Longevity - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2022, 06:08 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' and 2004 Tundra
I believe Dan was simply outlining the points he considered while comparing the two brands. I tend to agree with his analysis, give me a corvette and I would sell it for 2 Miatas, give me an Oliver trailer and I would buy an Escape and a boat instead. Not to mention that I really would not want a one ton truck because I bought a heavy camper, regardless of the expense. Oliver does appear to have made a fine product, it is just more than what my needs or budget require. I enjoy what I have as I am sure Oliver owners do and as far as longevity I see them being equal with different features.
RBRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:14 AM   #42

Trailer: 21
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Time to get back to escape issues and improvements,not what the other manufacturers do or don’t do.
Old 08-31-2022, 09:34 AM   #43

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubarx View Post
As one of the moderators on the Oliver forum, I frown on bashing other fiberglass brands. After reading the postings here for 14 years, it seems that here it's a fairly regular pastime.

As a group, the owners of Oliver TT's are well aware of your oft quoted complaints about the price and the weight and the white interiors. Every Oliver owner was able to afford the price, otherwise they would not have purchased one. As far weight goes, we simply bought bigger trucks. White interior? We all love it because you have a blank palate to decorate in any way you choose.

My only issue with EscapingDan was he wanted to beat up on us and then make some lame comment that he was "...Not knocking it but just comparison shopping..." Don't wee wee down my back and then try to convince me it's just a warm summer rain.

If my presence here is not welcome, tell me now. I will vacate your forum and won't return. I joined not because I was interested in Escapes, but because I felt that all the different fiberglass trailer brands were more alike than different and that all the owners had information to share that would be useful to everyone else.

Also, despite what you may think, if you were to visit our forum you won't encounter anyone speaking ill of an Escape, or any other brand of FGRV.
We’ve owned 15 previous campers. In 2016 (?) we had a chance to buy the 2014 Oliver company display camper from a couple that had just purchased it, but the owner had a heart attack on the first trip and could no longer drive. We did a comparison and, like EscapingDan, it didn’t fit our needs.

I don’t feel that EscapingDan was bashing, but made the same observations that we found to not buy an Oliver. There are many others here who have made those same observations. That’s just comparison shopping. We owned a 2014 Lance camper before our Escape (and a 25’ Bigfoot before the Lance). I have no problem writing about our experiences here on the Escape forum or the Fiberglass forum. I would not make the comparison on the Lance forum though, and never did.

Forums are for information and EscapingDan (and myself previously here) merely gave his, and did so respectfully. I understand the negatives of my Escape choice, no living room, small wet bath, small kitchen, small holding tanks, lack of entry area, etc. but I weighed the positives and negatives and after nearly four years, 500 nights, and 40,000 miles pulling, know we made a good decision.

I want a forum where everyone can have an opinion, not a forum where opinions are limited (one should be respectful and truthful though).

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #44

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Donna, although not nearly as verbose as yourself, you'll notice I've been a member on this forum essentially the same amount of time that you have and I am well aware of the brand of trailers represented here.

As one of the moderators on the Oliver forum, I frown on bashing other fiberglass brands. After reading the postings here for 14 years, it seems that here it's a fairly regular pastime.

As a group, the owners of Oliver TT's are well aware of your oft quoted complaints about the price and the weight and the white interiors. Every Oliver owner was able to afford the price, otherwise they would not have purchased one. As far weight goes, we simply bought bigger trucks. White interior? We all love it because you have a blank palate to decorate in any way you choose.

My only issue with EscapingDan was he wanted to beat up on us and then make some lame comment that he was "...Not knocking it but just comparison shopping..." Don't wee wee down my back and then try to convince me it's just a warm summer rain.

If my presence here is not welcome, tell me now. I will vacate your forum and won't return. I joined not because I was interested in Escapes, but because I felt that all the different fiberglass trailer brands were more alike than different and that all the owners had information to share that would be useful to everyone else.

Also, despite what you may think, if you were to visit our forum you won't encounter anyone speaking ill of an Escape, or any other brand of FGRV.

Just sayin'
Being a member here for 9 years , what you are saying is very true . To tell you the truth if Oliver was available at our time of purchase we would of gone with that purchase . We need to stay with what we have but always look lovingly at Oliver and very aware of her construction exceptions . That being said we hate all the negativity that does and has gone on here . And would be nice if all us fiberglass owners were acknowledging our differences but not needing to put down the Rolls Royce of fiberglass , Oliver . Having toured many in person and a past in construction and speaking with owners , we really love the Oliver’s and if we could would have one in our driveway. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:16 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
I'll see that Oliver and raise you a Mercedes Benz Unimog! John and I saw one camping at Stub Stewart here in Oregon. We were stunned by its appearance, and looked them up after getting home. Now that is a fancy camping vehicle with the capability to cross the Sahara in comfort.

I named my account Small but Sweet when we had the 17A, and if changes were possible I’d rename it the Sweet Spot because for us the Escape is the perfect Goldilocks camping, not too much and not too little. Towability is huge for us, not wanting a powerful truck, but at the same time we live in a temperate climate and take Nov-Feb off from camping.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:37 PM   #46

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I really like the boat like feel of the Oliver's and I like the twin bed version. For us they would be great.

I told a friend that the Oliver's are the F250 Limited Diesel version of my F150 XLT EcoBoost. Love them both but can only afford one.

Our Escape 21C should be ready to pick up in late October.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:03 PM   #47

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
If Oliver had a 5th wheel I'd give them a serious look. If I went to bumper pull I'd prefer the Bigfoot because of size and dry bath.
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:21 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Being a member here for 9 years , what you are saying is very true . To tell you the truth if Oliver was available at our time of purchase we would of gone with that purchase . We need to stay with what we have but always look lovingly at Oliver and very aware of her construction exceptions . That being said we hate all the negativity that does and has gone on here . And would be nice if all us fiberglass owners were acknowledging our differences but not needing to put down the Rolls Royce of fiberglass , Oliver . Having toured many in person and a past in construction and speaking with owners , we really love the Oliver’s and if we could would have one in our driveway. Pat
There's an old Stephen Stills tune called "Love the One Your With". I loved my 21 C, enjoyed looking very carefully at an Oliver, ended up ordering a Bigfoot for various reasons, got some flack from a member for posting about Bigfoot trailers on this forum, though I was puzzled why, etc. I like your attitude. There really is a fiberglas trailer for almost everyone of modest means you look. Eat drink and be Merry.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 08:47 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Donna, although not nearly as verbose as yourself, you'll notice I've been a member on this forum essentially the same amount of time that you have and I am well aware of the brand of trailers represented here.

Just sayin'
I’m not in the habit of being on team Donna, but I think her position could be due to the fact it seems from time to time someone will get on here and put out on of all places a site dedicated to Escape trailers how its so much of a better choice they have made by going elsewhere. I do believe she meant no harm to you in her comment.

Keep in mind people on here do know the various choices, they are on here trying to improve their own experience and help others. Yet some chose to go on and on with their alternative camper choice. All with no regard for the people on here who have tens of thousands invested into their Escapes. This includes people who own Olivers, so while yes its gets nasty from time to time on here from some in the Escape Cabal, I have found it’s not exclusive to here, in fact it’s probably more the the times we are in.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:04 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post

I’m not in the habit of being on team Donna,

What, there's a Team Donna. After all these years first on FGRV and then Escape, how could I not know this? It might be a little known fact that Donna also loved her Scamp 16 so much that she couldn't bear to part with it.

from some in the Escape Cabal, I have found it’s not exclusive to here, in fact it’s probably more the the times we are in.
Is that the folks who own Escapes but never miss a chance to slag ETI?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:42 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
There's an old Stephen Stills tune called "Love the One Your With". I loved my 21 C, enjoyed looking very carefully at an Oliver, ended up ordering a Bigfoot for various reasons, got some flack from a member for posting about Bigfoot trailers on this forum, though I was puzzled why, etc. I like your attitude. There really is a fiberglas trailer for almost everyone of modest means you look. Eat drink and be Merry.
Also love the Bigfoot especially their campers which we almost went that way . Really love all fiberglass rv’s after having stickies and their water issues . I think I was just meaning to say why knock other fiberglass rv ‘s ? They all have positives and suit each of us with what we can afford or need . Good products don’t need to be the best by bashing others products . Hope this makes sense . We are very happy to have our trailer but do love and appreciate and see the positives of other fiberglass products . Still love the Oliver’s but we will stay with our Classic Escape . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:22 PM   #52

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan in NC View Post

All you Escape owners who have had the same trailer for several years and/or have towed it thousands of miles, how have things held up? I don’t care so much about components, but, rather, how has what Escape builds (the shell, the cabinets, plumbing, electrical, etc.) help up? I would also be interested in how the frame and axles have fared. Thanks for any information you’re willing to share.

Signed, Analysis Paralysis and wife, Over Thinker

We bought our 2015 17B new and have towed it about 50,000 km (30,000 miles). It's stored in a enclosed shed when not in use, I give a through wash an wax once a year. I have repacked the bearings twice and last spring when I was doing it for a third time noticed some fine lines on one set of bearings so decided to just replace them all. Last year I replaced the water pump (because the old one started to "burp" about every 1/2 hour or so) and this year I replaced the propane regulator. That is all the maintenance I have done and this trailer has held up amazingly well. The shell, the cabinets, plumbing, electrical, the frame and the axle have all held up well. And every trip we go on people approach us and ask us about it and they are all surprised at it's age, thinking it was brand new.

My only real complaint would be the Dometic propane frigid, when it goes I will seriously consider a compressor style replacement.

I would buy this trailer again in a heart beat.