Calmark cover for 5.0TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Calmark cover for 5.0TA

Our 5.0 spent last summer uncovered here in Mesa and as expected, we noticed some oxidation on the roof as a result. I would have preferred to have built a metal carport type of shelter but it would have required H.O.A. approval and we don't have enough setback to the wall that goes around our backyard. We ordered our cover and we are happy with the quality and mostly happy with the fit. We feel it's a good investment and hopefully it will (mostly!) stop the sun damage from occurring. The one negative to the cover is that I can't run the fridge, fan or A/C with the cover on. I would routinely do this last summer just to keep everything exercised. I also need to further secure the cover using the grommets. Our Monsoon season starts soon and we can get some very high winds.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:16 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Fits your better then it does mine, I must have an extra yard where the front storage hatch is. I tried adding a belly band out of straps about even with the belly band on the trailer to try and eliminate billowing in heavy wind. Unfortunately it kept falling down due to the shape of the trailer. I think the wind gets in under the loft area, that side faces west in our yard. If you get a lot of blowing dust you may want to see what else you can do to mitigate the wind, don't want a lot of dust getting up underneath the cover.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm interested in this i have a 5.0 on order and i am concerned about covering it . Would love to build a cover but i fear my pad it too close to my neighbor's house. So i would need a cover. I'm guessing the Calmark cover is heavy and expensive.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Cover looks good! But wind and grit under it, not so much It's one of the biggest reasons I won't cover my trailers with anything that touches the gelcoat. Grit acts like sandpaper.

Besides, I'm wimpy. It's hard enough for me to climb ladder and wash the roof! I don't think I could get a cover on by myself on Ten Forward.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The Calmark cover billows some, but not like the lightweight ones do. As I mentioned, I'd be careful if I lived in a high dust area. On my previous cheap cover, the dust would go through it, not just under.

The main thing is to make sure the trailer is clean before you cover it.

Fox Hunt, you are correct. Heavy compared to the cheap ones (Calmark tells me that's on purpose, to limit billowing), and relatively expensive.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #6

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
I guess dust under the cover may be an issue here in AZ, but I think the protection from the sun is more important. We did give it a good wash before covering and waxed it this spring. The price was about $680 or so before shipping. The cover is well made and the customer service from Calmark is good. We have not taken it off yet, but putting it on with 2 people wasn't bad. It isn't ideal, but we felt something needed to be done now to stop the oxidation. I plan on contacting the Architectural committee to see about getting approval and the city of Mesa about getting a variance for the setback. It just takes time!
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote