CB radio when traveling - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: WTB: E19
CB radio when traveling

Does anyone have experience with a new am/fm cb radio for in a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I am looking at a President Hamilton with a K40 antenna.
Old 03-07-2023, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Are you looking for a new CB because you already use an older one now?

I used CB for years but haven't even bothered installing one in my newest tug because they simply aren't being used the way they used to be.

Maybe they are in the Eastern US but not out West.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Are you looking for a new CB because you already use an older one now?

I used CB for years but haven't even bothered installing one in my newest tug because they simply aren't being used the way they used to be.

Maybe they are in the Eastern US but not out West.

Ron
We don't have one currently. Looking at an inexpensive portable for use on the road to monitor road conditions etc.

I know they have fallen out of use but have recently started a come back.
Old 03-07-2023, 11:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
In 2017 when we travelled across Canada with my brother in law and their trailer, we dug out the old CB radios to use on route. We had the airwaves all to our selves from the west coast to the east coast and back. You could have died a long slow death waiting to contact someone for help.

Today in Canada the truckers use VHF, primarily the 4 LADD channels…and yes you are supposed to have a license.

If you are in the US and want to talk between trailers then GMRS might be something to consider.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
In 2017 when we travelled across Canada with my brother in law and their trailer, we dug out the old CB radios to use on route. We had the airwaves all to our selves from the west coast to the east coast and back. You could have died a long slow death waiting to contact someone for help.
About the same time we delivered a car from Van. to Calgary. My wife was driving it so I dug out a couple of my CBs and put one in it temporarily. Now, of course, with hands free phones I wouldn't have bothered.

Unfortunately, although there was virtually no CB use by others except by one moron called "ice cream man" who must have had a hopped up mega watt setup and every time I scanned channels I heard his drivel.

I hope it does make a come back, I used to enjoy the chatter. CBs are still used by some folks travelling in convoys, like in Baja.

Ron
Old 03-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Does anyone have experience with a new am/fm cb radio for in a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I am looking at a President Hamilton with a K40 antenna.
CB World just sent me a post with all there new FM radio’s including your President Hamilton . They even have a video showing the difference in sound between the older cb’s and the new fm ‘s Wow !
Pretty interesting ! Also looking ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 15A
I do off road driving and overlanding. The vast majority of us have switched from CB to GMRS for trail communications as it is easier to set up and the clarity is much better, plus with up to 50 watts of transmit power the range can be much greater than the 4 watts of CB.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
They even have a video showing the difference in sound between the older cb’s and the new fm ‘s Wow !
Pretty interesting ! Also looking ! Pat
Ham radio trivia: Did you know that until a recent FCC rule change that it was ILLEGAL to transmit in the FM mode lower than 29 MHz? The CB band is a bit lower, in the 27 MHz range, so this rule change allows FM on CB.

I could just see myself sitting in Levenworth prison when a large, burly inmate stomps up to me and demands "What're YOU in for??"
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Ham radio trivia: Did you know that until a recent FCC rule change that it was ILLEGAL to transmit in the FM mode lower than 29 MHz? The CB band is a bit lower, in the 27 MHz range, so this rule change allows FM on CB.

I could just see myself sitting in Levenworth prison when a large, burly inmate stomps up to me and demands "What're YOU in for??"
Yup the new ruling allows the FM transmission. What a difference for sure . I am more interested . Linda has her license for ham radio and that is her interest . But a big game change for CB legally for sure ! Pat
Old 03-09-2023, 08:19 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 E19
Frequency modulation on CB is now legal? No need to worry about whether one is switching between talking high & fast and talking low & slow? (Just kidding)
Old 03-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

They called me the ice cream man and you could hear me for hundreds of miles.

Ron
Old 03-09-2023, 04:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jail humor?

From Alice’s Restaurant jail scene
“Littering”, and they all moved away
“And creating a public nuisance” and they all moved back.

Camped in Kansas one night a young boy took a liking to our dog. He played with Jake for quite a while. He referred to the fact that his mother worked during the day. I asked him where she worked.
“Leavenworth” he said
“How does she like that”, I asked
“Hey, it’s a prison, what do you think?” He replied.
No further questions your honor.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
D34D1459-2C5B-4474-B4BA-2DF2970B25F7a.jpg  
Old 03-09-2023, 05:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Virgil, Illinois

Many years ago I lived in that crossroads, dinky village. Across the road from me was "Diamond Jim", his CB moniker. He was a CB Outlaw, with a tall, backyard tower, and his signal would come over and on through the LP stereo we had. Not a clear signal, but when he was on, he was ON! with distortion, disruption and some decipherable words. He was way, way over the CB wattage limit. I had dreams of taking his tower down, but instead moved away, with the roaming of youth in force.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Jake at work.Totally dedicated,reminds me of my German Shorthairs, have since downsized to ratcatching Wire Fox Terrier she is a fireball that hates the racoons in our back yard when they show up 0300.I am surprised that the neighbours haven't complained when she puts on her best German Shepherd bark.
Take care.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 06:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I had a big Shorthair in the 70s. He was a pheasant hunting fool. Powerful, smart and no quit in him. And like Jerry Clower related , “there’s one thing I can’t stand and it’s a lying coon dog. Buck never lied once. If he locked up, there was game in front of him. We’ve had a lot of dogs in 53 years liked them all but sporting breeds are my favorites. In the off season we run Jake in the primitive camping area at a state park. Ranger is cool, nobody is around. If there Is, we go somewhere else. Thanks for the post.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #16

Quote:
They called me the ice cream man and you could hear me for hundreds of miles.

Ron
Ron

Reminds me of a 1980's song...I'll just watch you as your passing by!

Bill
Old 03-10-2023, 11:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_19 View Post
Ron

Reminds me of a 1980's song...I'll just watch you as your passing by!

Bill
Well I wish that I could have just passed on by this guys signal range.

Interesting but unfortunate how both CB and Marine VHF went downhill in terms of proper radio procedure etc. I think that I actually had a licence for CB before it became the wild west and largely unregulated.

Marine VHF used to be closely monitored and a license for both the vessel and operator required but that's really gone downhill and some weekends it almost like the CB wild west.

I have both Marine and Air radio operators licenses. Air seems to be the last bastion of correct radio protocol.

Ron
Old 03-10-2023, 03:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Well I wish that I could have just passed on by this guys signal range.

Interesting but unfortunate how both CB and Marine VHF went downhill in terms of proper radio procedure etc. I think that I actually had a licence for CB before it became the wild west and largely unregulated.

Marine VHF used to be closely monitored and a license for both the vessel and operator required but that's really gone downhill and some weekends it almost like the CB wild west.

I have both Marine and Air radio operators licenses. Air seems to be the last bastion of correct radio protocol.

Ron

AGREE - there is a total loss of decorum in our society
Old 03-10-2023, 09:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We have CB radios in each of our tow vehicles. Some days reception is good, some days it is bad and we might hear someone 600 miles away, but not someone 2 miles away. Hopefully FM will alleviate many of the current problems.
We hope if we ever have an emergency and no cell phone coverage, we will at least be able to raise someone on the CB.
We do like hearing about road blockages many miles before we get to it so we can plan an alternate route, and we do like having the weather band available.
As for FM use, I think it will take many years before there are enough FM equipped radios to allow good coverage, but someone has to start the ball rolling, right?
Old 03-10-2023, 10:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We have CB radios in each of our tow vehicles. Some days reception is good, some days it is bad and we might hear someone 600 miles away, but not someone 2 miles away. Hopefully FM will alleviate many of the current problems.
We hope if we ever have an emergency and no cell phone coverage, we will at least be able to raise someone on the CB.
We do like hearing about road blockages many miles before we get to it so we can plan an alternate route, and we do like having the weather band available.
As for FM use, I think it will take many years before there are enough FM equipped radios to allow good coverage, but someone has to start the ball rolling, right?
Yup ! Many po po CB radio’s but they still have a place and are getting better just like tv antenna ‘s which we have ,dumping Sat because of the costs figure we have at least 12,000- 13,000 in our own pocket now and Roku basic since the start for a whopping 7.99 a mo . If CB’s were dead they wouldn’t have them for sale . They would have gone out of business with no takers . Just my thoughts . Pat