I just put my deposit in for an Escape 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2019, 01:49 AM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
We have a microwave at home.
My wife uses it to cook broccoli.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I grew up without microwaves and knew and know how to cook without one. My Escapes do not carry one, that space makes a nice pantry and flashlight recharger.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #23

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHolderfield View Post
We're not planning on mounting a tv. Is there any other reason to reinforce the walls?
I had walls reinforced in case I wanted to add things in the future, wall hooks, shelves, things like that. In practice I added a few Umbra hook bars and that's it. Now a days you can have Escape add them at pickup, meaning you don't need the walls reinforced if you have them do it as they know where the framing is.

If you want the flexibility to add things then go ahead and get a wall or 3 reinforced. If you can have ETI add what you wish when you pick it up, if you pick it up, then you don't need it.

Obviously it adds a bit to the cost and the weight if those are a concern to you.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We have most of the options that were available on our 19. Two overlooked options that we would really miss are (1) raised dinette floor and (2) added two shelves to the wardrobe in order to make it into a closet with storage. We found that sitting in a 19 without the raised floor we felt like we were in a basement looking up and out of the windows. The raised floor makes viewing more natural for us (both about 5' 10" tall). We also find the "closet" much more useful than the "wardrobe" because we have more storage space.

We love the solar and all the other options we purchased but, at least for a 19, the two mentioned above are often overlooked.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
I too got most of the options available on my 19. I have the raised floor for the dinette and definitely don't regret that. Also converted the bench seats to U-shaped and am happy with that configuration as well. Since we boondock a lot, the solar panel and dual batteries have proven essential, and I love that we aren't dependent on a hauling a generator and fuel to run it. The three options I didn't get, which I now wish I had, are the water heater with option to run on electric, removable power cord, and the outside shower. The water heater on propane has proven to be a bit glitchy, sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get it to fire up and stay on. It would be nice to have the option to heat water on straight electricity. The removable power cord eliminates an entry way for insects and other critters, and it just seems simpler to manage the cord, which can be stored anywhere. As for the outside shower, when boondocking it always seems like gray tank capacity is the limiting factor. With the outside shower, the water goes into the ground or into a portable container that can be easily emptied rather than into the gray tank, thereby extending gray tank capacity. Also we travel with dogs, and I need to hose their feet off when they get into the mud. I would rather not do that inside the trailer, for obvious reasons. Other than that, I did get the air conditioner but have used it exactly 0 times. This is partly due to the fact we boondock a lot, and partly because we've been able to keep the trailer comfortable with fans. Of course, we've only traveled in the Rockies and Pacific Northwest this past year, and it hasn't been a terribly hot summer. Next year could bring new challenges in terms of temperature, however, so I'm glad I have the option.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #26

Since we boondock a lot the electric water heater option would not work as well as the propane.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 19
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I had walls reinforced in case I wanted to add things in the future, wall hooks, shelves, things like that. In practice I added a few Umbra hook bars and that's it. Now a days you can have Escape add them at pickup, meaning you don't need the walls reinforced if you have them do it as they know where the framing is.

If you want the flexibility to add things then go ahead and get a wall or 3 reinforced. If you can have ETI add what you wish when you pick it up, if you pick it up, then you don't need it.

Obviously it adds a bit to the cost and the weight if those are a concern to you.
Which walls did you reinforce?

Steve
SHolderfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #28

Quote:

Steve
Reinforcing walls is model specific....
Old 08-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #29

What would you reinforce in the 19? Thanks Jim!
Old 08-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #30

Probably the 2 end walls on the street side, the bath/dinette wall and/or the bed/refer wall.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:39 PM   #31

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:

Steve
Different trailer, 5.0TA vs your 19.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
To be a contrarian, the last thing you need in a small trailer is more stuff screwed to the walls.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
In my 17 I reinforced the refrigerator wall that is just inside the door because I knew I wanted another handhold there for safety. I think some folks with other models may have put a similar item on the right at the entry....
Old 08-25-2019, 04:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Probably the 2 end walls on the street side, the bath/dinette wall and/or the bed/refer wall.
I guess I'm dumb... Where are the "2 end walls on the street side"?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
I am sorta surprised that no one has mentioned the power jack for the hitch receiver. We did not get one with our new E19, and it was not many nights on the road coming home that we realized, with the E2 Fastway Equalizer/Sway control assembly, you have to lower and raise the tongue of the trailer a lot more. In addition, because of the heavier tongue weight on the E19 (compared to our E15), the manual jack is geared so that one rotation moves the tongue up or down much less than the one on the E15 did. So make sure you get a power jack for the tongue. As soon as we got home, I ordered one from Amazon and installed it myself.

Also, we too wish we would have gotten the elevated platform for the dinette.

So, if I get five options:
1. Front Storage box
2. Dual 6 v batteries
3. Extra insulation
4. Power jack for tongue. (but it is easy to install one and wire yourself)
5. Elevated platform for dinette.
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post
I am sorta surprised that no one has mentioned the power jack for the hitch receiver. We did not get one with our new E19, and it was not many nights on the road coming home that we realized, with the E2 Fastway Equalizer/Sway control assembly, you have to lower and raise the tongue of the trailer a lot more. In addition, because of the heavier tongue weight on the E19 (compared to our E15), the manual jack is geared so that one rotation moves the tongue up or down much less than the one on the E15 did. So make sure you get a power jack for the tongue. As soon as we got home, I ordered one from Amazon and installed it myself.

1. Front Storage box
2. Dual 6 v batteries
3. Extra insulation
I think that it may just be your perception that the gearing on the tongue jacks were different for the 19' and 15' Escapes. I have both and they are essentially the same. That being said, there are quite a few posters on this forum who have chosen to purchase power jacks for their Escapes to ease the stress on their limbs. I find that for me it is really not a significant effort to use the manual jack, even when raising or lowering the front of the trailer to ease the hookup of my Weight Distribution hitch.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajenkins View Post

1. Front Storage box
2. Dual 6 v batteries
3. Extra insulation
Thanks we have all those on our build sheet, but I appreciate that input regarding the power jack. I was wondering if I was just being a whiny wimp. Good to know that it will be appreciated in real life. Thanks for the info!

Steve
Old 09-04-2019, 12:45 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
solar
out door shower drivers side to do dishes etc...
if i had a bumper pull i would get the storage box
insulated windows/ foam insulation
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
solar
out door shower drivers side to do dishes etc...
if i had a bumper pull i would get the storage box
insulated windows/ foam insulation
Great suggestions! I worried over the outside shower, but I decided it was so affordable that it has made the cut. I can't imagine not having that front storage box although I did gulp at the cost and I went for all the insulation options that were offered. Thanks for the input!

Steve
Old 09-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I think that it may just be your perception that the gearing on the tongue jacks were different for the 19' and 15' Escapes. I have both and they are essentially the same.

Dave, I had to replace the original jack on my 2014 19 with one purchased from ETI. The replacement has a much lower gear ratio, more cranking to lift the same distance, but much easier cranking. So people with newer 19's would have a different jack. The new jack also has a grease nipple that allows you to grease the internal threaded rod without removing the jack.
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote