The weight/mass of each option - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
The weight/mass of each option

I've been looking in vain for a resource that tells the weight or mass of each possible option. I've tried the Escape website, and this forum in the "Shopping" section and the "Files". Basically I'd like to make up different combinations of builds and see the estimated shipping weight ( = dry weight plus options), much as we can see the cost of all our options combined in the "Build your Escape" section of their website.

If I can find the weight of each option I might try to make a spreadsheet to share as a planning tool. Can anyone please point me in the direction to find option weights?
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I doubt you’ll find a detailed list unless someone previously put one together. You can probably piece it together with pretty good accuracy. Helps to know brand/model of what ETI uses. For example:

-Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTU A/C 100#
-1500W GoPower inverter 10# and WFCO T-30 transfer switch 5# + add some for sub panel and add’l wiring
-GoPower 190W Overlander solar kit 27# for panel, 1# for controller + add some for wiring/misc parts
-Reinforced walls 25# each
-Dual 6V Interstate GC2 lead acid batteries 130#
-GoPower 100AH lithium battery 36#
-Hot water heater with electric option 37.4#; without electric option 33.3#
-Springfield Table pedestal 15#
-Progressive Industries HWC30 EMS 3.5#

Etc. Etc.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #3

Excellent suggestion, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I doubt you’ll find a detailed list unless someone previously put one together. You can probably piece it together with pretty good accuracy. Helps to know brand/model of what ETI uses. For example:

-Dometic Penguin 11,000 BTU A/C 100#
-1500W GoPower inverter 10# and WFCO T-30 transfer switch 5# + add some for sub panel and add’l wiring
-GoPower 190W Overlander solar kit 27# for panel, 1# for controller + add some for wiring/misc parts
-Reinforced walls 25# each
-Dual 6V Interstate GC2 lead acid batteries 130#
-GoPower 100AH lithium battery 36#
-Hot water heater with electric option 37.4#; without electric option 33.3#
-Springfield Table pedestal 15#
-Progressive Industries HWC30 EMS 3.5#

Etc. Etc.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small but Sweet View Post
I've been looking in vain for a resource that tells the weight or mass of each possible option. I've tried the Escape website, and this forum in the "Shopping" section and the "Files". Basically I'd like to make up different combinations of builds and see the estimated shipping weight ( = dry weight plus options), much as we can see the cost of all our options combined in the "Build your Escape" section of their website.

If I can find the weight of each option I might try to make a spreadsheet to share as a planning tool. Can anyone please point me in the direction to find option weights?
You are so wise to think of all the added weight of things before ordering all the options. We were not as prudent as you... but since you are going to all the trouble of adding up weights, just wanted to point out that the optional bathroom reinforced wall (wall #6) next to the bed in the 21C is an extra 50lbs. All other reinforced walls (in the 21C) are an extra 25lbs.

After we received our trailer, we suggested to ETI that they list the weights of all the extra options, next to the prices on future customer build sheets, especially for the larger/heavier options like the 100 lb AC unit. May not make a difference for some but we would've found it helpful. If you come up with a cohesive weight list, feel free to share! Thanks, -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Escape Trailer Industries has a detailed list - that's how they anticipate the completed weight of your trailer, based on the options chosen. Unfortunately, they don't publish it (so you won't find it on their website) and it would be a lot of work to assemble one.

The other bit of related information that could be assembled in the same way is the position of each option, meaning the distance from some reference point (coupler, bumper, axle...) of the centre of mass. With that, a simple spreadsheet could calculate both the complete weight of the trailer and the tongue weight. I'm sure that no one has assembled that information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:44 PM   #6

I think my best bet now is to look at the inventory offerings, and then add or subtract accordingly for the things I plan to have, if I can find or approximate the weights. I think they're only planning this run of inventory equipment through July so I wish I'd thought of this much sooner. I looked at the 21NE for today, and took note of the weight... I plan to have no AC but lead batteries so I figure that's minus 100 and plus 100. And so on!

I wish that the "Build Your Escape" estimator tool had a shipping weight function. I'd be happy with any disclaimer that it's not accurate but would be very nice for the comparisons.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Escape Trailer Industries has a detailed list - that's how they anticipate the completed weight of your trailer, based on the options chosen. Unfortunately, they don't publish it (so you won't find it on their website) and it would be a lot of work to assemble one.

The other bit of related information that could be assembled in the same way is the position of each option, meaning the distance from some reference point (coupler, bumper, axle...) of the centre of mass. With that, a simple spreadsheet could calculate both the complete weight of the trailer and the tongue weight. I'm sure that no one has assembled that information.
Gosh yes that would be useful and also quite do-able given that the information all exists. A pleasant first-year engineering exercise. I'd gladly do that and take one for the team if I had access to the component weights.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I spoke with Karl about making a calc engine for the website estimator that would add each option selection to the base weight, and he said he’s thought of that but that suppliers could vary so might affect accuracy.

But it would be nice, wouldn’t it?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I spoke with Karl about making a calc engine for the website estimator that would add each option selection to the base weight, and he said he’s thought of that but that suppliers could vary so might affect accuracy.

But it would be nice, wouldn’t it?
Yes, would be very nice. I’d be happy even with a pretty wide margin of error. There’s only a few really big/heavy variable options, like AC, battery and fridge choice, and many structural ones like reinforced walls and dining booth choices are within the control of Escape. I think it would be helpful at the configuration stage, for those who are weight sensitive.

For now I’m taking the inventory listings' weights as my starting point. That’s nice that Karl has already had this in mind.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Does that mean that ETI weighs each trailer on a scale to get the completed weight for that specific trailer, or that the approximation which is good enough for determination of the completed weight given to the customer is not good enough to give the customer in advance?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Gosh yes that would be useful and also quite do-able given that the information all exists. A pleasant first-year engineering exercise. I'd gladly do that and take one for the team if I had access to the component weights.
Is all of this so you can feel safe towing a Gen2 21 with your 2012 Highlander?
Old 06-12-2021, 11:44 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Somebody needs to calibrate all these weighty topics on the forum and provide a spreadsheet.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:18 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
I think my best bet now is to look at the inventory offerings, and then add or subtract accordingly for the things I plan to have, if I can find or approximate the weights.
Good luck with that.

Just for grins I compared my final build sheet "shipping weight" with another from inventory I'd saved. Both are 2021 5.0 with stated "Trailer Dry Weight (Base)= 3910#". The listed shipping weights are 4002# and 4183# respectively (+181# for the inventory unit).

Options common to both are ignored.

Here's what mine has that the inventory unit does not:
  • Reinforced bath wall #5 (+25# per ETI configuration guide)
Here's what the inventory unit has that mine does not:
  • dual 6v batteries (vs standard 1x12V)
  • 3 burner range + oven (vs standard 2 burner, no oven)
  • oversize "7cuft" 3-way fridge (vs standard "6cuft" 3-way)
  • inverter with transfer switch
  • 190w solar panel
  • EMS surge protector
  • AC dometic 11kBTU
  • stereo dvd w/4 speakers
  • ss backsplash in kitchen
Interstate specs say the battery difference alone accounts for +74#, subtract the 25# wall in mine, that leaves 132# for all of the rest of the additional items.

Make of that what you will , Have Fun!
Old 06-13-2021, 07:33 AM   #14

A cynical person might think that a marketing type had thought that perhaps calling attention to the weight of option$ might deter the customer from purchasing option$.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you may diet!!!

Hi: All... This thread is to weighty an option. I'll just keep the fridge full of light beer and stay on the slim-fast diet!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
A cynical person might think that a marketing type had thought that perhaps calling attention to the weight of option$ might deter the customer from purchasing option$.
This has proven to not be true as many have opted for unneeded wall reinforcing knowing full well it adds to the weight of the trailer. While some do need some in one wall possibly, many just get all the walls done.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This has proven to not be true as many have opted for unneeded wall reinforcing knowing full well it adds to the weight of the trailer. While some do need some in one wall possibly, many just get all the walls done.
I object. Proven? No facts in evidence! 'Some' need one wall. 'Many' get all walls. The statement is vague, circumstantial and clearly hearsay. I move to exclude it.

I watch all the 'Law and Order' reruns!
Old 06-13-2021, 12:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Proven? No facts in evidence! 'Some' need one wall. 'Many' get all walls. The 'evidence' is vague and circumstantial and I move to exclude it.

I watch all the 'Law and Order' reruns!
While you discredit my opinion, you might want to go back through all the posts on it and talk to Reace about it as I have done.

Or is this just a grammatical jab? I do often fall short there.

Sorry, not at TV fan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
While you discredit my opinion, you might want to go back through all the posts on it and talk to Reace about it as I have done.

Or is this just a grammatical jab? I do often fall short there.

Sorry, not at TV fan.
My response was just a bit of fun but you didn't express an opinion, you stated it was 'proven'.

How does one talk to Reace these days?
Old 06-13-2021, 03:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2018 17A
I asked about that when we got our 17A. I was told "It's a calculated weight."
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote