Awning & window changes - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #241

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Thanks to the original poster, davidmurphy02, for posting the news about the 2019 window and awning changes.

We're picking up our second 19' in November, so this is very timely information. FWIW, we're changing to the 2019-style framed thermal windows and Carefree arm-style awning. We really like the functionality of the frameless windows and push-button awning and especially like the opening back window, but I value reliability above all else, so it was an easy decision to choose framed windows and manual awning. Please take this as just one person's opinion -- it is not a recommendation or a criticism of another point-of-view.
We plan on having this camper for at least 10 years and want long-term reliability. So at this point in time we'll be getting the thermal framed windows and the armed Carefree awning, because it should be, well, carefree.

The sliding thermal windows in our 2003 Bigfoot were still working perfectly after 15 years, but the fabric on the awning needed replacement, however, the mechanism was still working flawlessly.

The jury is still out on everyone's frameless windows and armless awning and won't be in until years down the road. For everyone's sake I hope we're wrong, but it won't be such a bad wrong.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 AM   #242

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The good thing about either choice is that Escape trailers holds their value, you can always sell and purchase another one without fear of a big loss that happens with SOBs. Escape, due to their quality and customizing have a high demand and it is quite easy to sell and purchase another one with changes you wished you done in the first place. I speak from experience.....
Old 07-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #243

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
On the frameless windows, there have been warranty claims for delamination, perhaps due to overtightening. Also warranty claims for breakage - they are not flush with the trailer wall, so a rock hitting an edge can break them.
Bill R

Not sure why this over tightening as the cause of the delaminations keeps popping up. The windows that delaminate are the small windows. They are used in the kitchen on the 19 and maybe other trailers and the bathroom as an option.

Both of the small windows on ours failed . How they failed was the adhesive used to glue the two panes of glass together turned into a soft sticky mess. Both came from California. I suspect the requirement to use only low VOC adhesives caused the application of a non suitable adhesive. I kept one of them in case I ever needed a part. It's stored out in the storage shed and the glue used has now completely turned into goo.

The window sticks out less than 1/2 inch. A rock unless it is coming at exactly a 180 degree angle less than 1/2 inch down the side of the trailer would end up contacting the other style too.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #244

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am not seeing many people talk about the $700 saving with the manual awning. I would think this will help towards replacement of the fabric years down the road since it is not as well protected when in storage.
It will also be interesting to see if the optional kitchen and bathroom windows will be cheaper.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #245

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
Not sure why this over tightening as the cause of the delaminations keeps popping up.
I don't get this either. I would be way more worried about the hardware failing from over tightening. Even when snugged down you could go outside and pry out on the window a bit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #246

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 towed by F-150 with 2.7l eb, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I don't get this either. I would be way more worried about the hardware failing from over tightening. Even when snugged down you could go outside and pry out on the window a bit.
I had a long talk with Tammy the day before yesterday on this issue. She told me that overtightening has a tendency to slightly pry the panes apart. Then, especially in the hotter air, the vacuum effect of the trailer motion also has a tendency to create a force on the outside pane which, together with the continually overtightenting as users open/close the windows too tightly, forces the panes further apart, resulting in the delamination that has been occurring.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #247

Quote:

From talking to Reace last year if you over tighten the knob it could pop the part loose from the glass. The failure mine had was not common and I think only affected windows from California made in the first part of the year.. And apparently only involved the small windows. There were other issues too but they were things that can happen to the other style too. Like misaligned frames, bad sealing etc.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #248

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
I am not seeing many people talk about the $700 saving with the manual awning ... It will also be interesting to see if the optional kitchen and bathroom windows will be cheaper.

The savings allowed us to add the additional opening window over the drawer stack (hooray) but I didn't notice any change in price to the kitchen or bathroom window.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
I am not seeing many people talk about the $700 saving with the manual awning ... It will also be interesting to see if the optional kitchen and bathroom windows will be cheaper.

The savings allowed us to add the additional opening window over the drawer stack (hooray) but I didn't notice any change in price to the kitchen or bathroom window.
That is because the kitchen is standard in the 21 model.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #250

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Frameless window rain guard

Right after Osoyoos this past year, we were at ETI getting the frameless rear window repaired. It had a very small leak that occasionally, with a light rain, would dribble down the screen. Unfortunately due to our rear light being mounted high and to one side, ETI couldn't remove the window to repair it. However Reace told me they were designing rain guards (gutters) that would go over the top of the windows, using double sided tape, to keep the rain away from the top hinge. I told him I would be satisfied with the rain guards and asked to be put on the waiting list.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #251

Interesting, I was told that Reace did not feel that the E-Z- gutters would stay on the trailer when I wanted to ship a roll to have installed. I'll need to collaborate this inconsistency....
Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #252

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting, I was told that Reace did not feel that the E-Z- gutters would stay on the trailer when I wanted to ship a roll to have installed. I'll need to collaborate this inconsistency....

Wish you would not have told me that.
Now the gutters I've had on ours since June 2017 are going to fall off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180221_091044894_HDR.jpg   IMG_20180221_091109048_HDR.jpg  
Old 07-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #253

Maybe not, let's prove him wrong. How many feet did you use? They also come in black?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Maybe not, let's prove him wrong. How many feet did you use? They also come in black?
I bought 50 feet and had a few feet left over. I did do the cargo door and strips over other areas as you can see from the pictures too.I bought mine from here. Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters

Avoid the stuff they sell on on some sites that is some other brand. My neighbor bought some. He came over to get me since I had success installing our gutter. We could not get what he bought to stay on his trailer. I scrubbed the sides down, used lots of alcohol and within a week the ends were lifting and it was coming loose in the corners. I do not remember the brand he bought but know it was not the one I linked to.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #255

Quote:
Wish you would not have told me that.
Now the gutters I've had on ours since June 2017 are going to fall off.
I have installed drip cap on thousands of windows, but never on the side. Curious as to why you chose to do this?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #256

Quote:
I have installed drip cap on thousands of windows, but never on the side. Curious as to why you chose to do this?

It keeps toad stranglers from trying to get in.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 PM   #257

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
It keeps toad stranglers from trying to get in.
Ok, I just had to look that one up.

toad-strangler. A particularly heavy or torrential downpour of rain. (Chiefly heard in the southern United States.)

Here in Houston, we just call that rain. But then, I have been up north where people described weather as really raining hard for what in Houston would be called a sprinkle.
Attached Thumbnails
rain.jpg  
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #258

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Right after Osoyoos this past year, we were at ETI getting the frameless rear window repaired. It had a very small leak that occasionally, with a light rain, would dribble down the screen. Unfortunately due to our rear light being mounted high and to one side, ETI couldn't remove the window to repair it. However Reace told me they were designing rain guards (gutters) that would go over the top of the windows, using double sided tape, to keep the rain away from the top hinge. I told him I would be satisfied with the rain guards and asked to be put on the waiting list.
Hi Richard- um, say what-they cannot remove the window due to a rear light? C'mon!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Richard- um, say what-they cannot remove the window due to a rear light? C'mon!
I was wondering too, and I was set up looking at the back end of his trailer for a week at Quartzsite.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #260

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Toads

t tc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Ok, I just had to look that one up.

toad-strangler. A particularly heavy or torrential downpour of rain. (Chiefly heard in the southern United States.)

Here in Houston, we just call that rain. But then, I have been up north where people described weather as really raining hard for what in Houston would be called a sprinkle.
You are correct. It can rain prettty hard in the upper Midwest but colloquial language development can be pretty darn accurate because a heavy rain where I grew up was called a toad blinker. More of an annoyance to a toad than a death threat. This morning out in central Nebraska we had several lessons regarding camouflage, toad species of the USA, and the fight or flee response to a young boy with a stick.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
DF4694C7-29D5-435C-8056-AF675F52B0F1.jpg   3743A7AB-7A34-42B1-8C0A-FC61DE44F8BB.jpg   59229365-7190-4391-A988-2DDC13E5AD2E.jpg