U-shaped Dinette Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had the standard dinette in our 17B; U-shape now in the 21. We started with no table and one 12" filler board & cushion from ETI. Later we added a second 12" filler board and cushion to be able to make a bed. We never installed the ETI dinette table. Then we decided to go Springfield with a 23.5 deep table and it does the job for the lounge and dinette table.

If I had to do over I would have skipped the U-dinette and enjoyed greater overall foot area in that relatively small space and had a bit larger table- not the standard ETI as it is just too massive and heavy IMO.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Just rotate the jack head 90 degrees that all u need to do

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:37 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I absolutely LOVE the u-shaped dinette in our 21. Before ordering we measured it out, using our couch and boxes so I could see the actual size since at the time ETI didn't have a display model with that dinette. We got the standard table but did not have it installed, along with the mounting hardware on the floor. They're in the attic collecting dust. We added a flip up table on either end of the dinette. When I want to eat, I set up a folding TV tray. If I have a friend over (or husband with me) and it's crappy outside, we can each eat at a flip up table. Kind of weird angle, but it works. I usually stash my drink, travel alarm, etc on the flip up table.

Most of the time, when I use the dinette, I'm lounging as I love to read and getting away in the trailer is Laura Time (as Dirk calls it) and it's very peaceful to sit there in the evenings and read.

If it's crappy weather outside and I can't use my Clam shelter, I can still craft at the dinette with either the folding TV tray or a slightly bigger plastic folding table. I have some thick reading-in-bed pillows from the Select Comfort store for when I'm reading and I put one behind me when I'm crafting so I have some back support.

We got two filler boards and I use one all the time. The second is for sleeping on the dinette to give extra space.

Here's some old photos of the dinette. I eventually switched out the foam with much firmer foam as my butt and back were getting sore from not enough support.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05374.jpg   DSC05375.jpg   DSC05378.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 11:49 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
U shape dinette options

so great pictures and ideas here.... i have my 21c delivered next week so in my build i had ordered two square cushions to match the dinette and they are throwing in for free a piece of maple veneer for between the two benches--went for no u shape as i wanted the longer dining table-- my modification at least in my head is to fill the back wall with two movable cubes -which will act as storage and flip the cushion over you have a little coffee table -- move it outside for sitting ... i also had them not put the floor mounts for the stands as i wish to add folding table legs with along with the cubes can be used for outdoor use-- for the optional u shape dinette cubes line the back wall and i will cut the table and attach a piano hinge so i have the option to shorten the table in order to accommodate the u shape --- won't know if that works or not but that is the plan--- thanx-- i will add pictures if this works... thanx
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I love the look of the U-shaped dinette, as well as the additional storage area it provides/ Other than that I see no benefit to it. The negatives are reduced foot room and a slightly smaller table. Plus, it makes no sense at all for seating, why remove side room to gain really tight rear seating?

We are very social folks and have had four people sitting at our U-shaped dinette on many, many occasions, for eating, socializing or playing games, and the table is big enough to do that.

If I was doing it again, I would likely just get regular benches as the wee bit of extra storage pales to the gain in floor and table space. Of course, some folks seem to not need table space for stuff, but that is just not our style.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhcolot View Post
We are working on our 5.0 build sheet with Joldie and have a question regarding the u-shaped dinette that we are getting. I believe it is the same size in the 5.0 as the 21c. My question is this-Joldie asked us if we wanted a 12", 15" or 18" filler board to make it into more of a lounge area. Wondering if anyone that has a u-shaped dinette in one of these models with filler board and cushion of ANY size would be willing to share a photo and/or opinion on the size they chose and the usefulness of that size.
Hi: okcolot... Since our 2014 5.0TA was #2 out of the mold the choices were "U" shaped table or wall mount table. Our 5.0 had the "U" so we have one again. We like the fact the table is somewhat smaller and easier to remove for lounging. I made a 12" wide filler board that works with the standard small dinette cushions and uses only 1 table leg. Our table slides for and aft, rather than side to side. It's quite secure but restricts the knee room while dining. In a pinch you could sleep under the table therefore we use it very little. I'm still considering buying and installing the Legun table leg and getting rid of the floor cones altogether. When you have a table that converts to make a bed there are stability issues!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
MarineTeak closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
There have been a couple of expandable tables that add flexibility to seating and eating. I have a sliding table from Marine Teak. While it appears that my model is no longer offered, if I was to do it over, I'd purchase the Nautic Star Wing version - the slides on mine tend to bind. That said, the advantage is the table goes from 22" X 49" closed to 44" X 49" in the open position.
As of my visit to the MarineTeak site this morning, the message is:
"Marine Teak is now closed. Thank you to all of our customers over the years - please keep safe!"

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:45 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I love the look of the U-shaped dinette, as well as the additional storage area it provides/ Other than that I see no benefit to it. The negatives are reduced foot room and a slightly smaller table. Plus, it makes no sense at all for seating, why remove side room to gain really tight rear seating?
The first 5.0TA I saw (Alf’s) had a table that slid front-to-back. By sliding the table all the way to the back, it was easy to get onto the side benches. Then by sliding the table forward, it was easy to move to the rear. With the table in its forward position the rear seating is no longer tight; it is very comfortable and usable. When I took delivery of my own trailer, ETI had installed the table so that it slid side-to-side. I hated it and reoriented the guides so that it would slide front-to-back. I do not know why ETI made the change, but IMO it was a change for the worse. YMMV!
Old 02-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Super helpful everyone! We have made our decision and sign off tomorrow. With the lagun mount it's a smaller table and it will slide side to side and up and down, so I think it will be a good pairing with the u-shaped dinette since we won't be using it as a bed much. It seems like the Springfield would be a better choice if one is using it as a bed frequently.
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #30

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
As of my visit to the MarineTeak site this morning, the message is:
"Marine Teak is now closed. Thank you to all of our customers over the years - please keep safe!"

73/gus
I have purchased form Marine Teak before (at one point is was the best/only place to get the Lagun mount), but most of their tabletops are also sold on ebay in a greater number of configurations by the exporters. I'm assuming that they are still available there.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote