Advice on different brand - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2022, 07:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Advice on different brand

Looked today and the wait is 2+ years for a new trailer. I don't think my 2006 Jayco has 2 more years in it. Wish I would have found Escape sooner. My biggest reason for an escape is the fiberglass shell with less chances of leaking.

Has anyone heard anything about Sundowner travel trailers? I wonder about the longevity of the aluminum roof and sidewalls and probability of leaks.

https://www.sundownersuperstore.com/...r-rv-zDWj.html
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You might have a look at another post Aerodynamics and your Escapes. I noticed a big improvement on towing our Escape over my square stick built.

I can’t comment about this trailer but when I made my cargo trailer into a camper I found so much wrong behind the walls when I removed them. Floor plywood had big gaps that I could see the ground, wiring was put through sharpe punches holes in the siding, screws holding on the fenders missed all the supports and we’re just held by the skin.

It was very disappointing to read on the Diamond Cargo trailer web page where they lie about the high quality of their product.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
There are always used ones that come up here. Unfortunately many wait too long to buy then lifestyle issues kick in. Have seen quite a few listed here over the last year and also Escape Trailer has a site that lists used trailers too.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
There are always used ones that come up here. Unfortunately many wait too long to buy then lifestyle issues kick in. Have seen quite a few listed here over the last year and also Escape Trailer has a site that lists used trailers too.
I absolutely agree.

Most people are not ready to purchase at a moment's notice, which is required if 'The Early Bird is to get the Worm', so to speak. One guy asked if the price was firm. The trailer was gone before he got his official answer.

Next: Be prepared to travel RIGHT AWAY. Right after you make contact with the owner. You must know the value of what you are considering, because time is of the essence.

Next: MAKE CONTACT WITH THE OWNER. Do this right away and do not stop trying. This is critical. Not doing this is frustrating.

Tie up the sale at first chance. Expect to pay a premium. If everything checks out, buy it. Communication often times becomes difficult at this point. Many times there is a string of requests to the owner that go unanswered because a deal is under way.

I can't remember the official 'shortest time to completed sale' but is isn't long.

If you hang around for while, you will see them come up for sale. You just can't wait.

That's my analysis.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 08:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C -- 2018 GMC Canyon
jump immediately

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I absolutely agree.

Most people are not ready to purchase at a moment's notice, which is required if 'The Early Bird is to get the Worm', so to speak. One guy asked if the price was firm. The trailer was gone before he got his official answer.

Next: Be prepared to travel RIGHT AWAY. Right after you make contact with the owner. You must know the value of what you are considering, because time is of the essence.

Next: MAKE CONTACT WITH THE OWNER. Do this right away and do not stop trying. This is critical. Not doing this is frustrating.

Tie up the sale at first chance. Expect to pay a premium. If everything checks out, buy it. Communication often times becomes difficult at this point. Many times there is a string of requests to the owner that go unanswered because a deal is under way.

I can't remember the official 'shortest time to completed sale' but is isn't long.

If you hang around for while, you will see them come up for sale. You just can't wait.

That's my analysis.
Sound advice
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 09:36 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:

Just the other day a 5.0 was sold within two hours.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Scott View Post
Looked today and the wait is 2+ years for a new trailer. I don't think my 2006 Jayco has 2 more years in it. Wish I would have found Escape sooner. My biggest reason for an escape is the fiberglass shell with less chances of leaking.

Has anyone heard anything about Sundowner travel trailers? I wonder about the longevity of the aluminum roof and sidewalls and probability of leaks.

https://www.sundownersuperstore.com/...r-rv-zDWj.html
Although I don't know anything about them my guess is that they would hold up well.

Very interesting!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
I absolutely agree.

That's my analysis.
Tim is spot on. That's how I got mine...I placed a deposit just to get in line, but had no desire to wait that long...so I just watched and waited and sure enough, a great 5.0 came up for sale about 8 hours away from me. I jumped on it fast, and got it! A key part was making that initial connection with the owner like Tim says, once we had that rapport they were happy to hold it for me and work with me.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
I absolutely agree.

That's my analysis.
Mine sold in 30 minutes
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
I read a post on the IRV forum, written by a fairly new Sundowner owner. He seems happy with his, although he hasn't had it for very long.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks for the replies. We decided we would put a deposit down on a new 5.0 to get ourselves on the list and have subscribed to the Pre-Owned list as well. We have been waiting to put a deposit as when we found Escape they were talking about the Escape 23 which sounds about perfect, but watching the year end Escape video Karl mentioned that the focus was on building to current orders and even when they have the Escape 23 worked out they really don't have any production slots for it.

But, I see the Sundowner trailer is built in Oklahoma and I should find out this week if I am returning to office life or if we are working remotely for another few months. If working remotely we are leaving Michigan for the month of February and working remotely from Arizona. Might have to stop by the Sundowner factory on the way and see if they will give me a peek at how they build them.
Camper Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 09:09 AM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
We decided to upgrade from our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe to get a sleepable front dinette/bed (in addition to the regular bed), and Escape 19s or 21s were my choice. But we wanted to find something by this Spring, not in 2023 or 2024.

A couple of guys on the FiberglassRV Forum recommended we take a look at the inTech Sol lines, which have a good reputation for quality: they are built in a welded-aluminum cage welded to to an aluminum frame. Sides are I think Azdel and fiberglass, and the separate roof is a sheet of fiberglass plus a fiberglass nose with a giant picture window. Their Horizon 19' is more modern and open-feeling than the comparable Escape, and the front dinette makes into a comfortable 48x78" bed.

We now have a deposit on an inTech Sol Horizon that is being shown at the RV expo next month in Springfield (MA), so we can have it by March 1st. It's not a molded-fiberglass trailer, but users like the Horizons a lot. inTech makes a 26' double-axle version called the Terra Oasis, but that one's too big (and expensive) for us.

Longer version of me abandoning the molded-fiberglass world HERE.

The Sundowners look plenty sturdy, Their interior photos make them look dark and depressing, though. Not enough windows?
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Don't abandon us though. I hope you report back with how you like the trailer after some time camping. Having the experience with a Casita first will provide a unique perspective (pros/cons of each) that will be valuable to other members.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I talked to 2 owners that had Safari Condos, both were very happy with the trailers.

https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/

I liked the look of the Lance also.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/

Ultimately, I would put down a deposit and wait. Some people lose interest and back out, some people buy another brand after getting impatient and some find a used unit. Spots on the waiting list seem to get bumped up every 3 months.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I talked to 2 owners that had Safari Condos, both were very happy with the trailers.

https://safaricondo.com/en/caravanes-alto/

I liked the look of the Lance also.

https://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/

Ultimately, I would put down a deposit and wait. Some people lose interest and back out, some people buy another brand after getting impatient and some find a used unit. Spots on the waiting list seem to get bumped up every 3 months.
I have owned 2 Lance trailers, a 1880 and a 1575, nice for a SOB trailer, but still same issues they all will have eventually, leaks. Owning a fiberglass trailer allows peace of mind.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #16

I looked at photos of a couple of Sundowner Trailblazer 1669 trailers. When viewing the outside photos, it struck me that there were no refrigerator vents. That 8 cubic foot fridge must be electric, either AC/DC or AC only. AC/DC wouldn't be bad at all if it has an efficient compressor like the Secop. AC only would be a deal killer for me.

The dark cabinetry and the floorplan (no rear dinette) aren't to my liking, but they're interesting units.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:09 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
We decided to upgrade from our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe to get a sleepable front dinette/bed (in addition to the regular bed), and Escape 19s or 21s were my choice. But we wanted to find something by this Spring, not in 2023 or 2024.

A couple of guys on the FiberglassRV Forum recommended we take a look at the inTech Sol lines, which have a good reputation for quality: they are built in a welded-aluminum cage welded to to an aluminum frame. Sides are I think Azdel and fiberglass, and the separate roof is a sheet of fiberglass plus a fiberglass nose with a giant picture window. Their Horizon 19' is more modern and open-feeling than the comparable Escape, and the front dinette makes into a comfortable 48x78" bed.

We now have a deposit on an inTech Sol Horizon that is being shown at the RV expo next month in Springfield (MA), so we can have it by March 1st. It's not a molded-fiberglass trailer, but users like the Horizons a lot. inTech makes a 26' double-axle version called the Terra Oasis, but that one's too big (and expensive) for us.

The Sundowners look plenty sturdy, Their interior photos make them look dark and depressing, though. Not enough windows?
A friend of mine bought a inTech Sol Eclipse and likes it. He previously had a Casita SD. Good volume, great windows, big bathroom. Limited storage.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:

I love the look of that trailer but two things would concern me.
One is the outside wheel width of the trailer compared to the Escape 19 as we like to travel around the back streets of small towns. Also the total cost of replacing that front window should it get damaged and can it only be replaced at the factory?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I love the look of that trailer but two things would concern me.
One is the outside wheel width of the trailer compared to the Escape 19 as we like to travel around the back streets of small towns. Also the total cost of replacing that front window should it get damaged and can it only be replaced at the factory?
I've had a lot of discussion of the 8.5' width of the outrigger wheels on the FiberglassRV forum, and on the inTech Sol Facebook page. It certainly will take some getting used to, after the inside wheels of my Casita. But overall it's no wider than many utility trailers, and box trucks that make deliveries to plenty of small-town back streets.

The big windshield is automotive-type three-layer safety glass, and can be repaired or replaced by any competent automotive glass company. However, the glass is not a stock item, and anyone servicing it will have to get the replacement from inTech, and it ain't cheap.

There are other trade-offs we'll be making: the Horizon has a combined gray/black tank, not two separate ones (as our Casita and Escape 19s do); the wet bath is bigger, but has no sink in it. There is no closet. It has only a single axle, and an OSB floor, protected by plastic underneath, that is a potential vulnerability, as well as two seams where the sides meet the roof.

On the other hand, the Horizon is more spacious and airy than the E19, with a more appealing U-shaped dinette/bed, a bigger kitchen, and an external griddle/fridge combo option. Most important, it is available this Spring. Might as well make the most of the time I can still crawl around hitching trailers up.
MrLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 11:18 AM   #20

Quote:
I've had a lot of discussion of the 8.5' width of the outrigger wheels on the FiberglassRV forum, and on the inTech Sol Facebook page. It certainly will take some getting used to, after the inside wheels of my Casita. But overall it's no wider than many utility trailers, and box trucks that make deliveries to plenty of small-town back streets.

The big windshield is automotive-type three-layer safety glass, and can be repaired or replaced by any competent automotive glass company. However, the glass is not a stock item, and anyone servicing it will have to get the replacement from inTech, and it ain't cheap.

There are other trade-offs we'll be making: the Horizon has a combined gray/black tank, not two separate ones (as our Casita and Escape 19s do); the wet bath is bigger, but has no sink in it. There is no closet. It has only a single axle, and an OSB floor, protected by plastic underneath, that is a potential vulnerability, as well as two seams where the sides meet the roof.

On the other hand, the Horizon is more spacious and airy than the E19, with a more appealing U-shaped dinette/bed, a bigger kitchen, and an external griddle/fridge combo option. Most important, it is available this Spring. Might as well make the most of the time I can still crawl around hitching trailers up.
An OSB floor with plastic underneath? When moisture gets between the plastic and the OSB, won't the plastic keep it from drying out?

I'm reminded how Eggcamper routinely applied a coat of resin to the top of their plywood floor, but not the bottom; when I asked the owner/builder why, he said moisture has to go someplace.

If I were building and selling a $30,000 trailer and proclaiming how well I build it, I'd at least use marine plywood, or maybe even something like Starboard. But that's just me, I guess.