AGM Battery Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2023, 05:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
AGM Battery Question

I've searched the forum and while I assume something is out there regarding AGM batteries, I can't find anything. I have a 2017 21C and am looking at changing batteries to AGM but don't know what the potential issues will be. Do I need to change settings on anything? Will I be able to fully charge the batteries? It appears that I can get the same physical size as my wet cell batteries so that should not be an issue. Any advice from someone who has made the switch will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Might be some answers for you in this thread AGM vs Standard Battery
Old 04-02-2023, 08:55 PM   #3
LRL

Trailer: 2017-2013: 21C; Arriving 3/2024: Escape 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
I've searched the forum and while I assume something is out there regarding AGM batteries, I can't find anything. I have a 2017 21C and am looking at changing batteries to AGM but don't know what the potential issues will be. Do I need to change settings on anything? Will I be able to fully charge the batteries? It appears that I can get the same physical size as my wet cell batteries so that should not be an issue. Any advice from someone who has made the switch will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
I did exactly what you are anticipating. About 3 years ago. It was super easy. I picked up the new batteries, borrowed a couple of tools from the supplier and went into the parking lot to make the switch. I dropped the old batteries off for recycling when I returned the tools. You may need to cut out a bit of wood from the piece covering the batteries in order to maneuver the old ones out and the new ones in. I did that a few days before making the change.

The only change necessary is setting your battery control unit to AMG rather than flooded.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRL View Post
The only change necessary is setting your battery control unit to AMG rather than flooded.
Don't overlook this. You are trying to turn off the "equalization" step. Most AGM batteries come with instructions to not equalize.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:18 AM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I would check your manual to see if your WFCO charger has an "Equalization" setting. No equalization was stated in our 2018 WFCO manual, but if you're charger has been replaced, I'd check the manual to see if there is an equalization setting and how to turn it off.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 04-03-2023, 07:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our 2018 E19 remote solar battery charge controller has an AGM setting. We were thinking of switching to AGMs, instead just replaced our 2-6Volt interstate batteries with the same.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:48 PM   #7

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Our 2018 E19 remote solar battery charge controller has an AGM setting. We were thinking of switching to AGMs, instead just replaced our 2-6Volt interstate batteries with the same.
I you have a WFCO 8955PEC you do not have to do anything per WFCO customer service.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:51 PM   #8

You guys (last 2 posts) are talking about 2 different things: one is the solar charger, and most of those do have a different setting to change for AGM. The other is the main power converter/charger, which most likely needs no setting change unless you're switching to lithium...
Old 04-04-2023, 08:25 PM   #9

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
You guys (last 2 posts) are talking about 2 different things: one is the solar charger, and most of those do have a different setting to change for AGM. The other is the main power converter/charger, which most likely needs no setting change unless you're switching to lithium...
The original poster is asking about going from WET CELL to AGM..so the WFCO is the only thing.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post443548
Old 04-05-2023, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
The original poster is asking about going from WET CELL to AGM..so the WFCO is the only thing.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post443548
Yes, and my point still holds...that point being that if you have a solar system, you'll have a solar charge controller as well as the WFCO (or equivalent, I upgraded mine to a Progressive) converter charger to consider, no matter which types of batteries are involved. In other words, the presence or absence of a solar system determines whether there's a second charger to account for, not the type of batteries. If the OP has a solar system installed, they will have both chargers, even when going from wet cell to AGM. It's the settings on said charger(s) that are determined by the battery types. Most solar charge controllers do have a setting to change when switching from wet cell to AGM. Most converter chargers like the WFCO do not.