Pre-Delivery Checklist (Long) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2022, 09:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Pre-Delivery Checklist (Long)

Our 21C should be ready at Chilliwack in Nov. We plan to arrange to do a pre-delivery inspection the day before it is taken to Sumas. Here is the checklist that we will use. We expect it will take several hours, but with all of the current conversation about build quality issues we think it will be worth it

(Feel free to improve, change, amend, etc.)

Be sure to take torque wrench and socket, basic toolbox, AC circuit tester, ammeter, ....

PRE-DELIVERY CHECKLIST:
(This is adapted for our 21C, but should be decent starting point for for a 17 or 19 also)

Left over or ordered extra fabric, flooring, formica, trim wood.
Verify proper formica, flooring, cushion fabric.
Verify all graphics for proper color and spelling
Exterior Zamp port, exterior rear near battery vent
Exterior cable jack
P/S, D/S shower (opt)
Awning operation and fabric
Removable power cord
Propane tanks full (opt)
Sand pads (opt)

Check tires for inflation, damage, date
Exterior hatches (Under bed, under p/s dinette)
Exterior front box- operation, latches, secured to frame
Water fill from campground functional

Water heater hatch
Refrigerator hatches
Exterior power outlets (AC and DC)

Exterior lights (All LED)
Stop lights
Tail lights
Turn signals
Backup lights
Running lights
Exterior door light
Front box light (opt)
Over spare tire (opt)
Over sewer drain area

Entry step level and stable
Entry handle stable

Batteries: Standard batteries or Lithium batteries (opt)
Shunt, battery controller
Inverter (opt)
Power Center (opt)
Solar panel functional

Full height cabinet at foot of bed (opt)
Check both tables for stability, proper movement.

Indoor lights (verify all LED)
Captains lights-Dinette and Bed, with USB plugs
Stove light
O/h both benches, kitchen counter, bed, bath, dinette table, overhead center of aisle

Indoor AC plugs
std) Face of kitchen counter, face of p/s bench, microwave cabinet, drawer stack at foot of bed, d/s o/h cabinet, Exterior p/s below window
(opt) Dividing wall, end of kitchen counter, face of dinette bench face of d/s o/h cabinet, foot of bed, face of o/h cabinet over bed on bath wall
Indoor DC plugs
(std) Foot of bed
(opt) End of kitchen counter, p/s bench face, dividing wall, o/h cabinet, d/s bench face, o/h cabinet, kitchen below counter top
(There are also two opt exterior plugs)
Indoor USB plugs: (std) Each captain's light

Reinforced walls (opt)

Water pump operation- Check all connections for leaks. Pump cycling?
Kitchen faucet, outside showers

Water heater operation, delivery to all faucets
Hot water heater by-pass valve (?)

Bathroom:
Check plumbing connections on sink and shower (pump on)
Foot flush functions
Bathroom light
Sink and floor drains caulked and sealed. Drain plugs present
Toilet shutoff valve

Furnace operation- ignites and fan runs

Refrigerator operation-AC and Propane (12v?)
Door latch and lock operation. Hinges stable
Screen door present and not damaged
Test Break-away switch
Get backup sail switch
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Ah, the advantage of only living an hour away from ETI. I can just skip orientation, hook up and go.

I have had a couple of items that later needed attention, but they weren't items that would have been defective at delivery time.

But, with the border and distance, a good look over is a good idea. I think you'll find that they do a pretty good job of giving you what you ordered.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #3

Actually, I am quite optimistic. TX is just a long ways from Chilliwack.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Actually, I am quite optimistic. TX is just a long ways from Chilliwack.
We're almost neighbors...we are in San Antonio. I wanted to go to Chilliwack, but our 21NE was ready in April 2021 when the border was still closed. We wound up having it shipped to Salt Lake City and picked it up there...awesome trip home through Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. You'll love it! "Fiona" has been perfect for us without a single issue. We leave on Friday for 2 weeks to Great Smoky Mountain NP. Maybe we'll see you around Texas sometime.
GregColdewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:04 PM   #5
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
We will be picking up our 21C later this week, so I'll print this out and if I remember (a big "if") I'll try to use this as we go through it. This is our second Escape, but first with the new ownership. I expressed some concerns to Escape during the option selection process about some of the build quality issues we had been hearing about and explained we would be going over everything carefully. Hopefully I won't have need for a plum line.

As Ron said, there are some things that may not show up until you drive / use it for a bit. Although we do not expect to find anything, we do hope a good review of the fit/finish during the inspection will ensure we catch any major issues before we take delivery.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I don't see an Air Conditioner on your list, so I assume you are not getting one installed by ETI? If you are, I would check that as well. If not, make sure it is wired for one in case you decide to put one in later.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
We will be picking up our 21C later this week, so I'll print this out and if I remember (a big "if") I'll try to use this as we go through it. This is our second Escape, but first with the new ownership. I expressed some concerns to Escape during the option selection process about some of the build quality issues we had been hearing about and explained we would be going over everything carefully. Hopefully I won't have need for a plum line.

As Ron said, there are some things that may not show up until you drive / use it for a bit. Although we do not expect to find anything, we do hope a good review of the fit/finish during the inspection will ensure we catch any major issues before we take delivery.

Great, hope it helps.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
I don't see an Air Conditioner on your list, so I assume you are not getting one installed by ETI? If you are, I would check that as well. If not, make sure it is wired for one in case you decide to put one in later.

You are correct, we have a RecPro Houghton quiet ac in the garage to be installed when we get back. All Escapes are wired for an ac, even if one is not installed. The opening is the correct standard size, just covered with a plastic dome.

But I should have put it in the list for others to use.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE
What model Houghton did you choose? Just wondering if the RP-AC3501 will be sufficient for our 21NE when the time comes to replace our Dometic.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
What model Houghton did you choose? Just wondering if the RP-AC3501 will be sufficient for our 21NE when the time comes to replace our Dometic.

We got the 9500. (Don't know the RP#). Given the research I think it will be enough. Did not want to chance too large with cycling on/off.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 21
Quote:
We got the 9500. (Don't know the RP#). Given the research I think it will be enough. Did not want to chance too large with cycling on/off.
I installed the houghton 9500 on our 21 n it keeps us plenty cool I like cold at night to sleep and it does the job. Best of all it’s very quite
Old 09-20-2022, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
I installed the houghton 9500 on our 21 n it keeps us plenty cool I like cold at night to sleep and it does the job. Best of all it’s very quite

Great to hear, thanks.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
we got the 9500. (don't know the rp#).
rp-ac2801
Old 09-20-2022, 10:15 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA
https://youtu.be/Lhkslyc6clw
Old 09-21-2022, 07:43 AM   #15

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Pick Up Check List

When we picked up our trailer we went straight to Osoyoos for Escape rally.
We found more problems than what we uncovered during pick up.
Here is a list of things we had to get fixed after rally.
Bottom floor of fridge was dented inward preventing crisper drawers from being able to be removed, they replaced fridge.
Front jack switch's were wired opposite , left was right and right was left, rewired.
Door was very hard to latch had to slam it, thought it would improve after seal was broken in but it did not, they had to remove door to replace fridge so it was corrected at same time.
Check water heater operation on ac and on propane, do ac first as it takes the most time, ours would not work on ac so they had to replace wiring.
One of our captain lights usb port was not working so they replaced it.
Hope fully you have better luck.
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #16

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Our 21C should be ready at Chilliwack in Nov. We plan to arrange to do a pre-delivery inspection the day before it is taken to Sumas. Here is the checklist that we will use. We expect it will take several hours, but with all of the current conversation about build quality issues we think it will be worth it
That is a lengthy list to check onsite at ETI. Did they agree to provide you with 120V power and water?
Old 10-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2023 Escape 17B
production quality

We just put a deposit down for a 17B so am doing a lot of reading to learn as much as we can before we get to the build. I've seen multiple mentions about production quality being an issue of late. Can anyone expand on what these issues are and are they new since the ownership change? Would like to know what we should be looking out for. Just found out about the change in ownership recently as well. This happened with the Little Guy trailers we were looking at- bought a few years ago and many issues reported with construction since. Especially since Covid years...many people have said don't buy anything that was made in the covid years. Thank you
peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That is a lengthy list to check onsite at ETI. Did they agree to provide you with 120V power and water?

From ETI: "We winterize all of our trailers starting November 1st, so once your trailer is completed it would be winterized already, which means there will be no water in it. As for electricity, it wont be plugged in or anything, but your batteries will be fully charged for you. "

Sounds like neither water or AC will be available. Guess it means a two part inspection, with the final at a nearby campground
Old 10-12-2022, 10:22 PM   #19
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
One comment I will add to this is don’t turn over your check for full payment until you have the opportunity to do a detailed inspection of the trailer. Just don’t. We were extremely disappointed the way our whole delivery and inspection went, but I had already handed over the check. I’ll write a separate post about all that after I have a month or two to cool down (hoping 12 days in Hawaii will do that!) and attempt to write an unemotional review (there are good things to report as well). But in the mean time as long as you are holding the check, you have more leverage. Remember, this is no longer the company owned by Reece and Tammy, it is a corporation, so the extra care and attention have been replaced with get it out the door and let the customer (under warranty hopefully) fix it later.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
One comment I will add to this is don’t turn over your check for full payment until you have the opportunity to do a detailed inspection of the trailer. Just don’t. We were extremely disappointed the way our whole delivery and inspection went, but I had already handed over the check. I’ll write a separate post about all that after I have a month or two to cool down (hoping 12 days in Hawaii will do that!) and attempt to write an unemotional review (there are good things to report as well). But in the mean time as long as you are holding the check, you have more leverage. Remember, this is no longer the company owned by Reece and Tammy, it is a corporation, so the extra care and attention have been replaced with get it out the door and let the customer (under warranty hopefully) fix it later.
Sorry for your troubles. Please do come back and post your experience--and link it to this thread; it's a valuable lesson for all of us and could save many people a lot of grief down the road.

From the rather dramatic increase in complaints it sure looks like Escape has joined the ranks of many rv manufacturers in putting out "Covid models" and units that are "within Covid tolerances." Sad.
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote