Is this a stupid question? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-
Is this a stupid question?

Being that I've never owned or camped in a trailer I'm uncertain as to what the driveway length refers to when I'm booking campsites. Is it the total length of both vehicles combined? Or is it just the trailer length? So if I have my 19' plus my 4Runner do I need a 40' spot or a 20' spot?

I'm trying to book another campite for feb right now!
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Just your trailer. You are 19' bumper to hitch, with no slides.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Depends. Doncha hate that? In Oregon, in our State Parks when they talk about length.. they mean that. From rear bumper of the trailer to the front bumber of the tug. Yes, there may be other places to park the tug after you unhook... like around the corner of the loop...

BUT, you'll figure out the rear height of your trailer at it's lowest point and some sites... you can bump the trailer tires (against the curb) and hang the rear of the trailer over the curb which allows both tug and tow to fit into the site.

Does this make sense?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikcampbell View Post
Being that I've never owned or camped in a trailer I'm uncertain as to what the driveway length refers to when I'm booking campsites. Is it the total length of both vehicles combined? Or is it just the trailer length? So if I have my 19' plus my 4Runner do I need a 40' spot or a 20' spot?

I'm trying to book another campite for feb right now!
It's a good question. My 2005 4Runner and 19' with the spare tire is slightly less then 38' feet. When getting reservations I simply say I am 20 and 20 .. Easy to remember. Most sites I stay at consider me a 40 as we either back in or pull through. Occasionally (rare) the vehicle parks side by side ... But that would mean you back in and your vehicle may be blocking traffic trying to pass.

Our 2014 19' is a few inches past 19' plus the spare. 20...
If it costs more for a 20 call it a 19...

At a recent park it had many 18' limit trailer sites, I called our 19 an 18 and made the reservations. I called the next day and told the person, she laughed and said 'it better not be a 25'...

Some Canadian ferries measure by the foot and round to 2. Knowing we are 38 shy saves money. Our Washington ferries cut off at under 40 so that's easy.

Hope that helps! Read the instructions and do the best you can.

PS. Irma said the Coho ferry measured by the foot, on our trips with 3 ferries we could put the bikes and bike rack in the trailer and save $60 Canadian round trip. Moral of the story, know exactly how long it is when it's to your advantage ... act confused all other times?!
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Wow I thought most camp sites were measuring just the trailer
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 02:03 AM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only places I've noticed that regularly mean the total rig length are National Parks. When reserving online at Yellowstone I needed to get a 35' or longer site, which is fairly rare at the old parks.

The reality may be different when you get there though. I saw folks parking 60' rigs in 40' spots. Many times folks can only fit the trailer int he spot, then jam in the TV however they can. Seems the total length rule is unknown or ignored by many, but that is what they mean at Reserve.gov.

I use Google Map on Earth view to look over the sites as well as Campsite Photos, Camping Pictures, and Campground Reviews - campsitephotos.com and sometimes the little images on the reservations sites to look over the sites before I reserve. Sometimes it helps ID length and width, usually just what's around your site, close neighbors, dumpsters, and such.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
KOA wants the trailer length when I make the reservation, but they want the total when I check in. Only mattered one time when I ended up in a pop-up site and had to unhook to get out of the road.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always round down with KOA, have never had any issues for past 8 years.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I wrote reserve.gov in my post above, meant recreation.gov. Mixed it up with reserveamerica.