How to get comfortable with towing a trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2023, 02:41 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
I'm on my third year towing, 21C and F150, and I still find it pretty stressful. I'm afraid I have done my best to avoid reversing if I can, by booking pull-through sites most of the time. I did a bit of practise in a mall lot at first with cones, and really the only way to get more comfortable is to keep practising. I watched a lot of youtube videos as well, which helped a bit, but is no substitute for doing it yourself. One thing I have noted is that after you turn your steering wheel one way or another, and the trailer starts to turn, it will continue to turn unless you turn the steering wheel back. I find it best to make very small adjustments, go REALLY slowly, get out and look often, and try not to worry about other people, who were beginners themselves once. Also reassure yourself that you are very good at some other things besides backing up a trailer! My wife and I have realized that we can save money on couples therapy if she does NOT try to guide me. This applies to hooking up as well.
When going forwards I cannot accelerate anything like I can without the trailer, so have to be very careful pulling into traffic or changing lanes. You might do better with the smaller trailer. Also I have to take turns wider, and if there are dual turning lanes, choose the outer one to avoid hitting the median on the inside of the turn. One of the worst things is getting back across to the left when in a passing zone. There always seems to be someone who wants to pass in that last 200yds before your lane runs out! An early signal seems to help a bit there.
I try to avoid driving more than a maximum of 5 hours at a time, and if possible never in the dark.
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 04:26 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Lots of good advice here. One thing: if the trick of holding the steering wheel at the bottom doesn't appeal (I generally forget it), just hold it at the top and remember—the trailer goes the opposite way you turn.

I did learn that when young, backing up a tractor and farm trailer.

As NoSOD says, go really slow when backing up—makes corrections much easier.

I've got my wife to stop yelling and use hand signals instead. We haven't had to use our phones yet, but we're thinking about it.

I got a magnetic wireless backup camera that I can put on the Escape bumper. The wide-angle view doesn't help as much as I'd hoped, but I haven't used it in strange campsites yet.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post

When going forwards I cannot accelerate anything like I can without the trailer, so have to be very careful pulling into traffic or changing lanes.
I don't know what model of F150 you have but with my 2.7, 10 speed I can accelerate and merge easily with traffic. Better than some vehicles that I've owned previously not towing anything.

I think that your experience might be on one end of a spectrum. My impression, from comments made by new owners after their maiden trip home, was more relief that towing turned out not to be such a big deal after all. Many folks have worried for months ahead of time but after a few hours of towing started feeling much more relaxed.

Hopefully at some point you'll also start to be more comfortable towing.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 06:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Gino
I’ve needed a big voice on several jobs I’ve had over the years and it’s never let me down.
Neither has my willingness to help people and do a good turn daily. I say hey boy come a here and I’ll show you how to back that trailer up like a man.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-03-2023, 06:54 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Gino
I’ve needed a big voice on several jobs I’ve had over the years and it’s never let me down.
Neither has my willingness to help people and do a good turn daily. I say hey boy come a here and I’ll show you how to back that trailer up like a man.
Iowa Dave
Love it. You keep it up Iowa Dave and this world will be a better place.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #26

Quote:

and I’ll show you how to back that trailer up like a man.

Iowa Dave
Are you saying that a woman can't back up a trailer?

Ron
Old 08-03-2023, 09:11 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Women in a man’s world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Are you saying that a woman can't back up a trailer?

Ron
Nope Ron, I was remembering the way Foghorn Leghorn phrased things.

In my previous municipal jobs, I led the city in diverse hiring and was cited for my willingness to build crews from all walks of life. In addition I guided inexperienced organizations and citizens through bureaucratic rules so that that could have successful events in public parks for over 32 years.

The only ethnic group I never hired from was American Eskimo. Never had the opportunity. Otherwise, I hit all the rest including Aleutian Islander and Pacific Islander. One of my forestry employees in Council Bluffs was a woman I hired to drive the chipper dump truck and chipper and our 3/4 ton pickup and TS 44T tree spade. I was honored to introduce her at the state Tree City USA Banquet when she was named Urban Forester of the Year for the State of Iowa.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-04-2023, 11:45 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 E19
You should be fine. Can "play around" a little in the parking lot too, before you leave it. A double axle, might have a been little more trouble. I came from double axle horse trailers.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Nope Ron, I was remembering the way Foghorn Leghorn phrased things.

One of my forestry employees in Council Bluffs was a woman I hired to drive the chipper dump truck and chipper and our 3/4 ton pickup and TS 44T tree spade. I was honored to introduce her at the state Tree City USA Banquet when she was named Urban Forester of the Year for the State of Iowa.
Iowa Dave

I was the first person my Construction Boss let drive the BRAND new Dump truck. He also had me move his newly bought Sail boat(TALL & heavy, because keel). I noticed big low hanging branches backing in, & stopped. Told him had to be cut off.
Old 08-04-2023, 01:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
I don't know what model of F150 you have but with my 2.7, 10 speed I can accelerate and merge easily with traffic. Better than some vehicles that I've owned previously not towing anything.

I think that your experience might be on one end of a spectrum. My impression, from comments made by new owners after their maiden trip home, was more relief that towing turned out not to be such a big deal after all. Many folks have worried for months ahead of time but after a few hours of towing started feeling much more relaxed.

Hopefully at some point you'll also start to be more comfortable towing.

Ron
I have a 2011 SC with the V8. When I leave from the storage place I have to pull onto the highway up a slight hill from a stop sign. That is where I notice the difference the most. Once moving along, it is not such a big deal, other than the added length. I might try a zero to sixty test one of these days.
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 02:47 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Ron
Likewise. I also drive an Ecoboost and power is the least of my worries when merging onto Interstates and highways with a 5.0 in tow.

Like Ron said, eventually you will get comfortable towing. I used to dread picking up our trailer from storage during rush hour, which is usually when I have to get it. Now, with brakes dialed in, plenty of power and good visibility to the back, I think nothing of it.
Old 08-05-2023, 06:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 21NE picked up in May 2022
I also try to pay close attention to the speed limit signs, especially on freeway entrance and exit ramps. Even more so when there is a lot of damage to the guardrails already from others who did not give them the respect they demand.

I also observe speed limits on the "work areas". Half the people out there driving around are not paying attention to their driving, and I hate surprises.
Randy in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:46 AM   #33

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
I was taught drivers-ed back in the late 60's and in California that when you are on a entrance ramp to the interstate, you should treat it as your runway to build up your speed to the interstate speed and merge / zipper into the traffic.

Don't wait till you get to the end of the ramp to hit the gas. You should be doing that at the beginning of the ramp.

I see folks all the time ( like a kid running down the diving board at a pool ..... stop at the end of it then decides step off of it into the pool instead of jumping out into it....) that will run to the end of the ramp.... only to slow down and sometimes even stop before merging out into the traffic....

Guess they got their license from Cracker-Jacks
For what it's worth

Cheers..... and Happy SAFE Tails to ya......
Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 09:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Where’s the fun??!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Don't wait till you get to the end of the ramp to hit the gas. You should be doing that at the beginning of the
I’m guessing you would also discourage some of these manoeuvres too, most of which have happened me in my year of towing. Takes all the fun out of confirming reaction times and trailer manoeuvrability
  1. From the passing lane suddenly decide you want to take this exit right here, cutting off the newbie tower
  2. Turning left off a 2 lane highway without feeling the need to let others know by using the turn signal
  3. Passing the tractor trailer and newbie tower on the WashingtonDC beltway on your motorcycle, looking back so we can admire your prowess when you perform a wheelie at 70 mpg, only to have your bike flip out from under you. Fortunately we all were able to get around the bits of bike and your hobbling person
  4. Figure there’s plenty of time to pass that truck on the windy two lane double line highway
  5. Approaching the newbie tower on a fairly sharp curve of the high speed two lane highway, then drifting into their lane

Fortunately most people drive well enough, but it only takes one. Best to be aware of the surroundings and prepare for the unexpected.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 11:16 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
I was taught drivers-ed back in the late 60's and in California that when you are on a entrance ramp to the interstate, you should treat it as your runway to build up your speed to the interstate speed and merge / zipper into the traffic.

Don't wait till you get to the end of the ramp to hit the gas. You should be doing that at the beginning of the ramp.

I see folks all the time ( like a kid running down the diving board at a pool ..... stop at the end of it then decides step off of it into the pool instead of jumping out into it....) that will run to the end of the ramp.... only to slow down and sometimes even stop before merging out into the traffic....

Guess they got their license from Cracker-Jacks
For what it's worth

Cheers..... and Happy SAFE Tails to ya......
Jack
If you're towing a trailer, and you're facing a winding ramp (which may not be graded properly), you had best keep your speed down to the posted or lower MPH, until you have a clear, straight shot onto the highway—then, and only then, floor it and get up to speed.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:38 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
[*]Passing the tractor trailer and newbie tower on the WashingtonDC beltway on your motorcycle, looking back so we can admire your prowess when you perform a wheelie at 70 mpg, only to have your bike flip out from under you. Fortunately we all were able to get around the bits of bike and your hobbling person
Hey now. I've popped some of my best wheelies at 70mph. Of course that was on a closed course raceway on a race prepped bike. There is nothing like the feeling of coming out of a corner and lifting the front wheel. What you described is what we call a "squid", basically someone who rides a fast bike but has no skills, no respect for others and no common sense.

My pet peeve on the highways are folks who pull their rigs at 70-80+mph. You know what I call those people? Amateurs. Speeding is usually in the top 3 reasons for RV accidents along with inexperience and improper loading.

Be cool out there.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:20 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post

What you described is what we call a "squid", basically someone who rides a fast bike but has no skills, no respect for others and no common sense.
And sometimes, like I have, you watch as they hit the pavement and die while their bike careens down the road.

Or you go to a funeral service where they're laying in their casket quite dead while their favorite bike stands nearby looking none the worse.

Rode bikes all my life and still ride but I've never done a wheelie on the highway.

Ron
Old 08-07-2023, 01:53 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We watched a moron do a wheely about 90 miles an hour in Akron, I think their club was Star Boys. His wheel came down crooked, he was a whisper from certain death, but lucked out.
We tow at about 62 or 63, avoid nights and try to not exceed 4 hours a day, or if we do break up the long tows with shorter ones and maybe stay 2 nights after a couple of long ones.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #39

Trailer: 2023 E19
I had an encounter the day after taking delivery of my trailer that reinforced the importance of safe towing practices:

I was travelling eastbound from Chilliwack towards Osoyoos along the Hwy 3 between Hope and Princeton. The route consists of several steep and twisty mountain passes.

I was slowly rounding a blind outside corner while climbing the final section of Sunday Summit (prior to descending into Princeton), when I encountered a truck and travel trailer that was going FAR TOO FAST around the bend in the opposite direction. His trailer swayed violently into the eastbound lane just as it came into view in front of me. Fortunately, the trailer began to sway in the other direction just as we passed each other...avoiding what would have been a nasty collision by a matter of a few feet.

The trailer was bouncing side-to-side on its wheels as it passed me...getting at least a foot of air with each bounce. The whole rig was heading towards the opposite ditch as it disappeared from sight in my mirrors. Thankfully, there was was no traffic immediately behind me ... as his trajectory would have certainly resulted in a head-on.

Everything occurred so fast that I didn't comprehend what had actually happened until after the fact. I continued into Princeton....and was surprised not to encounter police/ambulance racing up the pass in the opposite direction. The driver must have managed to recover....though I hope he learned a lesson from the near-miss. I know I did.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:44 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
My pet peeve on the highways are folks who pull their rigs at 70-80+mph. You know what I call those people? Amateurs. Speeding is usually in the top 3 reasons for RV accidents along with inexperience and improper loading.

Be cool out there.
They also have an VERY unlevel trailer with dual axles........... waiting for a blowout.