2021 Escape 5.0 Build - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
2021 Escape 5.0 Build

On Friday, we made the deposit for 2021 Escape 5.0 with target delivery in May 2021. There is, obviously, plenty of time to finalize the build and we will take that time. With the excitement of it becoming closer to reality - we constructed an initial build sheet. It reflects our preferences combined with what I have learned reading this forum. So, thanks for all your insights on my "Newbie" thread and elsewhere on the forum.

We will revise it as we learn more. A big part of that is the advice from the highly experienced members here. So, please do share your thoughts and advice. Obviously, some choices reflect our lifestyle - (e.g. we don't watch TV, use oven and microwave much at our home) and they are not going to change. But, we definitely seek advice on how to outfit it properly. We obviously want to be sensible about our spend but are not constrained regarding it in our decisions. With that - here it goes:

Options - Included
  • Two-way Hot Water Tank (Propane & 120V)
  • Toilet Shut Off Valve (for winterization)
  • Exterior Shower (Driver and/or Passenger Side) - Passenger
  • Lithium Ion Battery (single unit)
  • Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets) Note: Option requires battery selection
  • 190W Solar Panel with Charge Controller
  • Additional 190W Solar Panel
  • Zamp Solar Port wired to Regulator Note: Only if Solar Panel selected regulators only)
  • Electrical Management System with Surge Protector
  • Removable Power Cord
  • LED Awning Light Strip
  • Upgraded Air Conditioner with Bluetooth compatibility (Coleman Mach 10 13,500 BTU). Need more info. The Air Conditioner with Digital Thermostat (Dometic 11,000 BTU) is also a possibility.
  • Heat Strip for Air Conditioner
  • Number Pad Door Lock (includes key)
  • Wireless Back-Up Camera (display monitor wired with 12V plug)
  • Tank Level Monitoring System (SeeLevel II)
  • Frameless Windows (including split-opening rear window)
  • Window in Bathroom (opening, frameless)
  • Body Lift Kit (required if truck side wall height exceeds 56")
  • Double Step Entry Step (replaces standard single step)
  • Exterior Access Hatch (rear passenger side)
  • Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (low pressure)
  • Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer (without Heat Pads)
  • Convert Bench Seat to U-Shaped Dinette
  • Stainless Steel Backsplash in Kitchen
  • Lagun Adjustable Swiveling Table Mount
  • Exterior 12V/USB Outlet (passenger side, under rear clearance light)
  • Additional Exterior LED Light (centered at rear of trailer, located above belly band)
  • Counter Extension
  • Standard Flooring
  • Standard Formica
  • Reinforced Walls - Qty 2
  • Retractable Wall Hooks (3 hooks per set) - Qty 2
  • Additional LED Captains Reading Lamp - Qty 4 - Sufficient? Thinking - 2x next to bed; 2x next to the dining table.
  • Additional 12V/USB Interior Outlet - Qty 6 - Sufficient? My wife wonders if we have too many; I wonder if we have too few. We have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 laptops, 2 rechargeable headlamps, 2 bike computers/radars, 2 bike rear-sensors, 2 rechargeable bike lights and they all need a charge). Also, I am a bit confused about the 12V vs 120v. Not sure what 12V outlets charge?
  • Contemporary interior look.Not an option per se but heard Karl mention that it might be on offer in 2021. Interested.
  • Filled Propane Tanks
  • Water Hose
  • Water Pressure Regulator
  • X - Chocks
  • Leveling Blocks (Set of 10)
  • Sewer Tube Kit (includes adapter)
  • Additional sewer tube holder (for storage purposes)
  • Sand Pads (set of 2)
  • Step Cover
  • Vented Trailer Cover
The big items are clear. The small stuff - number of outlets, hooks, LED lights, etc. is just a shot in the dark.

Customization requests to Escape:
  • Additional LI battery options
  • Battery monitor (e.g. Victron)
  • Compressor fridge

Options - Undecided:
  • Dual 6V Lead-Acid Batteries - Might revisit based upon the LI battery discussion
  • Power Awning (Dometic 9500E) -Unclear. We expect to spend most time hiking, biking or sightseeing rather than sitting under the awning in the campground.
  • Aluminum Rim Package (Includes 5 tires and rims) - New option. Does this offer anything other than a shiny look?
  • Additional Shelves in Wardrobe Closet - We do not have good visualization of the space.Not sure what's standard. Could use advice here.
  • Full Height Cabinet (located right of Entry Door) - Again, unclear. Saw posts where people were using this area for the shoes. That sounds good, s does the full height cabinet.
  • Shelves in Full Height Cabinet - Obviously related to the above.
  • Full Wrap on Cushions (Standard fabric) - Is the a good idea?
  • Additional Shelves in Wardrobe Closet - Would you recommend? How many?

Options - Excluded:
  • Oven with 3 Burner Cooktop (includes bi-fold stove cover and black rangehood)
  • Flush Mount Oven
  • Microwave (built into cabinet)
  • Convection Microwave Oven
  • Foot Flush Toilet
  • Composting Toilet
  • Stereo with Four Speakers (Bluetooth/FM/AM/CD/DVD/USB)
  • TV/Cable Ready with 120V Outlet (does not include TV)
  • TV Antenna (includes TV Ready with 120V) (Does not include TV)
  • Spray Foam Insulation for Under Trailer with 2 x 12V Heat Pads
  • Customer Provided Custom Flooring (13'l x 12'w)
  • Custom Formica
  • Custom Fabric (Price for single fabric)
  • Full Wrap on Cushions (Custom fabric)
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
12V outlets are the round 'accessory sockets' like in many cars; IMO ideal for plugging-in one of many available single or dual USB charging port adaptors (for more ports at that location or higher-amp ports). I've not asked ETI the current rating on their USB charging ports - some USB charging ports offer higher output current than others, some devices like the higher output current for faster charging.

Full wrap cushions are attractive to me as presumably that would allow one to 'flip' the cushion IF there's an unfortunate occurrence that stains one side.

I'm inclined to go with the rear-cam pre-wire-only (which leaves a pigtail for power inside the rear upper cabinet but no holes to pass-thru the body and of course no cam) just because there seems to be other somewhat more attractive cams in that quickly evolving and competitive market arena (I'll look at a DIY install after the trailer arrives).

I'm inclined to forego all shelves in the storage / wardrobe, including the default shelf which can be deleted on request, preferring instead to have wide open space for DIY installation of shelves, drawers, wire racks, etc. that suit my specific tastes / needs. There's so very many inspirational ideas along those lines on this forum - almost all which look more functional than the default fixed-shelves (the 'default standard' is a single fixed-shelf ~midway-up in the storage next to the 'fridge).

All YMMV of course, just for your consideration.

Congrats on the build-slot and have fun!
Old 08-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #3

Thanks a lot, Centex!
  • Full wrap cushions are part of our build. Looks like I made a mistake in the original post. There are two entries in the build sheet - (1) Full wrap cushions - standard fabric, and (2) Full wrap cushions - custom fabric. I plan to get (1) and omit (2). We aren't inclined to go for the custom fabric, etc.
  • If I understood you correctly, 12V outlets would charge our iPhones, iPads, and various electronic devices like the headlamps, bike computer, etc. That's mainly what we need. We don't plan to use coffee machine, toaster, etc.
  • Good point about the backup camera. I would be interested in what you come up with.
Our limitation is that we are not handy at all. The most advanced tool we own so far is a screwdriver and any plan of installing / customizing anything ourselves seems foolish. The same consideration applies to shelving. That's why we prefer to get anything we might need up-front from Escape, who have hopefully done some research to come up with a reasonable option (with their markup, of course).
Old 08-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Ah, DIY 'mods' are not for you, no worries!

(that may come with time )

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
  • If I understood you correctly, 12V outlets would charge our iPhones, iPads, and various electronic devices like the headlamps, bike computer, etc.
As long as they're USB charging cords, yes, with a plug-in adaptor like this (just an example - look for reviews to help ensure good quality - avoid the 'cheapos')
Attached Thumbnails
USB.jpg  
Old 08-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
While we ordered four extra 12v/USB outlets, (one outside, one on each side of the bed at the foot, and one underneath the dinette bench), we really, really, really wish the one underneath the dinette bench had been located next to the refrigerator (6" from fridge wall) in the upper cabinet. That way we could put our computers/phones/readers in the upper cabinet, eliminating cord clutter, plus the 12v plug could be used for a TV if we ever decide to go that way.

Additions to our u-shaped dinette were:
Deepen the back bench from 18" to 21" (?) for better seating in back
2" back cushion instead of 1" so when sitting in the back you do not come in contact with the window knobs
Split both the back seat cushion and the back rest cushion
Split the board underneath the back seat cushion
Our only other regret was not getting the second solar panel. At $450 ($650 back then) it's a no-brainer and there have been times the single panel wasn't enough. We also have a portable, but they're a PITA, and only used when absolutely needed

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:56 AM   #6

Thanks a lot, Perry and Centex! This is very useful.

I now understand the 12-v outlet thanks to the picture Centex posted. Have the kind of plug you showed for our car cigarette lighter. I am thinking that Escape will install the plugs when we order them. If not, we can buy it. Picture is worth a thousand words - and looking at it I got it!

I tend to go for too many than too few to avoid later regret. So, might end up increasing the number. I will look for them to install a couple of 12-v plugs in the cabinet next to the refrigerator. Thanks for that idea.

Also like the idea around the cushions and dinette mods. I will copy that exact language of the modifications onto my order sheet

Thanks a ton! This helps a lot!
Old 08-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I believe ETI uses the combination DC outlets now, at least for the indoor ones.
Attached Thumbnails
outlet.jpg  
Old 08-23-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Thank you, Padlin! I get the USB slots. I don’t get the bottom part (the DC outlet?). I haven’t seen any plug that looks like that. What is it used for/by? PS: Got it! This is like the 12v outlet in the car!

Regarding the USB slots, some of the electronics (e.g. the Apple devices) prefer the manufacturer’s own voltage conversion. Are you able to charge iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, etc. without any problems?

Finally, the laptops require 120v outlets. Are there any inside the trailer? Just checking if we would be able to charge our laptops inside the trailer. It is not a complete show stopper as we will be buying the new 2021 F150 with hybrid engine and 7.5kW generator. It offers one or two 120v outlets, so could perhaps make do with that. But, it would be good to not run to the truck when battery is dying!
Old 08-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
As you know, I am still in the dreaming phase, so will definitely defer to others with practical experience. And advice is free, and may be worth every penny.

Have you downloaded Centex's very handy electrical locations diagram. It shows the default locations for the various electrical components: lights, 120V, 12V/USB, speakers, etc. From that, you can see the bedroom captains lights are included, and one 12V/USB at the door. So you've already saved almost $100!!! :-)

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/d...do=file&id=107

USB: Like Centex alluded to with the backup camera, tech things change quickly, and I suspect that the current USB plug will be superceded by the USB-C standard during your 5.0 ownership. You might consider just getting 12V sockets rather than combo 12V/USB and using the USB inserts like Centex showed. Also Centex alluded to the fact USB plugs have different charging ratings (with iPhone and iPad you know this is relevant since there isn't enough oomph to charge your iPad using your iPhone block), so it's important to know whether the USB port is 5W (like iPhone), 12W (like iPad), or more. It's the USB circuitry that will be rated, not the amount available on the 12V side. Your count of 6 inside 12V points seems about right: two in the bedroom, 2-3 in the dinette/kitchen, and maybe one more at the door.

Since you are getting the inverter, you can also use 120V and perhaps power bars to help with charging all those devices. You can see there are "lots" of 120V plugs.

Re captain's lights. I read here that someone has put captain's lights at the four corners of the dinette, so you would have light no matter which way you chose to sit. I would probably just get two in the "kitchen" corners, but everyone has their own preferences.

I like the idea of the outside light at the back so you can lock your bikes up if you get back late.

I personally prefer the idea of the shelf at the door for keys, phones to charge, and other stuff to set down when you come in rather than having the full height cabinet there. I don't think you gain much space, just more enclosed space.

We've had the dinette discussion before and I personally think I would lose too much leg and bum room with the bench across the back, reducing the width of the side seats to 30". Knees will be bumping when you have Alf over to drink Yeungling in the rain. The Legun would definitely help with the dinette option IMHO. And without the dinette you can use corner cushions to relax with your legs up. But others with experience will know.

Storage visualization: You can see the wardrobe, step and front-door cupboards at about the 19"30 mark of the Escape 5.0 walkthrough, and the kitchen at about 26".

You can also see how Dori and Mena's layout worked in their 5.0 starting at about the 20' mark of their For Sale/Sold video

I am also curious what your plan is to power the A/C? Would you wait until you connect to shore power, use a generator, upgrade your inverter, and/or use your fancy 2021 F-150 power system?

Thanks kavm. I will stop now.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Thank you, Padlin! I get the USB slots. I don’t get the bottom part (the DC outlet?). I haven’t seen any plug that looks like that. What is it used for/by?

Regarding the USB slots, some of the electronics (e.g. the Apple devices) prefer the manufacturer’s own voltage conversion. Are you able to charge iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, etc. without any problems?

Finally, the laptops require 120v outlets. Are there any inside the trailer? Just checking if we would be able to charge our laptops inside the trailer. It is not a complete show stopper as we will be buying the new 2021 F150 with hybrid engine and 7.5kW generator. It offers one or two 120v outlets, so could perhaps make do with that. But, it would be good to not run to the truck when battery is dying!
I guess I lied about stopping now.

The "cigarette lighter" is the 12V socket standard and can take the USB converter Centex mentioned, lights, fans, bicycle pumps, smaller 120V inverters, and lots of other stuff. It can also take cigarette lighters (heating coils inside the lighter), but not sure whether the Escapes 12V sockets are configured for that amount of draw. Better to light your cig off the propane stove but watch your eyebrows.

I will stop now. Really.
Old 08-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #11

camp4528 - Thank you so much for your fantastically helpful posts. All very useful - so no need to censor yourself. Your thoughts are more than welcome!
  • Really good idea to get the 12V sockets rather than combo 12V/USB and get 5W and 12W USB inserts - or whatever else we might need in the future. The ideas were there in the earlier post but I was just clueless and did not comprehend them. Now I do. Thanks a lot for this progress! PS: We are not smokers. I think of the 12V outlet as the cigarette lighter outlet as that's what I associate it with from the car
  • I downloaded the diagram in the link you included. Thanks again for sharing that. I get it that we don't need the Captain's lights for the bed area. 2 in dinette are enough. Might add 1 more for the kitchen but likely not needed. We will not use that area for brain surgery
  • There do seem like enough 120v outlets. So, we should be set there.
  • I liked the thought of selecting our own camera from Centex's post but concerns about our non-existent DIY install capacity let me not to pursue it. Centex was inclined towards - "... the rear-cam pre-wire-only (which leaves a pigtail for power inside the rear upper cabinet but no holes to pass-thru the body and of course no cam)". Assuming the camera is outside the trailer, it seemed like a hole to get the power to it from inside rear upper cabinet outlet and installation of the camera outside the trailer would remain for us to do - and that seemed daunting! Did I misunderstand this suggestion?
  • We had included the outside LED lights at the rear as a good measure, without foreseeing their use to attach the bikes to the bike carrier in the dark. So, you are way ahead of usI I mentioned your example to my wife and her eyes lit up in agreement
  • It was very useful to look at the orientation video and Dori and Mena's video. Thanks a lot! We are still a bit undecided on what we want there. Can see the attraction of both options.
  • Still confused about additional shelves. Will likely stick the standard - as the shelves seem deep and having them narrow in height might make the stuff in the rear less accessible.
  • We keep the U-shaped dinette. It looks nice in the pictures and the feedback seems positive.
  • Dori's and Mena's video (haven't watched it fully) did lead me to add counter extensions in the dinette area, in addition to the kitchen. So, that's a plus!
  • Power the A/C: As you can tell, we aren't particularly swift thinking through the electricals. We can use options and suggestions about how to best go about it.
    Our thinking is:
    • If the campground offers electric hookups, use it
    • Otherwise, use the solar power to charge the batteries, to the extent possible
    • If the batteries are low, use the generator /power-onboard from F150.
    Does that seem right? Would you do something differently? Also, I did not understand the reference to upgrading the inverter. Is the inverter from Escape deficient in this context?

Question: I omitted the TV antenna option as we don't even watch TV at home. But, I saw some posts on people using WeBoost cellular signal booster. Could the option "TV Antenna (includes TV Ready with 120V)" be converted into a cellular signal booster antenna?

All this is wonderfully helpful! So, many many thanks!
Old 08-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I believe Donna D had an interior switch installed to control her trailer’s outside lighting
That option make a lot of sense to me and one I wish I had thought of
It solves the issue of forgetting to shut the lights off and the lights bothering your neighbors at night plus at night if you hear something / someone outside that concerns you , you can turn on the lights without having to exit your trailer

We have 2 shelves in our wardrobe cabinet , sometimes I am glad we have them , but at other times I wish we didn’t .

I find the number of 120 VAC receptacles to be sufficient , I just wish the circuitry was different
I’ve added 2 -120VAC receptacles on separate circuits to our trailer to run desired appliances
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #13

I am of a certain age where those things in the car were cigarette lighters, even though I never smoked. But I did buy a 120v inverter which I plugged into the cigarette lighter about a decade ago to charge the phone and laptop before all cars had USB.

Re aircon. The 1500 inverter in the standard config doesn’t have the oomph to run the aircon off batteries. I have read in the forums of people who have replaced that with something bigger. If you don’t have shore power you can use a gas and/or propane generator or maybe use your truck to provide “shore-like” power.

Re camera. I am also not handy. If you want a camera I would suggest you get the Escape one. When the tech has evolved enough, buy a new trailer. ha ha. Or have the camera replaced or superceded with the new solution.

Dori’s rig had a cell booster which they didn’t use, and I saw someone used a portable antenna so they could find the best signal. Not sure if the built-in antenna can be used for cell reception. If you keep that tho, you have to remove the second solar panel from tour order. With your truck and your proposed 120v use (no real draws except compressor fridge) you might get away with one panel. Personally I would get the second panel and skip the antenna.

The new Escapes have an exterior light switch inside at the door. If additional outside lights aren't controlled from that switch by default, you might ask for it.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #14

Steve -

I have added the question on whether the exterior lights can be turned off from the inside on the list for Escape. Thanks!

camp4528 -

We have not given much thought the AC. There is a bit of East coast vs. West of Rockies element to that. Due to the low humidity, the evenings are cool and we rarely require an AC. This might not hold everywhere we travel to, so we included the AC in our build. Our usage anticipated usage (and hence the thought given to it) is low to moderate. The only reason I opted for the upgraded AC is the (supposed) quiet dimension. My wife is quite sensitive about noise - and quiet might mean the difference between getting to use the AC or having it only contribute expensive ballast to the trailer

Escape backup camera is on our option list.

Definitely keeping the second solar panel - and dropping the idea of the antenna. I had not realized the conflict. My experience with the cell phone signal boosters is very poor, so not a great loss. We will have dual cellular coverage - one from our respective phones and the WIFI hotspot in F150 (which uses ATT, I think). So, perhaps that'll be enough.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #15

Microwave: I don't know your planned Escape-centric cooking style, so this may be irrelevant. We do not cook in our microwave, but we defrost and reheat things almost daily. Heating up that spaghetti sauce we froze last week while cooking pasta on the propane cooktop makes a lot of sense to me, especially since you'll have the inverter there already and its such as low option $ cost (except for lost cupboard space). Many on this forum do not have the microwave, and cook inside or outside using the propane quick connect, and I'm sure many others take the time to cook all their components on propane, or head to the grocery store or restaurant, but it is worth thinking about in your new context.

A/C: Agree it won't be used often, and if you get into really hot or muggy weather, you can go somewhere else ( ha ha ), or find a campsite with shore power. It is one of those things I'm really torn about. It is fairly expensive, noisy no matter how quiet, there is the Maxx fan to draw in night air and insulation to keep things sort of cool by day, and there has never been an A/C unit in any tent I've stayed in and we survived. However, I do understand that for some it is real important, especially when camping in the South, and it's something I would want a pro (e.g., Escape) to install. I think having A/C is also a consideration for resale value, but again my opinion only.

SeeLevel. Was it tdf_texas or ttmartin who said it was "almost as easy" to use a look and calendar time to determine when you need to empty the tanks? Although I expect the "free" solution will mostly work. To me, this is an expensive option for what you get. But lots of people also manage without inverters, solar, microwaves, and backup cameras, so it's a personal "what's it worth to me" thing.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #16

I know for us the list of options we didn’t get and wish we had is far longer than the list of the ones we did get and regret buying.
I have the time , tools and knowledge to make modifications to our Escape , what I lack is the desire and energy so I fully understand your desire to get your trailer right the first time around.

Good luck with your build sheet .
Old 08-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #17

Camp4528 -
  • We did think about the microwave. We do use it to re-heat food at home. But, it is not a must-have appliance for us at home either and we simply did not rate it enough to devote the space, energy and money it’d take. So, we are comfortable with that choice. [Our lunch is more a green smoothie variety, and we might crank up the Power-OnBoard to get that ]
  • AC is in - but just by a thread. It is one of those peace of mind type choice. We might reconsider it. Money isn’t driving our decisions all that much, just the preferences and the knowledge of what we are likely to use.
  • We are keeping the SeeLevel. It is expensive but might be useful to us. It will be a while before we become the veterans like TTMartin and Tdf_Texas. Our use initially (before we retire) will be modest due to the professions we occupy. We could do a lot of damage before we gain sufficient judgment about these things

Steve -

Thank you! You captured how we are approaching this. We’d rather get something we did not need than be wasting time finding and chasing some RV shop/mechanic to add it for us. The things we have excluded are those that we are certain we don’t need / can happily do without.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: pending
Quote:
Thank you, Padlin! I get the USB slots. I don’t get the bottom part (the DC outlet?). I haven’t seen any plug that looks like that. What is it used for/by? PS: Got it! This is like the 12v outlet in the car!

I am also in the "it's happening soon stage" and when I get my retirement sorted out, end of Oct 2020 I will pull the trigger and plan to go full time RV.
I too got a warm fuzzy feeling when I saw about the F150 with the power setup. Even spent 3 hours in the dealership ! I lived off grid already for 10 years a while back and it just seemed like a no brainier to me, BUT after pragmatic consideration have decide that for even less money I can get a 2021 F250 diesel with tons of extra power to tow if I get cramped after a long time in a Escape5 and want bigger.
The F150 with power is a great idea but not practical for RV use. Yes it maybe convenient but at what cost ? You are limited in truck size, it is VERY expensive as you need a high level or trim before you can get it. You use a lot of gas to produce way more power than you usually need. You have no redundancy, your one power source goes down and you are screwed. What happens if you forget to check your truck fuel levels and use all your gas to watch a movie ? Then you are stuck ! When it has issues, as it surely will, your camping is on hold.
On the other hand, a F250 is a lot more truck with potential to grow. A couple of good Honda generators can run parallel and give you plenty of power to run AC and when you only want a few things, use only one and a lot less gas. You have a safety net with two gen-sets and versatility and portability. When some one goes to town to get supplies they do not take the power with them.
I could go on and it really grieved me when I came to the realization that the f150 with the power was not such a great idea. It still is hard to swallow.
Also the F150 as a hybrid vehicle is a joke. I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid right now and the battery size and onboard power of the F150 will not make any serious impact on the driving of the truck. Pound for pound, I doubt if any gas savings would cover the extra consumption caused by the weight of the battery and generator.
SO, my advice, for what is worth, is SERIOUSLY consider why you want to spend a whole lot of extra money for what i think is little to no benefit in the long run
Dee Lirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Lirious View Post
I am also in the "it's happening soon stage" and when I get my retirement sorted out, end of Oct 2020 I will pull the trigger and plan to go full time RV.
I too got a warm fuzzy feeling when I saw about the F150 with the power setup. Even spent 3 hours in the dealership ! I lived off grid already for 10 years a while back and it just seemed like a no brainier to me, BUT after pragmatic consideration have decide that for even less money I can get a 2021 F250 diesel with tons of extra power to tow if I get cramped after a long time in a Escape5 and want bigger.
The F150 with power is a great idea but not practical for RV use. Yes it maybe convenient but at what cost ? You are limited in truck size, it is VERY expensive as you need a high level or trim before you can get it. You use a lot of gas to produce way more power than you usually need. You have no redundancy, your one power source goes down and you are screwed. What happens if you forget to check your truck fuel levels and use all your gas to watch a movie ? Then you are stuck ! When it has issues, as it surely will, your camping is on hold.
On the other hand, a F250 is a lot more truck with potential to grow. A couple of good Honda generators can run parallel and give you plenty of power to run AC and when you only want a few things, use only one and a lot less gas. You have a safety net with two gen-sets and versatility and portability. When some one goes to town to get supplies they do not take the power with them.
I could go on and it really grieved me when I came to the realization that the f150 with the power was not such a great idea. It still is hard to swallow.
Also the F150 as a hybrid vehicle is a joke. I drive a Mitsubishi Outlander Hybrid right now and the battery size and onboard power of the F150 will not make any serious impact on the driving of the truck. Pound for pound, I doubt if any gas savings would cover the extra consumption caused by the weight of the battery and generator.
SO, my advice, for what is worth, is SERIOUSLY consider why you want to spend a whole lot of extra money for what i think is little to no benefit in the long run
It’s sort of the same issues with a motor home
Our friends own a 32 foot Winnebago motor home
He gets lousy fuel mileage , if his motor home gets a flat tire he is stuck waiting for road side assistance , every time we go camping together, he has to haul a car along or we have to drive if we need to go to town or go sightseeing, and the onboard generator noise would wake the dead ,etc etc
His generator broke down on one of our camping trips and it took hours to access the generator and make a simple repair
After witnessing the problems he encountered, we went with the Escape 21 C

The Ford F150 with built in generator seem more suited as a work truck for construction
Ram makes a 1/2 ton hybrid truck and for me , the short comings are only exceeded by the price