Trip ideas for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2023, 06:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 21'
Trip ideas for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland

Does anyone have trip itineraries or favorite spots for this area? We are new to the area and looking for ideas. Places to camp, visit, bike, or hike are especially appreciated. TIA.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:57 PM   #2

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Does anyone have trip itineraries or favorite spots for this area? We are new to the area and looking for ideas. Places to camp, visit, bike, or hike are especially appreciated. TIA.
We just finished planning our trip to Newfoundland. Will arrive there on June 2nd and depart on June 30th. I can give you the lowdown if you PM me. I'll be happy to send you a copy of our itinerary via a PDF or Word Doc.

I'd need to give a shout out to John Kliewer. He and his wife went to Newfoundland last June. He sent me his itinerary. His became the foundation for ours. Then I tortured him with over 30 emails as well. In total we will put over 2,200 miles on the vehicle exploring/camping in NF.

I decided to concentrate on Newfoundland. The next trip will focus on the Maritimes. However, we will spend one day in St. John, NB observing the Reversing Falls. Then we will drive to North Sydney, NS where the Marine Atlantic Ferry is.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The drive up around the "top" of Nova Scotia is beautiful. Leave your trailer where you're camping if you can for that--it's not dangerous, you'll just enjoy it more and can stop and look at the ocean more easily. I found an unexpected jewel--the Alexander Graham Bell Historic Site in Baddeck. It's a small "museum" with a beautiful garden out front. Bay of Fundy tides are pretty spectacular but you'll need to time it. PEI also wonderful...if you're going in summer be sure to reserve. I went second week of Sept and it was lovely and uncrowded. Lots of Anne of Green Gables places to visit/history of the books. You probably already know that you don't have to pay to get ONTO PEI but you do have to pay to get off. I rode the ferry free (for the fun of it) and drove the highway/bridge back--that way is less expensive.

I camped near the ferry at Harbor Light Campground. Beautiful location, very nice folks running the place. PEI has a lot of spots, i would guess all good....just as above, reserve if you're going during crowded time. I camped at a national or provincial park before Bay of Fundy, it was lovely. I can't remember the name.

Edited to add that in the small town of Pictou there's a shop called Mrs. McGregor's Shortbread. There are some amazing flavors. I spent way tooo much money there and some of the packages I brought for my family for souvenirs mysteriously disappeared. Expensive, and unforgettable. I believe there's also a a Grohman knife shop and outlet there as well....excellent craftsmanship.

You're in for a lovely treat.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
There is an amazing first cone first serve campground at the tip of Cape Breton called Meat Cove. The beach has an spectacular black basalt cliff over it. One of my favorite places on earth.

PEI has a great wool shop in the capitol.

We are headed up that way in June. Stopping at the Bsy of Fundy.

We aren’t going to Newfoundland this year as we will be making our way across to Banff and then to Portland to see the new granddaughter. But next year I think we will.

I want to see the great park Grose Morne
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
After the Rally in Osoyoos in May, we’re leaving for Newfoundland as well. We’re booked on the ferry to NFLD at the beginning of July and returning to tour Nova Scotia towards the end of July & eventually, home to BC. We’re just starting to plan our time there and would appreciate any tips.
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by land’SCAPE View Post
After the Rally in Osoyoos in May, we’re leaving for Newfoundland as well. We’re booked on the ferry to NFLD at the beginning of July and returning to tour Nova Scotia towards the end of July & eventually, home to BC. We’re just starting to plan our time there and would appreciate any tips.
Hi: land'SCAPE... I hope your arr. in NFLD is better than ours. Hint... Don't leave your fridge on battery& ,plugged to your tug, for the 14 hr. ferry ride from N. Sydney N.S. to Argentia NFLD.
I would recommend staying in Pippy Pk. in St. Johns. We didn't and wished we did!!!http://www.pippypark.com Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050008.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 07:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
You will find lots of suggestions by searching this forum for the provinces, and the other suggestions in your thread are good. We live near Ottawa Canada, and took the kids to the east coast most summers, either hoteling or tent camping. There are lots more places on my bucket list, but here's some highlights over our past travels in no particular order.

New Brunswick
The St John River valley is scenic.
Reversing falls in St John
Hopewell rocks
Fundy National Park
Bird sanctuary in Sackville
Ganong chocolate factory in St Stephen

PEI
Anne of green gables area
Lunch at the Blue Mussel in North Rustico
Red Point Provincial Park, Souris. A less busy area with "singing sands"
Just driving along the scenic byways with the red dirt, endless dark green fields of potatoes, and blue blue sea and sky.
Walking around historic Charlottetowne

Nova Scotia
Joggins fossil cliffs
Historic Halifax
Peggy's Cove. touristy, Swissair flight 111 memorial
Alexander Graham Bell museum, Sackville
Skyline walking trail Cape Breton highlands
Meat Cove mentioned above is very neat. Steep badly maintained roads, but a very interesting history (think Hatfield-McCoys) and beautiful views. My wife still wears her Meat Cove hoodie.

Newfoundland
Downtown St John's and Signal Hill. Steep hills!
Twillingate area is very scenic.
Gros Morne is on our bucket list.
Note that the province is deceptively big. It takes a long time to drive places. But the views are beautiful.

Some travelling notes
Port Burwell Provincial Park Ontario is quiet and on the enormous beach of Lake Erie. For a more touristy beach day, go to Port Stanley which is near by

Check out the site of the Niagara Wine Escape (Riverside Park Motel and Campgound) if you want to explore Niagara Falls area. https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...3-a-24353.html

Driving through Toronto is a nightmare. Prepare for it and be relaxed and you will be OK. You might consider crossing at Niagara and exploring Sodus, Oswego and the finger lakes areas.
If you want to explore Toronto, suggest camping at Darlington Provincial Park, and driving a few miles to the Go Train and heading downtown from there. Toronto downtown is a great city to explore. St Lawrence market, Center Island, Queen St West, Ontario Gallery of Art, Royal Ontario museum, CN Tower, Blue Jays baseball

The 401 is the main (I-style) highway through southern Ontario. Once you get past Toronto, highway 2 offers more interesting driving through apple orchards, beside Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence River, all the way to Quebec. If you like, Highway 2 becomes highway 338 in Quebec, offering the same scenic drives. Take highway A30 to get around Montreal from the south, or A40 through Montreal.

Take A40 to Quebec City on the north side of the St Lawrence River or A20 on the south side. A40 is more scrub brushy and hilly, and A20 is pastoral and flat flat flat. Or if you like take A15 to the Sherbrooke area – Lake Magog, Compton, Orford are gorgeous, hilly, green areas with lots of camping. If you do that, you can cross into Maine at Coburn Gore for a very scenic drive through Maine to Calais, and then to St Stephen.

[Both Montreal and Quebec City are interesting cities to explore. Like any big city, the historic downtown cores are more interesting than the suburbs. Quebec City is more historic and interesting IMHO, but both are worthwhile.]

If it was me, I would definitely drive the much more scenic north shore from Quebec City to the ferry at St Simeon, then cross the river to Riviere-de-loupe. Drive into a meteor crater at St Paul. The A20 continues on the south shore from Quebec City and it is more scenic flat flat flat farmland. Both routes are attractive.

Please PM me if you would like more information. I haven't brought my new-to-me trailer east before, but it is on the list for Aug-Sep this year after it gets a bit quieter.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
Hey, don't forget New Brunswick! You need to drive through it to get to the rest of Atlantic Canada and there is lots of stuff to see and do!

Fundy National Park and Kouchibouguac National Park are both fantastic and if you like fresh seafood you'll be able to buy direct from fisherman off any number of wharves.
I highly recommend the Fundy Trail Parkway. You will not see more spectacular scenery anywhere in Atlantic Canada. Trust me - do NOT drive through New Brunswick without driving/hiking/biking the Fundy Trail!

https://fundytrailparkway.com

If you enter New Brunswick from Maine you're about an hour from my favourite campground (Sunset View) that was just picked by Campspot as one of its top 5 campgrounds.
It's small but I guarantee you'll love it. Easy to get to, impeccably maintained and in a gorgeous setting. A great place to spend a night or two on your way through.
If you're entering New Brunswick via Quebec you'll be about 2 hours to the campground.

20 minutes from the campground is Kings Landing Historical Settlement. A must see. 20 minutes from Kings Landing and you're at Mactaquac Provincial Park. Wonderful camping and a super nice golf course.

Lots more in New Brunswick!

https://www.sunsetviewcampground.ca
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:05 AM   #9

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
We stayed at Ovens Park in Nova Scotia last August. Beautiful spot with camping sites on the Atlantic with ocean caves to see (ovens). We are huge Harry Chapin fans (Cats in the Cradle) and attended the family concert there. Cute restaurant with good food and music every evening at the campground. Close to Lunenburg and Oak Island, although that is closed off. We could only look at it from across the water.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 10:15 AM   #10

While I’m not the OP, thanks to ericw for asking about this! Thanks to you all for your terrific & very detailed responses. We’ll record them & try to see how many we can incorporate into our journey. Thanks to escape artist for his reminder to unplug the 7 pin on the 16 hour ferry voyage to Argentina NFLD. Your pic exuded pain! I would’ve done that for sure. Like the BC Ferries I imagine they also require you to shut off your propane before entering, so a reminder to also consider what’s in our fridge before the voyage. We’re fairly regularly on the BC Ferries out here but it’s only 11/2 hrs and you can go to your vehicle if you’ve forgotten something. Hope to run in to a few of you in Osoyoos, or along the way this summer.
Old 04-05-2023, 11:51 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Site# 166 at Osoyoos, we will be there, stop in and say hello.....
Old 04-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #12

Will do CPAHarley.

Richard site #70 😎
Old 04-05-2023, 08:06 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Whale of a Time Campround

We stayed at Whale of a Time campground in Freeport, NS while doing our whale watching tour. https://www.facebook.com/WhaleofaTimeCamping

One of the best campsites we have ever had. We were there mid June so before any crowds. Great people that own it too.

Was fun coming back into the dock on the whale watching boat and people were commenting on that lone trailer and what a great spot it was as we sailed past.

They said that in the fall when the whales are fat and happy they come in closer to shore and on calm evenings you can hear them as they surface to breathe.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190626_170819399.jpg  
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 09:38 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
CU on the Rock !

Many good tips and suggestions above. We toured Cape Breton Island in 2020. Very scenic, enjoyed Cabot Trail.

We are also planning a return to Newfoundland this spring. We were there for 15 days last August and didn’t see enough, even though we moved almost every day and covered all “must see” sights. This trip we plan to stay a 3 or 4 days in each area in order to explore, hike etc. We have not finalized our itinerary yet as the provincial park reservations don’t open until April 26th. We plan to do some boondocking, it’s very popular there.

For boondocking we have the Escape 190 W panel, two 6V batteries, plus added one 110 Ahr 12 V battery. All the battery wires (including a ground lead) upgraded to #4 ga. And run right up to the trailer connector, the batteries will accept 25 amps from the truck if they are down. We also carry a Honda EU 2000 generator.

Propane refills can be hard to find so we intend to bring an extra 20 Lb bottle with us, and have all tanks full before leaving Nova Scotia.

We have an afternoon crossing (6.5 hrs) booked June 21st, returning July 7th. Sydney to Port Aux Basque, with a dog friendly cabin. Otherwise he would have to be in a crate.

The people are wonderful, the fish and seafood amazing. I’m going to try and get some fishing in this trip. A non resident trout license is only $12.

Hope to see some Escapees along the way, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 11:12 AM   #15

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
We have traveled PEI and all of Nova Scotia, but pre camper but worth the trip for sure. We have just planned out a trip to do the Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec in June. If you head this way let us know, we also have a 5.0 Escape fifth wheel and live 200 yards from the border you will be crossing into New Brunswick. Certainly check out the Fortress Louisburg on Cape Breton.
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 11:58 PM   #16

Hi Michael.Chadwick. We plan to go around the Gaspe from Quebec City sometime beginning around the 3rd week of June. We’ll pm you closer to the time & maybe see you in the area.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 AM   #17

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
We are set for our first night in Miramichi on June 10th and spending a week to 10 days doing the east to west loop with multiple nights in Perce and Gaspe. Not sure when we get to St Flavie if we will go back to Campbellton, NB and head home or continue on through Quebec into upstate NY then home through. Vermont and New Hampshire….still in the planning stages……..have a great trip and enjoy
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote