17b Storage box- what do you put in it? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2022, 07:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFcamping View Post
Separate pads(3).

I just supplied the summary. There were two weightings with the first being the three axles of the tow vehicle with trailer connected. I then disconnect the trailer leaving it in a parking spot weighing only the TV's two axles. Here are the numbers

Steer Axle 2520 lbs
Drive Axle 3060 lbs
Trailer Axle 2760 lbs
Gross 8340 lbs

Steer Axle 2720 lbs
Drive Axle 2400 lbs
Gross 5120 lbs

#1 Gross - #2 Gross = Trailer Gross
8340 - 5120 = 3220

Trailer Gross - Trailer Axle = Tongue
3220 - 2760 = 460

Thanks

Sure hope my ETI shipping value is not that low compared to actual or I will have a bit of a problem...............
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 E17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Thanks

Sure hope my ETI shipping value is not that low compared to actual or I will have a bit of a problem...............
I never did weight every little item in the trailer so I can't say the exact number but my best guess is it weighs about 150 lbs more that what they stated. I was more surprised at the ratio because I thought I already had the bulk of the stuff I was carrying over the trailer axle. My fresh water is stored behind the axle so maybe it is that way because filling that tank will lighten the tongue. I try to fill my tank at the site or near it - I don't like the idea of all that movable mass sloshing around in a plastic tank held in place with a couple of straps.
SFcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The ridgeline does have that nice "trunk" under the bed. But if you put camping stuff there, you'll have to either leave it there when you're not camping, or take it in and out every time.

In my 17A front box: power cord. 3' hose w splitter. "lego" type levelers. andersen leveler. bed risers for under stabilizers. stabilizer crank. small propane tank for propane fire ring. bag with table cloth and a couple small old towels. the two "tennis ball" topped magnet wands for hitching. pair of gardening gloves to use while hitching. a 4x6 block of wood for under tongue. marshmallow forks.

I was unsure about getting the box, but "everyone" said I would regret it if I didn't get it. I am very glad that I listened to that advice.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2012 E19
I've had trailers with the side hatches, and it wasn't fun bending over and grubbing around in that hatch area for what I wanted. A top-opening box will be a pleasure to use, comparatively.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:35 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always drill some drain holes in the storage boxes bottoms, if not already there. To allow any leaks to escape....
Old 02-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I was unsure about getting the box, but "everyone" said I would regret it if I didn't get it. I am very glad that I listened to that advice.
I haven't regretted it but may end up adding a box of some kind. I still don't like the looks of the Escape box. If I had one it would be packed full of stuff and I would still be hunting around for what I wanted. But I utilize the truck bed a lot which would require either a tonneau cover or some other storage on a trip where I might leave the truck in a less-safe spot. (Not that most of that stuff would fit in the box anyway- mostly it is things I would not bring traveling as opposed to camping.)

I usually keep charcoal in the Ridgeline trunk (stays dry), same for Dutch oven stuff. I do take it out in non-camping or non-charcoal season as I like to use that space for groceries.
Bobbie54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 04:55 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We had a 17B without the storage box, now that we have a 19 with the storage box, I wouldn't go without it. You always want more storage than you think you need.
Old 02-09-2022, 06:41 AM   #28

Trailer: 2022 E19
How is the storage box mounted? Just to the frame or is it also riveted to the trailer?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:28 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
How is the storage box mounted? Just to the frame or is it also riveted to the trailer?
Just bolted to the frame, not part of trailer.....