Awning & window changes - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #221

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Maybe we'll have an awning race event at Quartzsite this year. I just closed my manual up in UT in about 50 seconds, maybe less. Might be faster than the electrics can go in.
Half a second and I am on to something else.

Though not many awning deployed much of the time there last year. The trailer was rockin' through the night a few times there, and I ain't talkin' in the fun way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:53 PM   #222

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It sounds like you have not used an electric awning.
You're right Jim I've never used one but seen them in action and that is enough for me. Also I know enough about the laws of physics to realize that there is no way they can be as robust as my manual one. And with my luck if I did have one I guarantee you that during a wind storm or some other emergency the electric motor would die on me.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:02 PM   #223

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
There are pros and cons for both awnings. It all comes down to what each owner prefers. Let’s just leave it at that. We all could go on and on about it. I’ve used both and I prefer the manual but that’s me. And “ that’s all I have to say about that “
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #224

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
It all comes down to what each owner prefers.

But, others have to make decisions. If we leave it at "what each owner prefers" there will be no posts on the forum.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:04 PM   #225

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
You're right Jim I've never used one but seen them in action and that is enough for me. Also I know enough about the laws of physics to realize that there is no way they can be as robust as my manual one. And with my luck if I did have one I guarantee you that during a wind storm or some other emergency the electric motor would die on me.
One thing to remember is that there is a manual override and you can retract the awning in a minute with nothing but a flat screwdriver to pop the cap and a 3/8 inch ratchet to bring it in. I have tried it and it works very easy. It can't be extended manually though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #226

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
There are pros and cons for both awnings. It all comes down to what each owner prefers. Let’s just leave it at that. We all could go on and on about it
Old 07-19-2018, 05:37 PM   #227

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Will de size of the hatch change, for mounting the awning post?
Old 07-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #228

This post is about nothing.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #229

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Half a second and I am on to something else.

Though not many awning deployed much of the time there last year. The trailer was rockin' through the night a few times there, and I ain't talkin' in the fun way.

I had a Clam trying to mate with or maybe eat our Gazelle during one of the storms. Mine stayed fast but the top was really dancing up and down. Theirs broke free and ended up halfway up the side of ours.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #230

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Maybe we'll have an awning race event at Quartzsite this year. I just closed my manual up in UT in about 50 seconds, maybe less. Might be faster than the electrics can go in.
I guess I need to start timing myself then ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #231

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm going to install some li-ion batteries in my remote for faster retraction speed......
Old 07-19-2018, 08:36 PM   #232

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This could turn out to be an interesting event. I must say I think the Fiamma folks may be in trouble
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #233

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
thanks

Thanks to the original poster, davidmurphy02, for posting the news about the 2019 window and awning changes.

We're picking up our second 19' in November, so this is very timely information. FWIW, we're changing to the 2019-style framed thermal windows and Carefree arm-style awning. We really like the functionality of the frameless windows and push-button awning and especially like the opening back window, but I value reliability above all else, so it was an easy decision to choose framed windows and manual awning. Please take this as just one person's opinion -- it is not a recommendation or a criticism of another point-of-view.

Some info from Escape that may be useful to others:

On the 19 (and maybe others), opening the frameless windows interferes with a retracted Carefree arm-style awning. Slider windows are fine (obviously). So the awning choice and window choice are somewhat dependent.

On the frameless windows, there have been warranty claims for delamination, perhaps due to overtightening. Also warranty claims for breakage - they are not flush with the trailer wall, so a rock hitting an edge can break them.

My understanding of the windows on the 19:

1. Standard dinette driver-side, dinette passenger-side, and bed passenger-side windows are non-thermal sliders. The framed thermal option makes them thermal sliders. The frameless thermal option makes this thermal hinged-at-top awning-style.

2. Standard back bed window is non-thermal non-opening. The framed thermal option make this thermal non-opening. The frameless thermal option makes this thermal hinged-at-top awning-style.

3. Front dinette window is non-thermal non-opening with rock guard (no thermal option changes that).

4. Driver-side bed "escape hatch" window is the same with both framed thermal option and frameless thermal option. Not sure if it is a thermal.

5. Optional opening kitchen window is either framed non-thermal hinged-in-middle awning-style or frameless thermal hinged-at-top awning-style.

Hope this helps. If my understanding is wrong, please correct it.

Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #234

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Well this debate might seem silly, but as a prospective Escape owner with a 19 on order, I'm actually finding it quite useful. Because of the convenience factor, I'm still thinking the electric awning is what I want. But you guys really made me think hard about it!! I got the electric jack as well, for the same reason. Yeah I CAN operate a jack manually, but pushing a button versus all this hand cranking, well what can I say. Again, I think it depends a lot on what type of camping a person is intending to do. I personally am not planning to do much cooking outside, but I can see if someone was, keeping an awning extended in a rainstorm would definitely be an advantage.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #235

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Thanks to the original poster, davidmurphy02, for posting the news about the 2019 window and awning changes.

We're picking up our second 19' in November, so this is very timely information. FWIW, we're changing to the 2019-style framed thermal windows and Carefree arm-style awning. We really like the functionality of the frameless windows and push-button awning and especially like the opening back window, but I value reliability above all else, so it was an easy decision to choose framed windows and manual awning. Please take this as just one person's opinion -- it is not a recommendation or a criticism of another point-of-view.

Some info from Escape that may be useful to others:

On the 19 (and maybe others), opening the frameless windows interferes with a retracted Carefree arm-style awning. Slider windows are fine (obviously). So the awning choice and window choice are somewhat dependent.

On the frameless windows, there have been warranty claims for delamination, perhaps due to overtightening. Also warranty claims for breakage - they are not flush with the trailer wall, so a rock hitting an edge can break them.

My understanding of the windows on the 19:

1. Standard dinette driver-side, dinette passenger-side, and bed passenger-side windows are non-thermal sliders. The framed thermal option makes them thermal sliders. The frameless thermal option makes this thermal hinged-at-top awning-style.

2. Standard back bed window is non-thermal non-opening. The framed thermal option make this thermal non-opening. The frameless thermal option makes this thermal hinged-at-top awning-style.

3. Front dinette window is non-thermal non-opening with rock guard (no thermal option changes that).

4. Driver-side bed "escape hatch" window is the same with both framed thermal option and frameless thermal option. Not sure if it is a thermal.

5. Optional opening kitchen window is either framed non-thermal hinged-in-middle awning-style or frameless thermal hinged-at-top awning-style.

Hope this helps. If my understanding is wrong, please correct it.

Bill R
Hi Bill- why are you replacing a Gen1 for a Gen2?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #236

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
If it has a sweep, it surely didn't do it's job, even on a twig that ended up indenting the vinyl every 12 inches as it rolled up.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Bill- why are you replacing a Gen1 for a Gen2?
A neighbor's tree destroyed our beloved trailer. See thread RIP to our Escape 19.

Bill R
Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #238

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sorry Bill to bring that up again; am seeing my own post there too Best wishes with the new one!
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sorry Bill to bring that up again; am seeing my own post there too Best wishes with the new one!
S'ok. It was a sad day, we lost a season of travel, but life is still good.

Bill R
Old 07-19-2018, 11:00 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I personally am not planning to do much cooking outside, but I can see if someone was, keeping an awning extended in a rainstorm would definitely be an advantage.

That's when you make soup.