Telescoping pole for camp locator LED light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Telescoping pole for camp locator LED light

Hi all

I’m thinking about buying (splurging on) a 12v TribalWhip 3’ Aurora R65 camp locator. Handy for places like the Quartzite rally when there are many trailers, the many paths sometimes look similar....

It can do various fun animations, and do occasional double duty as a durable 3’ LED area light. I could put a medium Command hook up high, on a side of the escape, and use it there on occasion.

My plan is to wire it with a 12v cigarette plug… as long as I get word back from ETI that their 12v exterior plug could handle 10 amps. (TribalWhip told me 10 amp draw max)

It can also do various solid colors.
White and amber (only) have a high and low brightness setting.
My research shows that amber light does not usually attract bugs, but white does.
The 3’ LED camp locator itself weighs 1 lb.

Not cheap - the 3' camp locator with the waterproof animator box + remote it is $116 USD.

so....

TribalWhip doesn’t sell telescoping poles, but they recommended these ones from a different company. I’d get the 16’ one probably. (seemingly the shortest they sell)

Poles and Holders :: Poles :: PNH-16- Deluxe (**NEW & VERY POPULAR**) Flag Pole - Your place for Flag Poles, Flags and Mountings

$50 for the pole, plus $25 for the mount that I’d likely stick on the rear bumper of our forthcoming 2017 21’

http://www.polesandholders.com/produ...9&cat=2&page=1

My question is - does anyone have any recommendations on a suitable yet slightly cheaper telescoping pole option to keep a 1 lb camp locator above an Escape?
Bonus points for included bumper or frame mount.
The $75 pole + mount combo seems like overkill, in both length and strength, somehow.

We tow using an SUV... so the camp locator pole does need to collapse to be out of the way when not in use.
On the floor of the Escape during transit days would not pass muster with my better half.

Here is a demo video here that someone took, complete with crazy sound effects they added in (the camp locator is silent)

thanks.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote