Campfire ban, do you think? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Several years ago I visited Yellowstone NP. I read about the big fire that occurred there in the late 1980s, which I didn't remember. The fire did not destroy the park's wooden lodge because it has some kind of rooftop sprinkler system that kept it from catching fire. I don't know the details.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #42

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Steel-reinforced concrete is being used for hurricane resistance in some new houses in Florida. I saw a photo of one such house that was the only survivor along the coast in Mexico Beach after Hurricane Michael came through a few years ago.
Impressive. Hopefully when the neighbors rebuilt they followed their lead.
Attached Thumbnails
15MICHAEL-HOUSE-1-jumbo-v2.jpg  
Old 07-07-2021, 10:14 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Like the Florida condo?
Actually, this is closer to what I have in mind.... this monolithic dome house is on Pensacola Beach and it has withstood a couple of hurricanes already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eye of the storm dome.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	56798

They make smaller, less fancy ones also, of course. A couple of them have survived fires that burned everything around them and took the insulation off the outside of the houses, but the homes were otherwise unscathed. One such home was struck by a runaway, loaded dump truck and all it did was puncture a 6" diameter hole in the side of the house.

But besides monolithic domes, there are ICFs and other methods of building homes out of concrete that are almost as strong as the dome. Imagine living in a house that won't burn down, is impervious to termites, stands up to strong winds like hurricanes and tornadoes, and resists earthquakes.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Actually, this is closer to what I have in mind.... this monolithic dome house is on Pensacola Beach and it has withstood a couple of hurricanes already.

Attachment 56798

They make smaller, less fancy ones also, of course. A couple of them have survived fires that burned everything around them and took the insulation off the outside of the houses, but the homes were otherwise unscathed. One such home was struck by a runaway, loaded dump truck and all it did was puncture a 6" diameter hole in the side of the house.

But besides monolithic domes, there are ICFs and other methods of building homes out of concrete that are almost as strong as the dome. Imagine living in a house that won't burn down, is impervious to termites, stands up to strong winds like hurricanes and tornadoes, and resists earthquakes.
That Monolithic dome house actually doesn't look bad. Some of them are hideous. Nice to be resistant to wind and fire..