Weight exceeding GVWR of trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Weight exceeding GVWR of trailer

Looking at the spreadsheet for "trailer weights in the real world" it shows that the 2nd generation 21' Escapes are weighing 4600lbs or more when camp ready. Some are over 5,000lbs. I believe these weights are without occupants but not positive.

My question is: what is the effect of weight exceeding the 5,000lb GVWR if it's parked (camping). Is it probably ok to go a little over or would someone be damaging the axles or something else in the trailer?

I ask because the shipping weight of the 21NE is listed at about 3,900lbs for most of the inventory trailers that went out earlier this year. That doesn't leave much cargo capacity for a family of four with a large dog. I hadn't thought it to be a big deal until I saw the weights in the spreadsheet and realized the trailers are within 400lbs before occupants. That would probably put us 350lbs overweight im guessing.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
What/where is this spreadsheet you're referring to?
Old 08-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
No negative effect on the trailer when you’re parked and camping. Just your weight going down the road on the way to camp. Those are 3500 lb. axles so 7,000 lbs.capacity and your tires are about 2000 lbs + or - each. It’s good to know those things. People usually get “into trouble” if you want to call it that with the tow vehicle weight capacity with 500 lbs tongue weight, driver and passengers and all the camping “stuff” in the “back “SUV or pickup truck”. That’s my take on it. We have an original 21 that weighs 4360 ready for a three week trip, 500 lb tongue weight. On the scale we are at (87%) of capacity for the Highlander and about 11% tongue weight of total. Trailer weights in the real world is on Fiberglass RV forum. Kurt Vonnegut honed his writing skills at the University of Iowa back in the day.
Tows very well and dead level with the WDH. Weigh your trailer and tow rig on a CAT scale at a truck stop, get the ticket(s) and use them to adjust your load accordingly.
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
What/where is this spreadsheet you're referring to?

It's a list of trailer weigh ins from rallies over the years. Started on the fiberglass RV forum as a text list and has been converted to a spreadsheet. Here is a link to the thread

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-43010-21.html

And here is a link to the actual spreadsheet that was uploaded by Jon Vermilye

http://lakeshoreimages.com/spreadsheets/Weight.xlsx
Old 08-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
No negative effect on the trailer when you’re parked and camping. Just your weight going down the road on the way to camp. Those are 3500 lb. axles so 7,000 lbs.capacity and your tires are about 2000 lbs + or - each. It’s good to know those things. People usually get “into trouble” if you want to call it that with the tow vehicle weight capacity with 500 lbs tongue weight, driver and passengers and all the camping “stuff” in the “back “SUV or pickup truck”. That’s my take on it. We have an original 21 that weighs 4360 ready for a three week trip, 500 lb tongue weight. On the scale we are at (87%) of capacity for the Highlander and about 13% tongue weight of total. Trailer weights in the real world is on Fiberglass RV forum. Kurt Vonnegut honed his writing skills at the University of Iowa back in the day.
Tows very well and dead level with the WDH. Weigh your trailer and tow rig on a CAT scale at a truck stop, get the ticket(s) and use them to adjust your load accordingly.
Hope this helps.
Iowa Dave
Thank you that's good to know we should be fine while parked.

I'm definitely doing my due diligence about the weight while towing.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Sometimes you have to stop and think about how you are loading. We are pretty close on our payload for the truck towing the 5.0TA. I usually put little in the back of truck anytime we tow. Sunday we left for two nights camping taking three grandchildren in the back seat so I piled all our chairs and the "luggage" our daughter brought along in the back with table down, and filled the fresh water tank. This I hoped would reduce the kingpin weight a bit but did not weigh it. The truck bed had only the camping mat, a broom, and propane fire pit.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote