Escape travel with older cat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2023, 10:31 AM   #1

Trailer: Happier Camper 2017/Escape 21NE 2022
Escape travel with older cat

I have had this discussion on some more general RV FB pages, but I am wondering if anyone with a Escape 21 has travelled with a cat (in particular, an older cat)? My younger cat just died unexpectedly, and I feel very uncomfortable about leaving my 17-year-old cat home by herself (obviously with a cat sitter). She historically does not like car travel (usually only to the vet), but I think I can get some medical help with that. My question has to do with how people have modified their Escape to accommodate a cat, and whether the space is large enough for a single cat who mostly sleeps? I am a solo traveler, so the space is pretty open. Also, do you leave the AC running during the summer while out hiking, etc.? I don't think this is a great option but probably better than leaving her with strangers as she is extremely attached to me. I'm not sure I could tolerate her dying while I was away (which is just what occurred with my younger cat while I was in Kauai). Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks- Dusty
dustylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
sorry to hear about the loss of your cat. I can't help directly with your inquiry but here are some older threads that may help. The google search on the toolbar is helpful in this regard. These may give you some ideas as well as introduce you to some of the forum members traveling with cats.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ats-15904.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...cat-20804.html
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...cats-6782.html
Old 01-18-2023, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Hi Dusty,
I don't have a recommendation but wanted to share that I'm going through the same thought process caring for my 17-year cat. Historically he hasn't liked to travel in a car but he also doesn't like to be, nor should be, left alone for more than 2 days. I often wonder how he would react to camping. My biggest fear is that I'd take him and he bolt off and get lost.
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I was concerned about this, two cats that want nothing to do with a car. After a bit of freakout they calmed down and travel on the bed no problem.
Samuel from Escape was very helpful with my planning for a spot for a litter box. I installed a pet door right under a bench seat to lead to the box, then added an access hatch on the outside-available option. A bottom cabinet door was removed so they have access to food whenever they want.
Look up David Murphy on here, his cats look very happy.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We've traveled with as many as four cats, so one cat and one person in a 21 should be no problem as far as space. We have a 5.0, so folks with 21's could better advise you on potential litter box locations in your trailer.

Years ago we started out with one cat and she rode in the truck and hated it. When we switched to letting her ride in the trailer she was much happier, we keep cozy cat beds or soft cottages (one for each cat) in the bedroom where they ride. And while they don't like the driving part, after a day or two of adjustment to being in the trailer they do seem to enjoy being camped and having new sights, sounds and smells out the windows. They really like sitting on the dinette table and on the flip-up counter extensions we have on both sides, gives them a way to perch and look out all those windows.

We go away hiking all day at times and just leave windows and the MaxxFan open to allow some ventilation for them as the weather dictates (we have the awning style frameless windows so don't have to worry about a rain storm coming up while we're away. We rarely camp in places where we need A/C during the day, but cats are originally desert creatures who like and can tolerate warm weather. We did have an older cat who had a hard time when indoor temps got above 85 or so but otherwise did fine. In extreme hot weather you could leave the AC on while you're away, but otherwise I would expect your kitty to do fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Table 08.jpg   View 17.jpg   View 03.jpg   View 24.jpg  
Old 01-18-2023, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17b
Thank you, dustylee, for posting your questions about traveling with a cat. And thank you Rubicon for posting the 3 previous threads. They are very helpful. We currently have a small Aliner, but in March will pick up our new 17B. With this new larger trailer we are contemplating taking our 1 1/2 year old active indoor-only cat camping with us. We hope to keep “Jackie” ignorant of the outdoors and not lose her. We have a great neighbor cat sitter, but being an only cat Jackie is lonely when we are out camping. When we actually retrieve our new trailer we will be able to figure out the litterbox location and other related cat items. There are many helpful ideas in these forum threads. Thank you!
stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 03:33 PM   #7
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
When we had a 19 we put the litter box under the bed. Now that we have a 21C, the only logical place (for us) is still under the bed. What I did was removed one of the cabinet doors under the bed. I then took the door to Home Depot and purchased a short sheet of plywood from Home Depot (the 2ft precut pieces). Because I do not have a table saw, I had them cut it to the same size as the cabinet door. I have a circular saw and could have done a decent job with it, but why when they will cut it for you. Just verify the size of the cut piece before you leave the store.

Once home, I cut a hole in the middle just large enough for the cat to get through using my jig saw. Then I attached the hinges from the old cabinet door and mounted the new "cat cabinet door". The nice thing is that it fit, worked fine, and we didn't have to look at the cat box. You can finish/paint the new door to your liking.

A small strip or two of velcro on the bottom of the box and trailer floor will help keep the box in place. Just don't use too much because you still need to remove it to clean it.

During trips the box would slide around just a bit, but once I used a bit of velcro it seldom moved. Once arriving at camp, I would look under the bed to ensure the cat box was okay, then we were always good to go.

I have read some other posts where people put the box in the bathroom and then remove it when people need the bathroom, and some people use covered boxes. There might be enough room at the foot of the bed for a small box.

We never had a problem accommodating our cat and once we were at a location she seemed to like being in the trailer a lot!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 04:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We travel with a middle aged cat (9 years) in our E19. Covered litter box is on the driver's side under the table, aft tableleg is wrapped is sissle. She travels in the jeep with us and transits between the jeep and escape in a cat carrier. Gordita is an adventure cat and roams every campsite we visit. She never ranges further than 50 ft from the trailer and she is never left unattended when outside the trailer. She has been trained (or trained me) to come to a whistle, then she gets a treat.
Old 01-18-2023, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Adventure cat

Pictures of Gordita the adventure cat
Attached Thumbnails
20221119_090410.jpg   FB_IMG_1661433781276.jpg   20210408_193047a.jpg  
Old 02-03-2023, 09:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I watched a YouTube a few months ago about a couple from Vancouver Island who traveled south with their two cats in a Class A motorhome. The one cat a stray got lose on 2 occasions each for about 3 months, yes 3 months, found both times. The second time involved many trail cams and many trips back to the campground.

If we took our cat it would always wear a harness with and AirTag or some tracker.

I can't remember the YouTube channel, or I would post the link, it was actually a funny video tracking the cat.