Manual or power canopy - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The awning arms do not interfere with framed "slider" windows.
Negative, my Gen 2 with framed windows has an awning type window and the awning arm does interfere with it opening more than a crack. Not a big deal because it's on the "wrong" side to put a hose in to flush the black tank and I got it primarily for the light.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0017_resize.JPG   IMGP0018_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #22

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Negative, my Gen 2 with framed windows has an awning type window and the awning arm does interfere with it opening more than a crack. Not a big deal because it's on the "wrong" side to put a hose in to flush the black tank and I got it primarily for the light.

Ron
Somehow the window in your photo doesn’t like like a slider window to me.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Oops my bad. Seems the problem could be easily remedied with a vertical slider like ETI used to install.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 PM   #24

That would have been my first choice. Maybe that size isn't available as a vertical slider. At any rate it hasn't proven to be any big deal and the window still lets the light in.

Ron
Old 10-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Boo on frameless windows & power awning. If one really researches you will find many issues for both. Conversely before either were available there were few, if any complaints for framed windows & manual awning.
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:29 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Pat
We have the sliders but the kitchen window and Escape window are awning . So I guess we have both Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #27

Trailer: 2021 21c
Thanks for all the input, it really helps making a decision on options. We’re going for the manual this time around
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We’ve had both manual and powered awnings - neither one was perfect - neither one was wrong
We wanted an awning and either style works for us - More important things to fret over !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Update on my electric awning

Just got off the phone with my authorized Dometic repair person.

The problem was a bad controller board. It was not behaving correctly or resetting properly. The board is in the camper behind the remote.

When notified Dometic seemed to recognize this issue. It is being handled under warranty, Dometic is being stingy with hours authorized. They exceeded the authorized hours within the first half hour in diagnosing it.

Looks like it will end okay! Fixed and back in a week! Cool! It looks like this is one to watch out for!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19'
Manual awning better for rain

Our 2017 19 came with the power awning as standard. We didn't have a choice of awnings at that time. The more we camped with the power awning during rainy trips, the more I was beginning to dislike it.

During one very rainy summer night, I looked out the kitchen window and thought it was going to break with the way the water had pooled on it! We quickly went outside and gently lifted it with the broomstick to dump the water. After that experience we realized that it made a great sun shade, but not great in keeping our stuff dry during rain.

The power awning looks great, but not very practical for our rainy BC weather. Probably better for the folks down south. We talked to Reace about it during last years Escape Rally, and decided to replace the power awning with a manual one.

For us it was the best decision and we've been very happy with it ever since.
No more worries of water pooling on the awning since we can have it tilted and fully extended to keep our stuff dry!
katzam29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having used both we prefer the automatic power awning. In heavy rain, extended half way it can handle the rain easily......picture from 2019 Mississippi River Rally
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1116.jpg  
Old 11-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having used both we prefer the automatic power awning. In heavy rain, extended half way it can handle the rain easily......picture from 2019 Mississippi River Rally
Trouble with that Jim is that I don't want half an awning when it rains. I want a full awning rain or shine. As a matter of fact when it rains I'd prefer an even bigger awning.
The good thing is we are both happy with what we have.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
Trouble with that Jim is that I don't want half an awning when it rains. I want a full awning rain or shine. As a matter of fact when it rains I'd prefer an even bigger awning.
The good thing is we are both happy with what we have.
Ah, you beat me to it. I guess I didn't want to rain on his parade.

The only way I see half an awning is that it's better than nothing. But I notice that when I have my manual awning fully extended in a downpour the rain and damp ground is under part of the perimeter covered by the awning. Rain does blow and bounce into part of the covered area. It still leaves a good amount of dry area which is nice. How much dry ground do you have with half an awning?

Ron, contributing once again to a thread that will never end.

Ron
Old 11-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #34

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Hey Jim, do you turn off the power to the wind sensor when you extend half way? We do the same thing with satisfactory results. We do not use it as a rain shelter. But once in as while a strong blast comes thru.

I don't have my mind made up at all, but this has certainly colored my vision. particularly if there are known problems with the main board. How often have I heard that over the years and it is never cheap to fix.

I'm gonna be very conservative now that I realize how delicate it is. Hopefully that will help. Half way out seems to be at least a partial answer.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #35

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
I wouldn't want to be sitting in that chair.

Some of us want to have compete use of the awning in the rain, not just an entryway. Don't want a center pole either, making it a manual/electric awning with an obstacle in the middle.

If you don't use your awning to live outside in the rain get an electric, otherwise for those of us who do enjoy sitting outside in the rain the obvious choice is manual.

I do understand many here don't sit outside under the awning for hours on end, but those of us who do don't kid ourselves. We also have a fire in our BioLite Fire Pit underneath the awning cooking food and/or keeping warm.

To sum it up: if you don't sit outside in the rain and want a awning for shade, perhaps a electric awning is for you. If you do sit outside in the rain, reading, enjoying a fire, etc. a manual is best. This paragraph was edited after considering Ron in BC's post (#35).

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

To sum it up: if you don't sit outside in the rain and want a awning for shade, the best awning is electric.

Enjoy,

Perry
Well I agree with everything you said except for the comment about shade.

The manual awning allows for a side awning giving much more shade. Since it can tolerate more wind and isn't in any danger of suddenly retracting the side awning stays out, almost full time sometimes.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.JPG