Apology for fussing! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2017, 12:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Apology for fussing!

I just wanted to APOLOGIZE for fussing a week ago. I was ready to turn in my build sheet and had just diiscovered the new vrs old cabinet design and wanted pictures of both. I was frustrated that I was just finding out about it. I was tired of all the changes I had seen since we had put in our deposit last April.

Someone mentioned that the change was announced in August by email. Well, I didn't thing I got the email..... but embarrassing to say, I searched through my August email and Low and Behold.... there it was.... with photos even. Embarassing but true. I guess I did see it back in August and didn't pay much attention to it.

So, I apologize.

Sorry for fussing.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I just wanted to APOLOGIZE for fussing a week ago. I was ready to turn in my build sheet and had just diiscovered the new vrs old cabinet design and wanted pictures of both. I was frustrated that I was just finding out about it. I was tired of all the changes I had seen since we had put in our deposit last April.

Someone mentioned that the change was announced in August by email. Well, I didn't thing I got the email..... but embarrassing to say, I searched through my August email and Low and Behold.... there it was.... with photos even. Embarassing but true. I guess I did see it back in August and didn't pay much attention to it.

So, I apologize.

Sorry for fussing.
Nancy
Hey Nancy

I myself didn't particularly notice your "fussing" but if you said it happened, then it may have.

All I can say is.... the 2017 Escape 21' is AMAZING. We love ours! The fit and finish is spectacular. The staff and orientation are amazing! 100% across the board. Very respectful and helpful, no matter the persons knowledge of anything.

Keep in mind they are continually striving to make things better. and also to do the very best they can.

so try to not sweat the small stuff... and in the end... it is all small stuff!!!

cheers

John
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
So, did you pay extra for the old style cabinets? Or stick with the new? I'm glad I didn't have to pay extra for the old style (I know, rub it in, Laura).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, did you pay extra for the old style cabinets? Or stick with the new? I'm glad I didn't have to pay extra for the old style (I know, rub it in, Laura).
No, I just decided to do without.
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
I'm still working on my build list for a 21 to built in September.
Unless someone can give me a good reason not to pay the $300 for the old style with the storage above the Microwave. I plan to bite the bullet. I want that storage for maps, docs, etc. I don't think you can have too much storage. I never received an email regarding this change until I saw some post about the change here.

I really would like know why the change and why I should accept it. I will spend money on this and if necessary cut something else out.

Looking forward to other opinions on this.
twotwinpeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
From Escape August 2016:

I am writing today to inform you of a slight change in the cabinetry in the 2017 model 21’ Escape Trailer. There previously was a little cabinet to the right of the fridge at the very top. This little cabinet was very small, high up, and difficult to use, so in our efforts to make the cabinets more functional, we removed the small cabinet. We then moved up the upper cabinet and wardrobe doors. By making this adjustment, we slightly increased the space in both cabinets. The upper cabinet will now accommodate taller items and be easier to reach.
Attached Thumbnails
21' cabinets, old.jpg   21' cabinets, new copy.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm not sure you are losing storage, I believe the inside of the top cabinet goes all the way to the ceiling.....
Old 02-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

Looking at the images Eric provided, all they are doing is moving closet and microwave cabinet up ... perhaps for aesthetic reasons?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #9

The microwave cabinet may be slightly larger .. but is for the microwave! I wouldn't plan on storing anything on top of it.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not sure you are losing storage, I believe the inside of the top cabinet goes all the way to the ceiling.....
I, too, think there is no change in the overall storage space (cubic feet)...just the configuration with two larger cabinets instead of three smaller ones. But like some others, I see functionality in that top short cabinet. I can also see where it would be difficult to reach for those who are short in stature.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Karen,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm 5'9 1/2" (and shrinking!) I'm thinking I can manager it just seems like an ideal place for maps, ownership stuff etc.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotwinpeaks View Post
Unless someone can give me a good reason not to pay the $300 for the old style with the storage above the Microwave.
The microwave cabinet now is open to the ceiling at the top. I can fit a microwave up to 20" wide and height is no longer an issue as you could open up the height to about 14". Also, the open space above the microwave helps with the heat generated - it gives it somewhere to go. I installed a Panasonic inverter microwave NN-SD372S in mine. It's MUCH better a microwave than the one Escape installs. From the measurements that Laura (NW Cat Owner) gave me last year, the old style cabinet wouldn't have worked - too small.

The clothes closet is also a little taller now. Every little bit helps.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #13

TDF-Texas,

You have good points. And if I was planning on installing my own microwave then that would make sense. It that there hasn't been any heat problem with previous 21's and, if I order the microwave from ETI they will to some degree be responsible for the installation.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I really like the little cabinet. We have outdoor solar lights in there and will add some other items. I cannot really see up there but I can pull the lights out with no problem.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
On the possible down side, for those who get the microwave option, it moves the microwave from what was already a kind of high place to an even slightly higher place (looks like 2-3" higher?). Anyone who is "height challenged" and has difficulty lifting heavy objects above chest level might find the new microwave height a bit more challenging, especially retrieving things out of it like a large hot casserole. I don't have a problem with it, but I fear some might. Anyone have actual measurements on how much the new cabinet design raised the microwave? Just curious....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Yes, the microwaves have been high. Have to be careful.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 08:48 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
With the microwave that Escape installs - heat won't be a issue as it is only a 700 watt unit.
0.7 CU FT BLACK MICROWAVE| RCA Microwaves and Appliances

We wanted a better unit of at least 950 watts and with an inverter. We tend to use the microwave as the main meal preparation tool. The range in our Casita never cooked a meal in three years we had it - at most it boiled water. We cook at home, freeze it in meal portions, and reheat with the microwave. And of course, popcorn.

It's all what you want out of the trailer. If you rarely use the microwave, the RCA would be fine. If you use the microwave as much as we do, you would want a better unit. If you want a better microwave, the new style cabinets are a better choice.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #18

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Another thing to be noted: if you're getting the microwave installed by ETI you will NOT get the door that's shown on the cabinet in the photos that were supplied. The microwave is attached to both sides of the cabinet with some dohickey and you have to detach them to pull it out.

If you don't get their microwave, the door comes on there without any additional charge/cost.

I wasn't too fond of the height of the microwave in their original style of cabinetry and I think it'll be even worse in the new style. And I'm 5'10" so my height isn't that much of an issue. I just didn't like it that high. And I can be rather clumsy at times.

There's another thread pertaining to this issue that I think Quilting Lady started, with basically the same issues addressed. I think she said it was another $200, but I could be wrong on that.

I'm not surprised they didn't tell you about it as that's how it'll be on their 21' trailers from now on. They sent the email to those that had them on order at the time they made the change. However, if they're not notifying new customers, they really need to update the photo on their website (unless it's been done since I last checked a week or so ago).

I've already stashed stuff in the top cabinet, as we got the old style set up, which I really preferred. Yeah, you can't see very easily in the very back, but I put long, thin stuff in there and I can easily pull them out and see what's what when they're in the cabinet.

I purchased some hinges for that top cabinet that keeps the door up when it's opened. The ebay link is in the other thread. Dirk installed them and they're great! Otherwise that cabinet would be a PITA to use, I think. If you go that route, you can have ETI leave the door off so you won't have any holes left by their hinges, which go in a completely different area (of course!).

Oh yeah, if you get the original style, you might want to ask if they'll put the microwave cabinet door on so it opens to the side. Ours opens upwards (which greatly surprised me at pick-up), which I thought was really weird and I'm not too fond of it. I just know I'll bonk my face on it at some point and get cut or bruised. It's pretty much at eye level (for me, when opened), which I don't think is good for safety. However, I'm also not thrilled about having holes in the cabinetry if I get Dirk to change them. I'm still pondering that situation.

Good luck with your decision!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:23 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If one takes the time to read the Escape Owners Manual one will find the standard legal product disclaimer in which Escape reserves the right to make changes to their product without prior notice.
This disclaimer is commonly used by product manufacturers so that they can make changes in design , product improvements or in their manufacturing process without notice or long delays
I would believe that minor changes by Escape in cabinet layout , cabinet design or appearance would fall under the standard disclaimer language.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We fought to keep the small cabinet and are so glad we got it. We take advantage of every nook and cranny.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote