21NE Exterior Access Hatches - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
21NE Exterior Access Hatches

Per their website, there's one exterior hatches but can more than two be added?
Attached Thumbnails
hatch locations.png  
dinomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19

The S stands for the one you are going to get as standard.
1 and 2 you can pay extra for...and that is it.
The drivers rear is taken up with the water heat.
I would suggest at least getting number 1 as it is pain getting stuff out from under the seat cushions.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #3

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We store shoes under the passenger side dinette bench. Not a problem to get with the optional door. Also bicycle helmets and water packs. Further towards the front we store box wine and other items needed 1x or 2x a week. It really is not too much trouble to lift the seat and grab the items. And it sure beats having to go outside in the rain or dark to get to them.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I got only the standard rear passenger side access door. The passenger side dinette bench is the easiest underseat area in the 21NE to access, especially if you have the optional door on the end of the bench. I don't miss having outside access to that area (#1). I do wish I got the outside access door to the driver's side dinette bench (#2). That area is partially taken up by the blackwater tank and electrical stuff, but the front corner is free, and fairly large. If the table is in place, it is somewhat difficult to reach there. I now store items there I don't intend to use very often. If I had outside access, I could use it to store items I use more often.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
And it sure beats having to go outside in the rain or dark to get to them.
Of course with the front hatches you can still access everything from lifting the seat lids as well, so you would never have to go outside in the rain or dark to get anything.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
I was advised that Hatch Option #1 could not be provided due to it conflicting with the manual awning legs.

Hatch Option #2 was optioned/included when we ordered JoMoE.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I had a hatch installed at the front passenger side of my 17B, but I access the storage by lifting the seat inside. As pointed out, I'm not outside in the rain. I don't have to pull stuff out to get at the stuff behind. Another concern is I have to remove the rock guard to open the hatch and replace the rock guard so it doesn't have driving rain pounding against it when underway.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
I was advised that Hatch Option #1 could not be provided due to it conflicting with the manual awning legs.
Is there a door available (it is not provided as standard judging from the videos on the Escape website) for the rearward end of that dinette base cabinet? It would open into the entry door space, would be easier to use than lifting the dinette seat, and would provide essentially the same access to the rearward end of that cabinet as an exterior hatch, but from the interior.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Yes, there is an optional door on the pass side dinette that opens into the entry space. It is listed under options, think it is $75.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Is there a door available (it is not provided as standard judging from the videos on the Escape website) for the rearward end of that dinette base cabinet? It would open into the entry door space, would be easier to use than lifting the dinette seat, and would provide essentially the same access to the rearward end of that cabinet as an exterior hatch, but from the interior.
For you that would be $85 Canadian and it is not what I would call a full width door.

What we did was order the standard fridge which gave us the cabinet and door above. I then removed the door and placed it on the end of the dinette seat. This gave me a full width door for free. We then purchased a stainless steel look microwave that fits flush with the cabinet front for far less than the microwave option. It was a win win for us.

If you are handy and want to know more info you can check out post #30 in Modifications to Eggscape. The link below will get you in the right thread.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 E19
21NE black tank location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
I got only the standard rear passenger side access door. The passenger side dinette bench is the easiest underseat area in the 21NE to access, especially if you have the optional door on the end of the bench. I don't miss having outside access to that area (#1). I do wish I got the outside access door to the driver's side dinette bench (#2). That area is partially taken up by the blackwater tank and electrical stuff, but the front corner is free, and fairly large. If the table is in place, it is somewhat difficult to reach there. I now store items there I don't intend to use very often. If I had outside access, I could use it to store items I use more often.

The comment above threw me a curve.....

Is the black tank on the 21NE mounted "above" the fiberglass floor, or......protrudes up thru it, or......?

I thought (and no good pics on Escape website) that all tanks were hung underneath?
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
Is the black tank on the 21NE mounted "above" the fiberglass floor, or......protrudes up thru it, or......?
I thought (and no good pics on Escape website) that all tanks were hung underneath?
The black tank is situated below the floor (hangs) directly below the toilet, between the parallel chassis beams. The fresh water and grey water tanks are similarly situated but not directly under the toilet.

It keeps the centre of gravity low and between the wheels.

Fear not...there is very little likelihood of spillage short of turning the trailer upside down or from overfilling it.
Gad...there's two visuals I really must avoid in future.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 05:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

In every other Escape model, the black tank sits on top of the floor; the grey and fresh tanks hang below.

Quote:
The black tank is situated below the floor (hangs) directly below the toilet, between the parallel chassis beams.
Is the 21NE is different in this respect from every other Escape model? Other Escape black tanks sit on top of the floor; the toilet sits directly on top of the tank. You can see the height of the tank in the bathroom (at the raised area under the toilet, and in the adjacent cabinet (because the black tank extends into the adjacent cabinet to get enough capacity). This step up in the bathroom floor under the toilet is visible in one photo in the 21NE brochure.

The cabinet with the rest of the black tank is the
  • bed base in the 21C
  • closet on the driver's side of the stairs in the 5.0
  • driver's side of the dinette in the 19
  • driver's side of the front dinette in the 17B
If it is on top of the floor, as it appears to be, the black tank would extend into driver's side of the dinette seat base in the 21NE.

The higher placement of the black tank provides more height to drive drainage when the black tank is emptied... and you want that

Quote:
... below the floor (hangs) directly below the toilet, between the parallel chassis beams. The fresh water and grey water tanks are similarly situated but not directly under the toilet.
That is how the fresh water and grey waste tanks are placed, against the bottom of the floor. The fresh water tank is behind the axles, while the grey waste tank is ahead of the axles. The tanks are deeper than the frame rails (beams), so they hang lower.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:18 PM   #14

21 NE black tank placement

Thanks for the responses, though it appears to still be in limbo.............

Guess it depends on toilet design as well. Many are "short" and sit almost directly on the tank.

With such, guess it would make sense for black tanks to be above floor level, due to wanting the shortest chute from the toilet bowl to the tank and not having a toilet seat 15" above the floor

Though my last trailer had a porcelain / electronic flush model (really nice) that had a base on it very similar in height and build to a residential toilet with about a 4" waste pipe drop from the base of the toilet, thru the floor, to the top of the black tank which was completely under the floor.

Based on the black tank capacity for the 21NE, and the amount of "base" under the actual toilet, the whole black tank may well be above the floor, and may "intrude" under the DS dinette seat with only the drain going thru the floor....

As I have not seen a 21NE in person yet (a jump of faith on the deposit!) I may have assumed incorrectly regarding black tank placement.

I'd prefer underneath, butt.................

Any pics would be appreciated. Or CAD/CAM (or whatever they are called) drawings / renderings from ETI maybe?
Old 04-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #15

Here is a picture of beneath the drivers side dinette in my 21NE. The plywood is covering part of the black tank, which is above the floor and protrudes in that area. The black box on top is the EMS.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1173[1].jpg  
Old 04-18-2021, 12:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Based on the black tank capacity for the 21NE, and the amount of "base" under the actual toilet, the whole black tank may well be above the floor, and may "intrude" under the DS dinette seat with only the drain going thru the floor....
This is exactly how it is configured.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Here is a picture of beneath the drivers side dinette in my 21NE. The plywood is covering part of the black tank, which is above the floor and protrudes in that area. The black box on top is the EMS.
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Whichever hatches you end up with...remember to close them at night. We woke up with quite a draft in the trailer until i remembered I had opened the hatch to access something the evening before! Brr! Luck a racoon didn't crawl in...
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Quote:
Getting a driver's side optional hatch for a 21NE would not seem to be useful then? Just passenger side?
Johnspierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #20

There is a fair amount of usable space there, especially with the U dinette. I wish I had paid for one. I may add it myself.