Travel medical insurance - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2023, 09:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 E19
Travel medical insurance

Ran a search and found nothing. What are folks doing about traveler's medical insurance when traveling from US and vacationing in Canada? We have the travel insurance covered, but not medical as Medicare will not pay unless traveling directly thru to Alaska. Thanks much.
Chewuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewuch View Post
Ran a search and found nothing. What are folks doing about traveler's medical insurance when traveling from US and vacationing in Canada? We have the travel insurance covered, but not medical as Medicare will not pay unless traveling directly thru to Alaska. Thanks much.
Doesn’t your travel insurance policy offer medical coverage? For me that’s half the point of getting travel insurance. We use these guys, but admittedly it’s always been for Europe trips… They totally picked up the tab when I was hospitalized in London once. You pay the hospital on the spot, they make it right later. They do have Canada as a selection too. http://https://www.travelinsured.com/lp/ppc/travel-insurance/?msclkid=cd2fbbbfe3801edf6d6edfa34f3fdfbc&utm_sour ce=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_term =travel%20insured&utm_content=TII%20Terms
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 E19
Near as I can tell, unless we are traveling straight thru to Alaska, and can prove it, for Medicare to cover us we need to stay very close to the border. Looks like travel insurance, medically any way, is mostly to evacuate you back into the U.S. as quickly as possible. There are long-term medical companies if you are working or schooling up there, but haven't seen anything for acute medical care. ??
Chewuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Near as I can tell, unless we are traveling straight thru to Alaska, and can prove it, for Medicare to cover us we need to stay very close to the border.
Easiest way to prove it is to have reservations made, camping and any tours too.

When I needed travel insurance when I took the big trip in 2018, I called my Medicare Part B Plan and had it added. For 90 days it cost me about $100. That covered me in Canada, coast-to-coast. IMHO Cheap for peace of mind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
..... There are long-term medical companies if you are working or schooling up there, but haven't seen anything for acute medical care. ??
First of many hits when I google "medical travel insurance for seniors": Forbes Advisor: Best Senior Travel Insurance Of March 2023, and there are others.

You may also find some coverage through some Medicare Advantage plans, this clipped from the current Evidence of Coverage book for mine:
Our plan covers worldwide emergency and urgently needed services outside the United States under the following circumstances: emergency services, including emergency or urgently needed care and emergency ambulance transportation from the scene of an emergency to the nearest medical treatment facility. Transportation back to the United States from another country is not covered. Pre-scheduled, pre-planned treatments (including dialysis for an ongoing condition) and/or elective procedures are not covered.

That, in conjunction with a medical repatriation policy / membership such as Medjet, may provide reasonable protection for the unexpected.

I maintained a Medjet membership when I was regularly traveling away from home, alone in my Casita, for a ~ten year period. For me the concern is the genuine medical emergency and getting home as quickly as possible, I don't want to risk being incapacitated away from my home support network of family, friends, and familiar providers/facilities even if the distant care itself is good.

Medjet provides specialized transport with medical support, from a 'distant' hospital to a 'home' hospital, as soon as one is able to be repatriated with that high-level of care during transit. They offer both short-term and annual memberships. Fortunately I never had need for the service, so can't offer first-hand experience about MedJet's 'claims response'.

Everyone's risk-factors and risk-tolerance varies, sometimes several different components may be required to address that when on the road, even out of country, but IMO it's likely those needs / wants can be met in the marketplace.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Near as I can tell, unless we are traveling straight thru to Alaska, and can prove it, for Medicare to cover us we need to stay very close to the border. Looks like travel insurance, medically any way, is mostly to evacuate you back into the U.S. as quickly as possible. There are long-term medical companies if you are working or schooling up there, but haven't seen anything for acute medical care. ??
"Travel Insured", the company I linked to above, will reimburse emergency medical expenses racked up on your foreign trip and/or repatriate you, all within reasonable guidelines and limits. As I said in my example they reimbursed us for an unexpected hospital stay I had while in England. You can pay up to have more medical coverage and I think you can also opt for a medical-only package. It's the travel insurance company that USAA affiliates with.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote