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Too bad you didn’t get that road sign in the picture. On my phone there’s a location for each photo in the albums. I have an I phone and Verizon service.
Iowa Dave
it just says I80 east-> west <- ... least I think its I80
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 09:36 PM   #16

And that does cover some country.

I mentioned finding a location on a phone picture to
my son yesterday when he stopped by . He rattled off a couple different programs and said they work well to locate photos. I told him it wasn’t for me. On the meanwhile I think Jim figured it out.

When the railroads came through Iowa they named a lot of towns that sprung up along the route for either railroad executives or in our area, foreign counties or cities.
Just in our area we have Mount Vernon, Lisbon, Norway, Luzurne, Brooklyn, Chelsea and on and on.

Trees were a much appreciated landmark and feature of the transitioning tall grass to short grass prairie biomes and thus about 25 towns in Iowa have tree related names including. Salix Iowa. Named in Latin for the genus of the willows that grew along a nearby waterway. Native Americans chewed the bark and cambium layers of willows to cure headaches. Later we made aspirin for that malady. Aspirin, of course, contains salicylic acid. The same as the willow bark.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:55 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if you use an android cell phone camera, and google photos to store your pics, the album owner can click the (I) icon (info) on any picture in the album and get a map of where it was taken, UNLESS you disabled photo locations.

example, from last night, when my brother was sitting in on guitar with Mitch Woods and his Rocket 88s at a yacht club...
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:05 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
it just says I80 east-> west <- ... least I think its I80
Hi: John in Santa Cruz... Travelling at the speed of sound I'm surprised the pic is even in focus!!! Alf
escape artist N.S, of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
And that does cover some country.

I mentioned finding a location on a phone picture to
my son yesterday when he stopped by . He rattled off a couple different programs and said they work well to locate photos. I told him it wasn’t for me. On the meanwhile I think Jim figured it out.

When the railroads came through Iowa they named a lot of towns that sprung up along the route for either railroad executives or in our area, foreign counties or cities.
Just in our area we have Mount Vernon, Lisbon, Norway, Luzurne, Brooklyn, Chelsea and on and on.

Trees were a much appreciated landmark and feature of the transitioning tall grass to short grass prairie biomes and thus about 25 towns in Iowa have tree related names including. Salix Iowa. Named in Latin for the genus of the willows that grew along a nearby waterway. Native Americans chewed the bark and cambium layers of willows to cure headaches. Later we made aspirin for that malady. Aspirin, of course, contains salicylic acid. The same as the willow bark.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Chew 2 pieces of willow bark... and call me in the morning!!! Has a nice ring to it. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote