Fuel Prices - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 06:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Fuel Prices

Diesel is now up to 3.09 here in South TX. I think gas was about 2.80. Up over a buck from last year so far .

Other places?
Old 10-11-2021, 08:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Not sure now but on our trip in September to south Fork Co, gas was 3.69 a gallon ughhhhh.

David
Old 10-11-2021, 08:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... The only thing that doesn't change is when your tank's empty... you have to put some in!!! Enjoy the trip. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 10-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Price of fuel has gone up near by 15˘ in the last week or so, and prices are at around $1.40/L.

I know this is not normal for BC prices, but right now in Revelstoke it is $1.65/L. I filled up there at $1.60/L near two weeks ago and my prepaid $200 limit ran out before I was completely full, the most I have ever spent on one tank.

Do remember this is in Canadian Pesos.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-11-2021, 09:33 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Only solution here is buy your gas at the nearest Costco station.
Old 10-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Gasbuddy.com (and Gasbuddy mobile app) helps with the scavenger hunt for lowest price fuel. Not always 100% accurate but more often than not can save a few dollars on a full fill up. The map view gives a good overview of prices nation-wide - zoom in for more regional/local detail.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21C
It's $4.70 here in California, up over a dollar a gallon from a year ago.

2021 21C "Travels with Karma"
GMC Canyon Denali Turbodiesel Long-bed
Old 10-11-2021, 12:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Only solution here is buy your gas at the nearest Costco station.
At Costco in Winnipeg Sat. afternoon we didn't need gas which was 10 cents a litre cheaper than at nearby stations. However the lineup was atrocious, for the first time I'd ever seen there was a fellow directing vehicles into lanes. Prices here went up last week by 10 cents a litre.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
I record the pump price of all 3 grades at every fillup and enter it in my Excel mileage tracking spreadsheet. Easy to generate graphs, the attached just FYI / for grins

(nope, I don't search for the least expensive, I buy based on convenience to my rural location and personal preference; for me gas is just a cost of enjoying my lifestyle and it is what it is - YMMV)
Attached Thumbnails
CENTRAL TEXAS GAS PRICE OVER TIME.jpg  
Old 10-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Costco here is always a few cents per litre less expensive than most (or all other) stations. When the difference gets larger, and when the price has just gone up significantly everywhere, or especially both, the lineups get long. The difference is 12 cents per litre today at our local station, and prices are at a record high level, so I expect the line is long today.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
(nope, I don't search for the least expensive, I buy based on convenience to my rural location and personal preference; for me gas is just a cost of enjoying my lifestyle and it is what it is - YMMV)
Yeah, if you take the typical annual mileage and typical fuel consumption, then fuel should take up about 2-3% of even a median household's annual budget. That's not something I'm shopping super hard on.

I'd also venture that most Escape owners are well above the median household.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
“Costs money to go racin”
Boge Johnson.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Fuel costs on recent trip

We just got back from a month-long trip from NM to the Pacific NW, then Nevada and finally back home. Most we paid for diesel was at a Petro #329 in Wells, NV, $4.09. The pumps were out in the other nearby station so no choice but to buy their expensive fuel. The least expensive was in New Mexico at the beginning of our trip and Colorado Springs at Sinclair $3.19 on our way North. The prices went up steadily during our trip with median cost ~$3.59 as a guess. We drove about 4,800 miles so fuel costs were a significant cost of the trip. We noticed that some stations had diesel priced a little bit below gas which was a pleasant surprise.
Chama
Old 10-11-2021, 04:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We noticed that some stations had diesel priced a little bit below gas which was a pleasant surprise.
Fuel prices vary seasonally. Gasoline can be more expensive in the summer, because (in a normal year) that's when people travel so there is more demand. Diesel can be more expensive in the winter, because diesel production competes with heating fuel production, and of course there's far more heating fuel demand in the winter. Of course most gasoline is used by vehicles operated by individuals, and most diesel is used by commercial vehicles, so relative demand doesn't necessarily simply track the season.

One result is that the price difference between gasoline and diesel varies a lot, and even which one is more expensive can change. I'm not surprised to see diesel less expensive than gasoline (per unit volume) in the summer, although September might be late for that.

I'll also note that these fuels are priced by volume, but for the same volume diesel contains more energy (and more mass), so it should generally be more expensive than gasoline, if buying energy were the only factor.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21 2019
GasBuddy/Cheapest price isn't always the best value though. A recent experience: Needed fuel (diesel for our small car) on a long road trip south to SF and Gasbuddy found a place significantly cheaper about 5 miles away, but still on our route. Upon arriving we found the diesel was a separate set of about 6 pumps with only 1 pickup truck there departing. Some of the pumps had the wrong size filler so we had to reposition to one that would work, which had no shade on a hot day with the family in the car. Then they don't take credit cards at the pump, you have to prepay inside. So I go inside (a longer than typical distance) and tell them I want to fill and they hold onto my card and ID. Go back to the pump and it is dribbling out fuel at a rate of maybe about 1.5 gallons a minute at best. After getting about 6 gallons (which in that car is good for at least 250 miles) the family is hot and complaining so I give up, move the car to the shade, and retrieve my credit card and ID. I would have gladly paid 25 cents more per gallon for a more typical experience, and I realized why that station had no customers despite being the cheapest (and not looking bad from a distance). Needless to say, we didn't stop there on the return trip back north.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel108 View Post
GasBuddy/Cheapest price isn't always the best value though. A recent experience: Needed fuel (diesel for our small car) on a long road trip south to SF and Gasbuddy found a place significantly cheaper about 5 miles away, but still on our route. Upon arriving we found the diesel was a separate set of about 6 pumps with only 1 pickup truck there departing. Some of the pumps had the wrong size filler so we had to reposition to one that would work, which had no shade on a hot day with the family in the car. Then they don't take credit cards at the pump, you have to prepay inside. So I go inside (a longer than typical distance) and tell them I want to fill and they hold onto my card and ID. Go back to the pump and it is dribbling out fuel at a rate of maybe about 1.5 gallons a minute at best. After getting about 6 gallons (which in that car is good for at least 250 miles) the family is hot and complaining so I give up, move the car to the shade, and retrieve my credit card and ID. I would have gladly paid 25 cents more per gallon for a more typical experience, and I realized why that station had no customers despite being the cheapest (and not looking bad from a distance). Needless to say, we didn't stop there on the return trip back north.
No way to know at a strange station but how much diesel they sell should be a consideration. How long has that fuel been in the tank?

There's a station close to here that seldom changes their price and I never see a truck there. Nope!
Old 10-20-2021, 01:43 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Warning and only once: All political posts will be deleted.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Not yet!
Truth hurts, eh Donna D?
Old 10-20-2021, 01:56 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milquetoast View Post
Truth hurts, eh Donna D?
This very well may not be the forum for you. I respectfully suggest you read the Community Rules here: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/m...ork&page=rules
Old 10-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milquetoast View Post
Truth hurts, eh Donna D?
No need to harass the moderators. They have a difficult enough job as it is - and they’re volunteers! They keep this board from becoming unusable. Thanks, Donna. We appreciate all your efforts.
Closed Thread