Prewire for Solar with Roofmount MC4 Connect $200 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
There is space down low between the exterior shell and bath shell. Some existing wiring runs there. Pretty easy to run wires with a metal fish from front DS dinette to under fridge.
Dave maybe , maybe not . Not possible in our case because of extra ply way back in 2013 we had installed in our trailer . Couldn’t get pass it . I used the exterior solar cover as mentioned before with a hole cut in the roof . Ran wires down the dinette corner under the covering which is easy to remove and put back . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ran wires down the dinette corner under the covering which is easy to remove and put back.
I'm looking to take this approach too on my 21C. Any details on how that cover comes off and back on? I'm always weary of pulling things apart without knowing how they go back on!

Also, how are you all anchoring the MC4 wires on the roof? I see in pictures what look like zip-ties and mounts, but search as I may, I have not found any mounts that look to be sticky enough to stay in place. Are there mounts without tape already applied, that can be coupled with VHB?
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
I'm looking to take this approach too on my 21C. Any details on how that cover comes off and back on? I'm always weary of pulling things apart without knowing how they go back on!

Also, how are you all anchoring the MC4 wires on the roof? I see in pictures what look like zip-ties and mounts, but search as I may, I have not found any mounts that look to be sticky enough to stay in place. Are there mounts without tape already applied, that can be coupled with VHB?
Hi yes so easy to get in the corner access . Remove the buttons , a little knife etc . under are screws that attach to a wood little block . Pull down the vinyl covering . Now you can hide your wires . I think I just taped them down along the sides of the wood block , still being covered with vinyl when I put that back .
As for the mounts I cut some ethernabond tape Hope I spelled it right ! made a hole in middle for the cable tie mount to poke through and then adhere to trailer . Where you attach make sure to clean with acetone etc. it will stick really good . Pat
Old 12-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
As for the mounts I cut some Eternabond tape Hope I spelled it right ! made a hole in middle for the cable tie mount to poke through and then adhere to trailer . Where you attach make sure to clean with acetone etc. it will stick really good . Pat
I used 3M 5200 to attach the cable tie mounts after removing the double side tape and cleaning with solvent. The Eternabond tape probably works as good or better - both are going to be fun to get off if we need to.

If any of the mounts on my trailer come loose again, I think I'll go back with the Eternabond.

The double sided tape that the mounts came with didn't hold very long at all.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I used 3M 5200 to attach the cable tie mounts after removing the double side tape and cleaning with solvent. The Eternabond tape probably works as good or better - both are going to be fun to get off if we need to.

If any of the mounts on my trailer come loose again, I think I'll go back with the Eternabond.

The double sided tape that the mounts came with didn't hold very long at all.
Hi Tom ! Yes the tape on the back of the mounts will not hold for sure . But that Eternabond works great and still holding . Got to say Dave Walters gave me the idea . We were installing our solar at the same time and he had a lot of great tips! Pat
Old 12-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #46

Patandlinda and tdf-texas!
Old 12-31-2020, 05:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Patandlinda and tdf-texas!
Best part of the forum ! Pat
Old 12-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I don't know what they are doing on the current trailers, but ETI had zip tied MC4 connectors to one of the panel mounts and had left the wires running to the fridge vent loose. This caused tremendous buffeting in the wind that eventually cracked both MC4 connectors. (1st Pic)
I ultimately removed the MC4 connectors, as AMSolar does, spliced and heat shrunk the panel wires. Then put cable ties along the roof with vhb tape so that the wires aren't slapping around up there any more.
Attached Thumbnails
20161204_135941.jpg   IMG_3090.jpg   IMG_3089.jpg   IMG_3091.jpg  
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #49

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Dave maybe , maybe not . Not possible in our case because of extra ply way back in 2013 we had installed in our trailer . Couldn’t get pass it . I used the exterior solar cover as mentioned before with a hole cut in the roof . Ran wires down the dinette corner under the covering which is easy to remove and put back . Pat
Got it Pat. May be different if you had that wall reinforced.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Got it Pat. May be different if you had that wall reinforced.
Hi Dave we have 3 60 watt panels and one is in front , one middle between ac and fan , one at rear . So best was to go through corner driver side dinette and then down into the dinette seating area .Victron controller is under driver passenger seat , batteries in front box . Really don’t put much in driver side dinette seating . Kind of all the electronics in there . Everything Escape installed and what I put in there . So best place to install for us .
Remember the problem wiring up the fan in bath . Couldn’t get pass that ply but I solved it .
Happy New year to you Dave and I never can forget your gift to us ! Pat
Old 01-01-2021, 09:04 AM   #51

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Remember the problem wiring up the fan in bath . Couldn’t get pass that ply but I solved it .
Is there a link that describes getting past the ply, or would you describe how you did it?
Old 01-01-2021, 02:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Ran wires down the dinette corner under the covering which is easy to remove and put back . Pat
I got out today and took a look at everything. The only unexpected hickup is that the corner of the trailer to run the wires down is blocked off. Tip on removing this without destroying it? (It's so hidden, I'm okay with destroying and replacing with something else if I have to. )
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20210101_183703251.jpg  
Old 01-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #53

Quote:
I got out today and took a look at everything. The only unexpected hickup is that the corner of the trailer to run the wires down is blocked off. Tip on removing this without destroying it? (It's so hidden, I'm okay with destroying and replacing with something else if I have to. )
Ok I went down the corner next to the shower wall . You know what give me a few minutes and I will get you some pictures . Pat
Old 01-01-2021, 02:54 PM   #54

Quote:
I have for the radio I installed and other places in trailer removed the panels by gently rocking back and forth and was able to reinstall . Pat
Old 01-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #55

Quote:
of. Here are a few pictures Pat
Attached Thumbnails
5573849C-186D-4E5F-8723-0D09E6E73D18.jpg   545D4B50-03E8-4557-8C31-3D67E201417E.jpg   115D07F0-D5AF-46F3-ADB7-81487D137DBF.jpg   B8959323-1A1A-4ECC-9856-34C0C2102795.jpg  
Old 01-01-2021, 03:10 PM   #56

Quote:
of. Here are a few pictures Pat
Years before I had raised our seating so that is why you see the extra wood framing . We also have a platform for our feet . I think you can see all of this in Patandlinda Escape modifications . There are a bunch of photo’s . Pat
Old 01-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I had to run some wiring through the same corner in my trailer. It's stapled and glued in besides being hard to reach so - I drilled a 1 1/2" hole where I wanted my wiring to go and used a wire grommet to cover the hole.

The 1 1/2" hole was big enough I could use a fish tape to get the wires though it. The grommet I used snapped into the paneling perfect and made the whole thing look right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
grommet.jpg  
Old 01-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #58

The panel already has some rough holes with wires traveling through. I guess when the time comes I'll try fishing through those, then try prying, then as a last resort cut a better fishing hole. Options! :-D

Good positioning to drill through the roof from in that rear passenger-side cabinet, right? (Sanity check.)

We realized that we're never going to use our TV antenna (came with second-hand trailer), so going to remove that sucker, seal it up, and put a 100W panel right over the patch. Bigger panel and no shadow - it'll be awesome. (Also still 80W on the rear, but A/C will sometimes shadow it.)
Old 01-01-2021, 04:40 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Is there a link that describes getting past the ply, or would you describe how you did it?
Sorry just saw . Trying to do lots ! If you go to search on Escape They gave me my own thread Patandlinda Escape modifications . There are lots of threads to go through . If not there and I would of posted pics too . Please let me know and I will go through pics on our computer for you. It is somewhere . It will show you how I did . Hope this helps you right now . Pat
Old 01-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #60

Quote:
I see you have a 21 but most of the trailers have same construction . There are differences from earlier trailers and models of course . But Ron in BC told me how easy
To remove those panels without breaking if you don’t want that to happen . I see a couple places to grab and gently rock back and forth . They usually use a little glue and staples . When I put back I use screws . I have removed all over the trailer . Don’t be afraid . Hey can always cut a new piece . And don’t be afraid of hole in roof , there are so many great sealants and no one will see anyway . Believe I am anal but gave up a long time worrying about that. There are so many things most of us have to redo or make better anyway. On the roof my hole for solar is the cover plate Tom showed you . You have vents and all kinds of things on your roof . Pat