Framed windows? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
How do you figure? Outside of looking cooler, the frameless windows don’t visibly ooze butyl sealant in hot weather, unlike framed windows. Frameless provide a superior thermal barrier as the frame is not a direct thermal conduit from outside to inside, which means they sweat a lot less in cold weather. With the frameless setup you can open the large rear window on the trailer, unlike the framed rear window. And most obviously, the frameless windows are all-weather windows that can be used in rain or storm without soaking the trailer interior. The frameless windows offer much more than just cool looks. We’ve had both styles of windows, and prefer the frameless primarily because of their function, and secondarily for their aesthetic form.
This is getting so old now . Let's see now having 3 RV's in the last 45 years including the current trailer with sliding windows , what leaking ? What soaking of the interior ? Never happened to us . And even though we live in California , always travel and stay up North to Oregon and Washington , even in winter .. We have family there . As for large opening window in rear , the 2 sides are plenty for ventilation , one of which is a better escape window . Really don't care to open large window over my bed. Who the hell in a storm opens all their windows ? Do you not have a awning and use your roof fan ? Never had any operating problems or coming apart with the sliders . Once at a RV lot couldn't open the frameless on a new RV , the glass was stuck to the inside seal butyl is on many places on your trailer for sealing . It is a good removable sealer.
Finally , good you love your windows . Many of us love ours too , sliders . Pat
__________________

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Posts: 16,289
Takes a few minutes to remove oozing butyl. ETI included this scraper in the goody bag at a rally.
Attached Thumbnails
butyl scraper?.jpg  
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
This is getting so old now . Let's see now having 3 RV's in the last 45 years including the current trailer with sliding windows , what leaking ? What soaking of the interior ? Never happened to us . And even though we live in California , always travel and stay up North to Oregon and Washington , even in winter .. We have family there . As for large opening window in rear , the 2 sides are plenty for ventilation , one of which is a better escape window . Really don't care to open large window over my bed. Who the hell in a storm opens all their windows ? Do you not have a awning and use your roof fan ? Never had any operating problems or coming apart with the sliders . Once at a RV lot couldn't open the frameless on a new RV , the glass was stuck to the inside seal butyl is on many places on your trailer for sealing . It is a good removable sealer.

Finally , good you love your windows . Many of us love ours too , sliders . Pat

Interesting that your assessment fails to identify any advantages of the framed windows over the frameless, but rather is a list of the things you must do to mitigate the sliders’ deficiencies.

Sliders are fine. They work alright and I’m glad you like yours. We have owned and used both and we prefer the frameless, for the reasons I listed.

My point in rehashing these things was to provide additional, possibly helpful, information to a newer member here on the site, who appeared to be unaware of certain aspects of The Great Window Debate.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:19 PM   #24
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#5 E19, ECD 5/22.
Posts: 24,067
In my opinion, in order to express an informed opinion, one must have had experience with both types of windows in various weather scenarios, to form an informed opinion....just saying.
__________________
Jim
Sometime life gets in the way of living.......
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In my opinion, in order to express an informed opinion, one must have had experience with both types of windows in various weather scenarios, to form an informed opinion....just saying.
checked them out , not impressed . Especially when my brothers , brand new Winnebago Class A had to have all the frameless switched out from leaking and problems 4 mo old .We camp a lot with him . He still hates them because of lack of good ventilation. If I want to change out something that has been and still is in existence I want improvement not just looks . Sat in brand new RV 's went back and forth to frameless and sliders to check on ventilation . Sliders won hands down . By the way he also hates his power awning which we also sat under . But then we not impressed with huge Class A' either . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Interesting that your assessment fails to identify any advantages of the framed windows over the frameless, but rather is a list of the things you must do to mitigate the sliders’ deficiencies.

Sliders are fine. They work alright and I’m glad you like yours. We have owned and used both and we prefer the frameless, for the reasons I listed.

My point in rehashing these things was to provide additional, possibly helpful, information to a newer member here on the site, who appeared to be unaware of certain aspects of The Great Window Debate.
Really . They are still being used on Olivers . Hmmmm , great ventilation , do not leak . No issues like coming apart . The rear of any RV we ever had was the dirtiest , so don't want opening rear windows especially where my bed is . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 7,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Takes a few minutes to remove oozing butyl. ETI included this scraper in the goody bag at a rally.
Cool little tool unfortunately we didn't get one . We just use a old credit card . I think now coming up to 6 years only a couple times ever found the need to clean up the butyl and we always take care of the trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLO County, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2019 Expedition
Posts: 4,366
Agree with you Pat; hadn't thought about dust/dirt seeping in the back window. The other thing is one loses the picture window as the frameless rear is split down the middle. How do you take a good pic for "What's out your back window"?
__________________
"We gotta get as far away as we can!"
- Russell Casse, Independence Day
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:00 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 14,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
... the frameless windows don’t visibly ooze butyl sealant in hot weather, unlike framed windows.
Since the "frameless" windows are just framed windows with the outer glass plane bonded to the outside of the moving frame, overlapping the fixed frame to hide it, they both need to be sealed to the trailer in essentially the same way. If the frameless windows are installed with a gasket instead of sealant, or some modern sealant instead of plumber's putty with added butyl, the same could be done with the traditional "framed" windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
With the frameless setup you can open the large rear window on the trailer, unlike the framed rear window. And most obviously, the frameless windows are all-weather windows that can be used in rain or storm without soaking the trailer interior.
This is the result of the awning configuration (top-hinged), rather than the "frameless" construction. I would be happy with awning-style framed windows; I've only had sliders.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:32 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
katzam29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Abbotsford, British Columbia
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Posts: 112
We have the dual pane framed windows in our 2017 19'. Haven't had any problems with rain because the window I keep open is the one over the kitchen sink. We're perfectly happy with our windows. Speaking of rain....it's the awning I'm not too pleased with, but that's a different thread.
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Really . They are still being used on Olivers . Hmmmm , great ventilation , do not leak . No issues like coming apart . The rear of any RV we ever had was the dirtiest , so don't want opening rear windows especially where my bed is . Pat


Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
sclifrickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Posts: 1,584
I think Framed and Frameless camps should pick some sort of readily identifiable visual marker, like gang colors, so everybody can tell who’s who at rallies and such. How about gray for Framers, and blue for Framelessers? Sorta Civil Warrish. Of course, everyone knows how that turned out.
__________________
💩-p+☕️+n
sclifrickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,091
No way, I'm a Framer and I want us to be Blue.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Eggscape's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 2,197
How about shirts and skins.
The framed windows could be shirts and frameless could be shirtless...maybe that is something best not seen.
__________________
So many modifications...so little time.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Posts: 166
How about CALGARY FRAMES vs the CAROLINA HURRIFRAMES?
__________________
Peter H.
"Eggy Sue"
2013 19ft Escape
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Trailer: 2013 Li'l Hauley
Posts: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
How about shirts and skins.
The framed windows could be shirts and frameless could be shirtless...maybe that is something best not seen.
I believe I've read that the women can legally be topless in Canada. This could work!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Farther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Quimper Peninsula, Washington
Trailer: TBD
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No way, I'm a Framer and I want us to be Blue.

Ron
You'd be a red coat.
__________________
Thanks,
~Farther
Farther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 3,494
No Civil War reenactment here, I don't have a dog in this fight, sorry.
Know which one's I like and I've got them. Hope everyone is aligned similarly with their choices.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 6,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
You'd be a red coat.
Well, maybe. I know that I'd certainly be Blue if my only choice was frameless.

Ron
__________________

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×